Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » help with hesitation at wot

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: help with hesitation at wot
1bdpone
¯
Member # 6708

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1bdpone  Ford pictures for 1bdpone    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Here's the problem: The car has a bad hesitation when under a load at WOT. For example - going 55-60mph in 5th and I floor it, it will hesitate/mis bad. Back off the pedal just a tad and it's fine. I notice it in the following gears 3,4 & 5. If I'm going going fast (higher rpm's) there is no hesitatin at wot. E.G. 70mph+ in 5th and I floor it (no problem).

My stang is stock except Ford Racing headers and Mac cold air intake.

The following parts have been replaced in the last 5000 miles: fuel filter, spark plugs, cap/rotor, 9mm plug wires, distributor, TFI module, alt, MAP sensor, clutch, flywheel and cleaned the MAF, throttlebody, IAC and injectors.

I am running out of ideas of what the problem is. Also, car gets 17-18mpg in town and 20-24 on the freeway. Also, passed smog just 2 months ago.

Posts: 182 | From: Tri Valley | Registered: Apr 2006  |  :
SmokinLX
¯
Member # 1684

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SmokinLX  Ford pictures for SmokinLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 1bdpone:
Here's the problem: The car has a bad hesitation when under a load at WOT. For example - going 55-60mph in 5th and I floor it, it will hesitate/mis bad. Back off the pedal just a tad and it's fine. I notice it in the following gears 3,4 & 5. If I'm going going fast (higher rpm's) there is no hesitatin at wot. E.G. 70mph+ in 5th and I floor it (no problem).

The following parts have been replaced in the last 5000 miles: fuel filter, spark plugs, cap/rotor, 9mm plug wires, distributor, TFI module, alt, MAP sensor, clutch, flywheel and cleaned the MAF, throttlebody, IAC and injectors.

I am running out of ideas of what the problem is. Also, car gets 17-18mpg in town and 20-24 on the freeway. Also, passed smog just 2 months ago.

I would'nt think a near stock car fox make enough torque to pull out of a low RPM, full throttle, 5th gear hit. What would You expect it to do? 5th gear is for cruising on the freeway so You are not even giving the car a chance IMO. Now You say there is no problem when You select the rite gear 2nd, 3rd, 4th @ the rite RPM so why not just stick with that [Confused] . If You were in a 700 rwhp/700rwtq fox You could get away with more but when You are nearly stock You have to pick Your gear's with care. I would also recommend a rear end gear change to give You more flexibility [Wink] .

--------------------
Dont claim power if ya cant mile per hour. 10 second AOD

1bdpone
¯
Member # 6708

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1bdpone  Ford pictures for 1bdpone    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
It does it in 3,4 and 5. I've owned 4 fox mustangs and non of them before this one has ever had this problem.
LQ9SN95
¯
Member # 7080

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for LQ9SN95  Ford pictures for LQ9SN95    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by SmokinLX:
quote:
Originally posted by 1bdpone:

I would'nt think a near stock car fox make enough torque to pull out of a low RPM, full throttle, 5th gear hit. What would You expect it to do? 5th gear is for cruising on the freeway so You are not even giving the car a chance IMO. Now You say there is no problem when You select the rite gear 2nd, 3rd, 4th @ the rite RPM so why not just stick with that [Confused] . If You were in a 700 rwhp/700rwtq fox You could get away with more but when You are nearly stock You have to pick Your gear's with care. I would also recommend a rear end gear change to give You more flexibility [Wink] .
no matter what, it is not supposed to miss or sputter like that. i had the same problem, i changed the fuel filter, got iridium plugs, and taylor wires and it ran like a champ. anything coulda happened wthin those 5,000mi. maybe ur wires are gettin burned or too hot due to the headers and u dont know it. so i would change those three things again, and get some sleeves for the wires aswell i know its not cheap for all that, but worth a try

[ September 21, 2007, 04:07 PM: Message edited by: F8LSN8K ]

--------------------
http://www.fastgms-teamfast.com
http://www.facebook.com/aop.fresno?ref=ts&fref=ts
Lq9 swap
102 fast intake
Trick flow heads
T rex cam

Posts: 8031 | From: Fresno, Ca | Registered: Sep 2006  |  :
92stangLX
¯
Member # 3252

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 92stangLX  Ford pictures for 92stangLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Have you checked for engine codes? What did you gap your plugs at? Also, do you have any exhaust leaks? Have you tried adjusting your TPS?
Posts: 5302 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Sep 2003  |  :
1bdpone
¯
Member # 6708

I don't have any engine codes and my plug gap is set to stock gap (I don't remember off the top of my head what it is). I am going to check my TPS this week. I am also replacing my h-pipe and o2 sensors this week or next (when the new one arrives). I am also going to replace the plugs, cap/rotor and coil at the same time.

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com