Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » DOHC 302 Stroker or 03 cobra set up

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: DOHC 302 Stroker or 03 cobra set up
SAV SVT
¯
Member # 7848

Ford Icon 5 posted      Profile for SAV SVT  Ford pictures for SAV SVT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Blew my 98 cobra motor and not sure what set up to go with Im thinking a 03 cobra set up or strokin the block and doin heads and cams. what would put out more power? any feed back would be greatly appricated

--------------------
-SAVAGE HABITS-
SVT COBRA VERT

MustangNate
¯
Member # 4559

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for MustangNate  Ford pictures for MustangNate    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Stroke it and do the heads,cams,etc. and drop on a Kenne Bell.

--------------------
1989 Mustang LX Vert, 5.0 Auto

Mr.Lucky
CAFords OG
Member # 1772

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr.Lucky  Ford pictures for Mr.Lucky    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
what nate said...

stroked and kb 03/04 motor [Razz]

--------------------
95GT: Bolt ons.
Good sellers/buyers: Stangs R Us, 1SicGt, sn4bwc, racsirx, WickedStang, Autumnstang97, cali95gt

asskickn88
¯
Member # 4957

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for asskickn88  Ford pictures for asskickn88    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I'd do an 03/4 Cobra motor if you can find it. It should cost less than having a stroker built and then adding a blower. Another thing you could do is get an 03/4 long block and add an aftermarket turbo or blower system too.

--------------------
Three 540 Bimmers and a 5.0 Explorer.... got a Ford back in the stable!

It's time for the country to do what Obama's own father did.
Abandon him.

Posts: 6069 | From: Rocklin, Ca | Registered: Oct 2004  |  :
50 Deep
Jockin 03 Cobras
Member # 6216

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 50 Deep  Ford pictures for 50 Deep  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
how much money you got? [Big Grin]

the strokers gonna run you around 6 grand after all the parts and labor. add $1200 for new cams, around a $1000 for decent head work to make the heads flow nicely,(not to mention new valvetrain) and $600 to do a short runner intake. your lookin at around 10 grand for the work you seem like you want done.

or around 5 grand for forged internals after the labor and 2 to 3 grand for the blower, fuel system, and then you gota add in the cost of tuning it.

on the cobra end i think there was a guy selling the complete motor, wiring harness, & tranny for like 6 grand.

so i dont think you will get away with doing anything for less than 5 grand [dance]

--------------------
Signature Wheel Ford Representative
Email: Terrance@Signaturewheel.com
Instagram: @Signature_Wheel_Mustang
Web: www.SignatureWheel.com

Posts: 6043 | From: sacramento | Registered: Nov 2005  |  :
93PONY
Mr. Valve Events
Member # 60

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 93PONY  Ford pictures for 93PONY        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Do NOT do a KB on a non-intercooled setup. (96-98 'B' heads)

Step up to the 'C' (or newer) heads & you'll be able to run an 03 Cobra intake manifold/intercooler setup....then slap on a KB or Whapple.

--------------------
www.advancedenginedevelopment.com
SCT dealer
Dynotuning

(916)715-7569

Posts: 4265 | From: Fair Oaks, CA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  :
91 5.0 5speed
¯
Member # 1867

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 91 5.0 5speed  Ford pictures for 91 5.0 5speed    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
just get rid of the 98 and buy an 03 Cobra and call it a day [Cool]
93ReefBlue5.0
¯
Member # 5780

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 93ReefBlue5.0  Ford pictures for 93ReefBlue5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
well, what do you really want to do? supercharge/nitrous/turbo or just a built motor and headwork w/a short runner and cams... it all depends.. i personally like the idea of a bigbore 304 w/ 03/04 heads and some wicked cams... maybe a shot just to be safe..
Posts: 1535 | From: Sacramento, CA | Registered: Jun 2005  |  :
truthseeker
¯
Member # 4636

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for truthseeker  Ford pictures for truthseeker    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I just went through this and I did not have that much money to spend. However here is what I did:

