Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » finally made head decision!

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: finally made head decision!
BayAreaStang
¯
Member # 6908

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BayAreaStang  Ford pictures for BayAreaStang  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i think im going to finally get my new heads
after hours and hours of research and debating, i think im going to stick with the emissions legal afr 165's
i have a couple quick questions
1)what octane gas would i have to be running if i get these heads..im getting a intake and cam also, but still dont know which because trying to find best for these heads
2)how many hours of labor does it take to bolt these on
3)who knows anyone in san jose area that does quality work for this type of job

thanks in advance guys [Smile]

Posts: 38 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: Jul 2006  |  :
lxhatch5.0
¯
Member # 6319

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for lxhatch5.0  Ford pictures for lxhatch5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Probly one of the best decisions you made in awhile. AFR 165's are in my opiniuon the best 302 HO street heads out there. Just make sure the cam you choose clears the pistons, you can chose from a lot of intakes trickflow street heat, Edelbrock Performer, Holley Systemax. As for the head install, talk to HaulinassMaro aka HaulinAssMotorsports for the install. he's in your area and probly ur best bet. [Whoo Whooooo!]

--------------------
*Municipio Yanga Veracruz

BayAreaStang
¯
Member # 6908

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BayAreaStang  Ford pictures for BayAreaStang  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
allright thanks! ill try and get a hold of him
i was thinkin of doing the edelbrock intake ..still dont know tho and i dont know about cam..any ideas for a cam?
im trying to do this by this week.probably order the heads on monday....seen them on jegs..you know where i can get the best buy?

SmokinLX
¯
Member # 1684

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SmokinLX  Ford pictures for SmokinLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by BayAreaStang:
allright thanks! ill try and get a hold of him
i was thinkin of doing the edelbrock intake ..still dont know tho and i dont know about cam..any ideas for a cam?
im trying to do this by this week.probably order the heads on monday....seen them on jegs..you know where i can get the best buy?

You going to keep this NA or is a power adder going on later? I know that edelbrock and holley systemasx are strong contender's. If You are going to keep this combo NA and You are going to drop thousand's of dollar's into it then You should go to www.corral.net and do a search on cam's and have jay allen or one of the cam guru's set You up with a coustom cam, for a few hundred buck's You will take the guess work out of the equasion and know Your shit will run HARD! Oh and as far as the octane question if You think about it for 4 dollar's extra to fill up with super it is a no brainer! If You can't afford the premium gas then You can't afford Your planned upgrades [patriot] . You going to at least order up the upgraded spring package for the head's? What about the titanium keeper upgrade? [Whoo Whooooo!]

--------------------
Dont claim power if ya cant mile per hour. 10 second AOD

BayAreaStang
¯
Member # 6908

well i wanted to do the h/c/i upgrades as the main thing ..maybe a couple other mods here and there.i want to keep the car streetable still..
as for the cam .i will probably end up doing what you advised!..i just gotta hook up with one of them haha..and i was planning on getting the spring package but i dont know what that titanium thingy is..can you explain? sry not too experienced with this stuff but i want to learn!

SmokinLX
¯
Member # 1684

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SmokinLX  Ford pictures for SmokinLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
well i wanted to do the h/c/i upgrades as the main thing ..maybe a couple other mods here and there.i want to keep the car streetable still..
as for the cam .i will probably end up doing what you advised!..i just gotta hook up with one of them haha..and i was planning on getting the spring package but i dont know what that titanium thingy is..can you explain? sry not too experienced with this stuff but i want to learn!

Yeah I am no expert but I added the titanium keeper's, 10 degree lock's & installed some comp spring's to My afr 185's. The afr comes with steel keeper's "which are the quarter sized pieces that sit ontop of the valve spring's" so when You install the titanium keeper's it really lighten's up the valvetrain and the car to rev up quicker. They Made a nice difference on My car [burnout] .

--------------------

BayAreaStang
¯
Member # 6908

ooh really..allright ill look into those!
thx for input!

SmokinLX
¯
Member # 1684

quote:
ooh really..allright ill look into those!
thx for input!

Yeah the sprin's were around 125 and the titanium keeper's were around 300 so see if it makes since to order them all done up from afr or buy em seperate and do it yourself, which shoud be easy with the head's off the car.

--------------------

hidnn.o.s.
¯
Member # 1219

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for hidnn.o.s.  Ford pictures for hidnn.o.s.        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I'd advise skipping the 165's and go straight to the 185's. Better head now, and down the road with mods.

--------------------
R.I.P. Willie G. You are missed on this forum

90lxfoxbody
¯
Member # 6947

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 90lxfoxbody  Ford pictures for 90lxfoxbody    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
holley system max is the best stock long runner intake out there.
cams i would go tfs1 or a compucam 2031 ive made over 330 on both those cams and they are both smog legal.

