Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » is there something wrong with my oil pump

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: is there something wrong with my oil pump
88stroked50
¯
Member # 7585

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 88stroked50  Ford pictures for 88stroked50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
the ? is whats problem with the oil pump if the presure needle goes down after every stop i make? is there a problem with the pump or is it something else? car is a 88 foxbody thanks

[ September 29, 2007, 01:29 AM: Message edited by: HELRASR ]

Posts: 141 | From: Shark Tank | Registered: Apr 2007  |  :
Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
probably your oil pressure sending unit.

if it's not, then your engine needs a rebuild, or it's very low on oil.

[ September 29, 2007, 02:25 AM: Message edited by: Blind ]

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
88stroked50
¯
Member # 7585

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 88stroked50  Ford pictures for 88stroked50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
the car hasnt gotten an oil change in about 8 months could that be the cause of it???
Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
have you pulled the dipstick tube out and checked the oil level yet?

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
88stroked50
¯
Member # 7585

WELL THE TRUTH IS THAT THE DIP STICK IS PLUGGED AND I HAVE NO WAY TO CHECK THAT OUT. YOU THINK THAT MIGHT BE IT, THAT IT NEEDS OIL ADDED?
NvrGoFullRetard
CAFords OG
Member # 1633

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NvrGoFullRetard  Ford pictures for NvrGoFullRetard  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
then why dont u change your oil and put the amount of oil its supposed to have,and then see if its doing the samething. i had an 87 and the sending unit went bad(87-89's sending units were known to go bad).and if that dosent fix it your pump is prb.bad

--------------------
"formally 4.6 eatin gm's"
white 97gt n/a 320rwhp/325rwtq
01 sierra rcsb lsx 408 (murdered out)
03 ecsb sierra 6.0 on 22's
2011 Tahoe

Posts: 2759 | From: PITTSBURG/FAIRFIELD | Registered: Aug 2002  |  :
88stroked50
¯
Member # 7585

ok i understand that but the pump it has now was installed like 3500 miles ago. and its a high volume one to.
asskickn88
¯
Member # 4957

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for asskickn88  Ford pictures for asskickn88    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If your talking about the pressure dropping while its at idle thats normal. I'd do an oil change and put 5 fresh quarts of 10w40 or 20w50 in it. My old 88 with 118K would use a quart of oil every couple months and over 8 months you could be down half your oil so get it changed and put a dipstick in it. Its not worth half assing the car and blowing the motor because you didnt check or change the oil.... its like $10 for 5 quarts of oil and a filter!

--------------------
Three 540 Bimmers and a 5.0 Explorer.... got a Ford back in the stable!

It's time for the country to do what Obama's own father did.
Abandon him.

Posts: 6069 | From: Rocklin, Ca | Registered: Oct 2004  |  :
FOXWTIT
¯
Member # 7634

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for FOXWTIT  Ford pictures for FOXWTIT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
it could be bad main bearings.... the oil could be having a hard time getting to the rest of the block... trust me i had the same problem and ignored it thinking it was just a bad sending unit till suddenly my bearing welded to the crank and snaped the crankshaft in half.... im sure that my incedent is like a one in a million deal but i would still have that shit looked at... at least check oil pressure with a good gauge..
Posts: 39 | From: SAN LORENZO | Registered: May 2007  |  :
kingmoochr
¯
Member # 5834

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for kingmoochr  Ford pictures for kingmoochr    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
so if i read this right, you have no way to check it, and havent changed it in 8 months? the oil doesnt just SIT there doing nothing, it degrades and burns off. after 8 months im sure youve lost enough to have a low level. unbelieveable
TOPnotch
¯
Member # 1340

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for TOPnotch  Ford pictures for TOPnotch    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
That very common with the older fox body mustangs. The gauge will ride somewhere in the middle and as soon as you come to a stop it drops rapidly. The fox body mustang use a cast aluminum oil pump housing. The aluminum doesn't wear as good as the cast iron pumps do. You get alot of pressure bleed off at low RPMS. I have never really seen this cause a problem on stock engines. Its not a good thing, but I wouldn't worry too much about it. Change your oil put 5 fresh quarts in it and just drive it.

--------------------
The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgoten!!!

1QWKCHP
1QWKDRP

88stroked50
¯
Member # 7585

delete!

[ October 04, 2007, 09:51 PM: Message edited by: HELRASR ]

88stroked50
¯
Member # 7585

hey topnotch thanks for that. but dom you think it would be the same for a none stock enigine??? i have a 347 on my car. i heavent been driving it but when i did drive it, it would do that but it would still run good. have any suggestions on that?

[ October 04, 2007, 09:50 PM: Message edited by: HELRASR ]

warhorse58gt
¯
Member # 7702

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for warhorse58gt  Ford pictures for warhorse58gt  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
how much is it droping at idle? my car has 80 psi when drive it at over 2500rpm, but when i come to a stop it drops off about 20psi. soon as i run back up the rpms it picks back up. that is normal. now if you have 60psi and it drops to 0 thats bad. if the needle jumps around when you drive your oil is low. change the oil go to pick-n-pull and pay 5 bucks for a dip stick, it is easy to get 1 bolt and a little tug. if you have/or can borrow a good gauge check it with that.

--------------------
WOLFPACK RACING

With guns, we are 'citizens'. Without them, we are 'subjects'.

83gt 354ci sbf 9.40 @ 143
77 cobra 2 171ci 97hp of pure fury!

88stroked50
¯
Member # 7585

well my pressure isalway higher than 80 when im riding it but when i come to a stop it drops all the way down and than it comes up. but note this it doesnt do it all the time. just some times!
88stroked50
¯
Member # 7585

any more help!
BlownNOSMustang
¯
Member # 158

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlownNOSMustang  Ford pictures for BlownNOSMustang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Sounds like a oil sending unit. It's located at the boss fitting. Driver side of the car. above the oil filter. There about 15.00 bucks. Oil pressure will normally fluctuate at time when the motor is warm.

--------------------
1993 Hatch,363 CI,670 RWHP

Posts: 238 | From: Cow Town,USA. | Registered: Feb 2001  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com