Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » starter getting stuck

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: starter getting stuck
chevyeatr
¯
Member # 7603

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for chevyeatr  Ford pictures for chevyeatr    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i have a 93 ford pickup with a 351 and my starter is getting stuck. by that i mean it starts my truck and all but the bendix won't go back into the starter housing. the only way it pops back is if i take off the small wire to the starter or just completely disconnect it. what could cause that. my starter solenoid is new my ignition lock where the key goes is new and the starter is also new. i burned two starters allready. help me asap thanks.

--------------------
iLliCiT FoRdS

Posts: 936 | From: caliFORDnia | Registered: Apr 2007  |  :
Ricks Hot Rod Lincoln
¯
Member # 7637

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ricks Hot Rod Lincoln  Ford pictures for Ricks Hot Rod Lincoln  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I would guess that the switch that is at the base of the steering column is bad.or that the rod that connects it to the key switch may be binding. I believe you need to drop the column to get to it. you also will need a security torx bit to remove the screws.
I hope this helps you out.
As a general FYI for all, if you look up parts online for Kragen, print up the info and bring it to the store as the store price is higher than on-line. and they will sell it for the lower price.(I learned this when I went for the new solenoid.) Also Kragen does a price match for its competitors and takes an additional 5% off thier price on like items.

[ September 05, 2007, 07:34 PM: Message edited by: Ricks Hot Rod Lincoln ]

--------------------
Son, Ya gonna drive me to drinkin if ya don't stop driving that Hot--Rod--Lincoln.

Posts: 46 | From: Sacramento, CA | Registered: May 2007  |  :
90lxfoxbody
¯
Member # 6947

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 90lxfoxbody  Ford pictures for 90lxfoxbody    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
well it sounds like it has a stuck plunger on the noid,burned contacts will cause this.Also check your firewall noid aswell.DO a voltage check at the little wire unhooked and see what it is in the crank postion and letting off the key.The starter is either hung in or the little wire has power to it in the rest postion.pretty simple system.if you have more questions pm me.

--------------------
Owner Of All Out Performance
Ya I own that Cobra
Old setup whipple and jug 9.37 155
New twins hoping for 8.50s at 165

chevyeatr
¯
Member # 7603

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for chevyeatr  Ford pictures for chevyeatr    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
yea they do a price match and a 5% off. it's better when u get a 20% off though haha thanks for the info i'm going to tackle the beast tomorrow. thanks

--------------------
iLliCiT FoRdS

Posts: 936 | From: caliFORDnia | Registered: Apr 2007  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com