--------------------
Owner Of All Out Performance
Ya I own that Cobra
Old setup whipple and jug 9.37 155
New twins hoping for 8.50s at 165

90lxfoxbody
¯
Member # 6947

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 90lxfoxbody  Ford pictures for 90lxfoxbody    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
185s you have to fly cut the pistons with anything over a .475 lift.The 2.02 intake valve will hit the piston.The 165 is a great street head for a stock short block and can easily make 330 to 340 whp on a stock short block.

--------------------
Ya I own that Cobra

hidnn.o.s.
¯
Member # 1219

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for hidnn.o.s.  Ford pictures for hidnn.o.s.        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 90lxfoxbody:
185s you have to fly cut the pistons with anything over a .475 lift.The 2.02 intake valve will hit the piston.The 165 is a great street head for a stock short block and can easily make 330 to 340 whp on a stock short block.

165's would be a cork at 340RWHP. 165's are good for a STOCK MOTOR, but going H/C/I, they are a cork in the system. Go 185's off the bat and you'll be much happier now AND down the road. In a year you'll be wishing you started with the 185's rather than selling the 165's, taking a big loss, and buying 185's.

Do it right the first time [burnout]

--------------------
R.I.P. Willie G. You are missed on this forum

BayAreaStang
¯
Member # 6908

imma look more into the 185's but i think i got my head straight on the 165's .heard nothing but great things about them!
Fox Lightning
¯
Member # 7658

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fox Lightning  Ford pictures for Fox Lightning    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by hidnn.o.s.:
quote:
Originally posted by 90lxfoxbody:

165's would be a cork at 340RWHP. 165's are good for a STOCK MOTOR, but going H/C/I, they are a cork in the system. Go 185's off the bat and you'll be much happier now AND down the road. In a year you'll be wishing you started with the 185's rather than selling the 165's, taking a big loss, and buying 185's.

Do it right the first time [burnout]

+1

--------------------
K7 Gsxr 750 (stock) 10.89 @ 137
68 Coupe N/A (stock) 302 t5 9" 12.2 ON 315-18" DR's (under construction)

Raider A's Warriors

SmokinLX
¯
Member # 1684

You running a stock bottom end? I would stick with the custom cam if it were Me.

--------------------

90lxfoxbody
¯
Member # 6947

well my aod car with 165s on a stock short block made 326 thats near 340 with a stick or a c4.Tell me how they are a cork?the flow numbers are real real close on the comp cncd 165s plus they have a smaller runner for better speed threw the port witch makes more tq and gives the car more snap and better feel on the street.If i recal they flo like 265 out of the box on a 302 cid motor thats PLENTY of air flow for a stock short block.

--------------------
Ya I own that Cobra

BayAreaStang
¯
Member # 6908

yeah i am going to get a custom cam but i need to find someone good to do it for me..i gotta research on that..we will see!!...also im getting an intake..would it be better to install both at once for labor cost issues? ...if so i might have to wait a bit for install on heads lol.
getjobdone
¯
Member # 4666

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for getjobdone  Ford pictures for getjobdone    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If you plan on staying N/A for a while then I'd suggest the performer rpm intake with those heads. then you can get a nice custom cam from FTI for that setup. check out their website, here is some info: http://www.flowtechinduction.com/fordcams.htm

That is the exact setup I went for, I believe mine was the Rebel series because it sounds rather aggressive. Not sure because I bought the package as a longblock off another member here. I've yet to dyno my setup but the guy i bought the motor from put down 320hp/330trq at the wheels untuned w/o any chip. All I've done is mess with FP and timing and my car pretty much hauls fuckin ass, I'd highly recomend that setup with the FTI cam. good luck

--------------------
91 notch ^ blown h/c/i

Posts: 677 | From: east bay,ca | Registered: Jul 2004  |  :
FasterDamnit
Bad Attitude
Member # 442

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for FasterDamnit  Ford pictures for FasterDamnit  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
AFR165 Heads + good intake (Edel RPM/ ported Cobra)+ stock cam retarded 4 degrees w/ 1.7 rockers = 300rwhp.

http://www.fordmuscle.com/archives/2003/06/afrinstall/

Just depends how much power you want vs. the cost. I love this combo for the FAT torque curve and totally stock idle and driving manners in traffic. The car could roll in 1st gear at idle in rush hour traffic. And that is enough power to squeek into the 11's w/ 60 foots below 1.65 (well done suspensiion and slicks.)

And if you want a tad more, buy the AFR 165 Comp heads.
http://www.fordmuscle.com/archives/2005/05/DynoDuel/

--------------------
'92 LX T5
Looked stock, went 11's 11.90 at 115mph.

'65 Mustang 347

www.fordmuscle.com

Livin' in the Carolina Pines

Curt
¯
Member # 6254

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Curt  Ford pictures for Curt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
 -

--------------------
'90 GT
'94 Toyota 4wd "It have problem"
'56 F100 5.8 AFR185's Vortech SC S-trim

Posts: 866 | From: Monterey/Rocklin | Registered: Nov 2005  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com