Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Leak down test results, what exactly do they mean?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Leak down test results, what exactly do they mean?
166 Merlo
FELONY
MOTORSPORTS
Member # 1549

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 166 Merlo  Ford pictures for 166 Merlo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Wussup Cafords! My engine has 130 and has been boosted for the past 10k. 3rd set of head gaskets currently. still not 100% tuned. most of the air ended up coming out of the valve cover breather and throttle body. Oh yea and I performed the test on a cold engine. how would this affect my results?

Cylinders:

4-40% 8-40%
3-20% 7-20%
2-25% 6-25%
1-20% 5-20%

--------------------
'89 - Boss Coupe
'70 - Drop Cutthang
'68 - Cougnut
'87 - 0166, Its real

JohnB
Tech Moderator
Member # 969

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JohnB  Ford pictures for JohnB    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Did you rotate the engine over to BTDC for each test?? It doesn't look like it...

--------------------
1965 Shelby Cobra
1993 Cobra
2012 F150 Raptor
2020 GT500

Posts: 6523 | From: Orlando FL/Redding CA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :
Mean2001GT
¯
Member # 1750

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mean2001GT  Ford pictures for Mean2001GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
with all the head gaskets i'd be concerned if any bubbles were coming out of the radiator during the leak down. but if it's coming out of the breather it means you have blow-by. which is what is supposed to happen, especially when the engine is cold. but 40% is too high. 15%-25% is pretty average.

are you chasing a problem? or just testing? another test you may want to consider is a "running compression" test.

--------------------
--Silver 2001 GT--
13.020 @ 110.46
340.2 rwhp
339.8 rwtq

Posts: 158 | From: San Ramon, CA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  :
166 Merlo
FELONY
MOTORSPORTS
Member # 1549

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 166 Merlo  Ford pictures for 166 Merlo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
yea i matched up the rotor to the corresponding plug wire to do the test. No bubbles from the radiator [Smile]

I'm kinda chasing a problem, kinda just curious to see. haven't done a running compression test, what the difference between that and a regular compression test? I might have to look into that.

--------------------
'89 - Boss Coupe
'70 - Drop Cutthang
'68 - Cougnut
'87 - 0166, Its real

hidnn.o.s.
¯
Member # 1219

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for hidnn.o.s.  Ford pictures for hidnn.o.s.        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
From what I've seen, good leakdown numbers are BELOW 10%

Goodluck with that [Frown]

--------------------
R.I.P. Willie G. You are missed on this forum

88DroptopGT
¯
Member # 2535

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 88DroptopGT  Ford pictures for 88DroptopGT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Repeat the test with the engine at operating temperature since this is when you actually drive the car. The readings should be somewhat less then we are getting in reasonable territory.
hidnn.o.s.
¯
Member # 1219

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for hidnn.o.s.  Ford pictures for hidnn.o.s.        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Warm leakdown numbers should definitely be UNDER 10%

--------------------
R.I.P. Willie G. You are missed on this forum

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com