Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » speedometer problems

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: speedometer problems
925GT50
¯
Member # 2683

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 925GT50  Ford pictures for 925GT50  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i was driving today after i installed my x pipe and noticed the speedo got jumpy then dropped and nothing.

Now i have no mph readings or odometer as well. what shoould i look for bad speedo cable?

its on a 90 gt

--------------------
1990 GT hatch (owned since 05')
1988 GT (sold)
1995 SN95 Cobra (totaled/parted)
1995 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am LT1 (daily driver)

Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
personally I'd look for a melted speedo cable stuck to your new X pipe.

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
925GT50
¯
Member # 2683

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 925GT50  Ford pictures for 925GT50  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
ok a section of the cable is melted, i noticed it before though. when i had my clutch done, dude didnt fully secure the cable.

I guess i have to replace the whole cable correct?

--------------------
1988 GT (sold)

adower
¯
Member # 5955

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for adower  Ford pictures for adower    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by NOR-CAL*925* GT 50:
ok a section of the cable is melted, i noticed it before though. when i had my clutch done, dude didnt fully secure the cable.

I guess i have to replace the whole cable correct?

Id say yes. I hear routing the cable is a pain in the ass.

--------------------
98 Cobra
Griggs
S Trim
HRE

Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
routing the speedo cable is really easy, there's 1 metal clip on the frame rail on the drivers side that you attach it to, then just get it into the VSS on the trans and into the right hole on the firewall so you can hook it to your speedo.

pretty easy, but still a pain in the ass to have to pull the gauge cluster, I hate doing that.

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
925GT50
¯
Member # 2683

ya i hate messing with the cluster. im going to order a new cable from 50resto. ill keep updateing as i progress. [patriot]

--------------------
1988 GT (sold)

adower
¯
Member # 5955

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for adower  Ford pictures for adower    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by NOR-CAL*925* GT 50:
ya i hate messing with the cluster. im going to order a new cable from 50resto. ill keep updateing as i progress. [patriot]

Please post progress. I have to do this also very soon! [patriot]

--------------------
98 Cobra
Griggs
S Trim
HRE

925GT50
¯
Member # 2683

ok I installed my new cable from 50resto and i still have the same problem. It went straightforward but was also a PITA.

Could the sensor that the cable plugs in be bad?

--------------------
1988 GT (sold)

nor*cal93ssp
¯
Member # 3884

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for nor*cal93ssp  Ford pictures for nor*cal93ssp    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Blind:
routing the speedo cable is really easy, there's 1 metal clip on the frame rail on the drivers side that you attach it to, then just get it into the VSS on the trans and into the right hole on the firewall so you can hook it to your speedo.

pretty easy, but still a pain in the ass to have to pull the gauge cluster, I hate doing that.

i hear you on removing the cluster...most of them are a B I T C H!!!!!to come out, Ford makes the wiring an exact length with no slack to give u much room to work with...GL!
925GT50
¯
Member # 2683

CLuster took 5 mins tops to pull, now i replaced the cable but still have the saem problem?

Im thinking its the gear, or the sensor that could be bad. any else run into this problem?

--------------------
1988 GT (sold)

JohnB
Tech Moderator
Member # 969

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JohnB  Ford pictures for JohnB    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Sensor has no effect on your speedo. One of four things are bad; speedo, speedo gear, trans internal speedo gear, cable. That's it.

--------------------
1965 Shelby Cobra
1993 Cobra
2012 F150 Raptor
2020 GT500

Posts: 6523 | From: Orlando FL/Redding CA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :
925GT50
¯
Member # 2683

Im going to check the gear that the sensor plugs into. ill ed up replacing it most likely. if it still doesnt work im going to swap out the cluster. thanks everyone for the help.

--------------------
1988 GT (sold)

LQ9SN95
¯
Member # 7080

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for LQ9SN95  Ford pictures for LQ9SN95    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
try the speedo gear. worth a shot and the next cheapest thing to do.

--------------------
http://www.fastgms-teamfast.com
http://www.facebook.com/aop.fresno?ref=ts&fref=ts
Lq9 swap
102 fast intake
Trick flow heads
T rex cam

Posts: 8031 | From: Fresno, Ca | Registered: Sep 2006  |  :
Ricks Hot Rod Lincoln
¯
Member # 7637

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ricks Hot Rod Lincoln  Ford pictures for Ricks Hot Rod Lincoln  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If you need to get a new gear, make sure it has the correct number of teeth and that the teeth run the same direction as the old one. Ford makes the with right and left handed teeth.

--------------------
Son, Ya gonna drive me to drinkin if ya don't stop driving that Hot--Rod--Lincoln.

Posts: 46 | From: Sacramento, CA | Registered: May 2007  |  :
Curt
¯
Member # 6254

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Curt  Ford pictures for Curt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
when you pull the cluster you can install brighter backlights! I put LED's in mine

--------------------
'90 GT
'94 Toyota 4wd "It have problem"
'56 F100 5.8 AFR185's Vortech SC S-trim

Posts: 866 | From: Monterey/Rocklin | Registered: Nov 2005  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com