I sent the block to VT Engines and I paid $4271+$150 shipping for the following

Using my block I got what they call their Cobra Billet Shortblock (using my block+crank) which consisted of:

(Bored my block .020 over
9cc CP forged Pistons
Oliver Billet Rods, All ARP bolts (mains), new oil pump, main seal,balanced)
$3400

New Forged Cobra Crank (mine was going to have to have the journals ground slightly but since I needed the engine asap they took mine as a trade and charged me what it was going to cost for the grinding and gave me a new Forged Cobra Crank)
$250.00

Freight from them to me $200.00

I had them add the following
Billet trigger $89.00
Billet oil pump gears $349.00

All for a Total of $4271.00

Then I had to buy all the gaskets for the engine, for the heads, water pump etc... 10% off (bought from Steve at Tousley Ford. He is on SVTPerformance.com) don't remember the total cost

Then the heads were overhauled/checked and cleaned locally for $300.

Replace all the hoses with Red Silicone hoses from
http://www.racerpartswholesale.com/silhose1.htm
for $249.10

ARP Headstuds I think I paid $169.00

2004 Ford Cobra Aluminum Radiator (classifieds) $100

ARP Crank Bolt $12.95

I bought a T56 from RPM transmissions with

Media blast transmission case
Solid synchronizer keys
Steel 3-4 shifter fork
Hand fit sliders and hubs
New Compressed Carbon blocking rings
Assembly to our specifications
Bronze shifter bushing (n/a for Corvette)
Bronze fork pads
Viper Fifth Gear .74 ratio
Viper Sixth Gear .50 ratio

for $1600 shipped

New Spec Stage 2+ Clutch and Flywheel for $300 shipped from Nitro Mustang

New Fidanza Aluminum Flywheel (e-bay) $300

MMR Race Oil Pan $229

Canton Windage Tray $68.95

New Ford Shorty Headers (e-bay) $150 shipped

New HO Water Pump from Ford (Steve on SVT performance) less than $100 don't remember the exact price

Labor=$0

I did it all by myself, because I refuse to pay $1700 (what I was quoted by a shop near where I work)to pull and put back in a engine.
This was the first time I had ever taken a car engine apart (although I have done ~20 motorcycle engines). As long as you take pictures and have a shop manual it is pretty easy.

All this cost ~ $8000.00

I think if I had to do it over again I would sell my heads (B-heads) and buy C-heads. The reason why is that now my only high HP option for a supercharger is a centrifical since KB's need a intercooler to get over about 400HP without massive heatsoak and they do NOT make one for B-heads. In January I will be getting a Novi 2000, but I do not know how much boost I will be running yet. I also probably would have just went with Manley rods and Diamond pistons since they are a lot cheaper than what I have and they will hold plenty of HP+Torque. The rods and pistons I have are overkill for less than 800HP.

I also sold must of my old stuff. I do have some new valve cover gaskets, upper and lower manifold gaskets, left over (given to me from a friend who works at a Ford dealer after I had installed everything). If you need them PM me and we can work something out.

Also, I did not do long tubes or cams since I don't want to have to deal with the smog ref.

Hope that helps some! Good luck!

[ September 05, 2007, 11:44 PM: Message edited by: truthseeker ]

--------------------
1998 SVT Cobra Convertible | VT Cobra Billet Shortblock | T56 Tranny with Viper 5th and 6th | #3425 of 3480 | 17x9 + 17x11 CCW Classic's | 4.10 gears

Posts: 226 | From: Elk Grove, CA | Registered: Jun 2004  |  :
SAV SVT
¯
Member # 7848

Ford Icon 14 posted      Profile for SAV SVT  Ford pictures for SAV SVT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Right on for all the feed back. Im goin to build the motor 302 stroker cams heads the whole nine. ill post some pics and numbers when shes done

--------------------
-SAVAGE HABITS-
SVT COBRA VERT

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com