Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Still having front end problems...HELP!

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Still having front end problems...HELP!
CLEEN 50
CAFords OG
Member # 5867

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for CLEEN 50  Ford pictures for CLEEN 50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Issue 1: Ok heres my problem. Whenever I'm coming out of driveways and when turning slowing I hear a POP noise like something just came out of a socket or something. I have taken my car into my friends shop who discovered that my sway bar end links were snapped and that my inner tie rods need replacing due to having an extensive amount of play in them. So I went ahead and replaced these parts thinking it would get rid of that 'POP' sound, but no luck. I'm trying to narrow it down, but really have no idea what it could be and neither does my mechanic buddy.

Somethings that come to mind are:
- Maybe I need new front spring isolators (could the isolators be so worn that the spring itself loses its seating while turning?
- Steering rack/shaft problem
- Front Control arm/bushings/ball joint issue
- Wheel bearings? [Confused]
- Could it be motor mounts? (doubt it)

The sound usually comes when turning into or exiting a driveway. or Stop and go turning. You know how when you enter a driveway and your first wheel hits the slant resulting in your 2 wheels being at different levels. Well, when slowly going into that dip the front end just makes this pop sound. That can only be described as something popping out place then back into place. I have no idea what it is. Sorry for the vague description, but I dont know how to better describe it. Any suggestions, answers, solution would be greatly appreciated.

1991 Mustang GT HB Suspension setup
Ford C springs w/ old stock isolators
10-way adjustable Strange shocks/struts
Sub Frame connectors
Rear control arms

Issue 2: I also mentioned this before in another thread, but it seems my car sits slightly higher on the passenger side than on the driver. I can stick 3 fingers vertically in gap between the tire and the fender on the passenger side whereas on the driver side I can only stick 2. I have had the springs checked for alignment and had them reinstalled. How do you fix this?

I'd be willing to do anything at this point to get to the root of the problem. If a knowledgable person wants to take my car for a test drive then by all means let me know. I'd like to get this straightened out before I go in for an alignment. I'd appreciate any help in these areas. Thanks ahead.

Thanks
Gus [patriot]

[ August 23, 2007, 06:01 PM: Message edited by: CLEEN 50 ]

--------------------
91 GT
(cafords reg date: 6/02)

Posts: 2534 | From: Peninsula | Registered: Jul 2005  |  :
Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
a) front struts need spacers between the c/c plate top and the nut, the nut bottomed out before the strut was firmly into place.

b) ball joint

My money is on a), but it would probably clunk while going over rough roads.

b) is the most likely *pop* cause when turning and going up a driveway.

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
CLEEN 50
CAFords OG
Member # 5867

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for CLEEN 50  Ford pictures for CLEEN 50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Blind:
a) front struts need spacers between the c/c plate top and the nut, the nut bottomed out before the strut was firmly into place.

b) ball joint

thanks Blind. Question: Would one or both of these issues be found/addressed while having an alignment shop install cc plates?

thanks [patriot]

[ August 24, 2007, 12:01 AM: Message edited by: CLEEN 50 ]

--------------------
91 GT
(cafords reg date: 6/02)

Posts: 2534 | From: Peninsula | Registered: Jul 2005  |  :
94_5.0
¯
Member # 6130

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 94_5.0  Ford pictures for 94_5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
cv boots?

--------------------
94 5.0 VERT>> (TOTALED, IDIOT DRIVERS) Obama 50% white 50% black 100% Genious.

Posts: 510 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Oct 2005  |  :
Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by CLEEN 50:
quote:
Originally posted by Blind:

b) ball joint

thanks Blind. Question: Would one or both of these issues be found/addressed while having an alignment shop install cc plates?

thanks [patriot]

when installing MM c/c plates the instructions have you install spacers below and above the plate and make some measurements to make sure the nut actually torques, rather than bottoms out.

balljoints can be checked with a long prybar, just get some leverage against the bottom of the strut / spindle and pry up and try to get it to move.

jacking up the front end and grabbing the wheel at various opposite locations of a clock face and giving it a firm shake can also help you find where the clunk is from.

--------------------
02 Harley F150, 15psi

nor*cal93ssp
¯
Member # 3884

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for nor*cal93ssp  Ford pictures for nor*cal93ssp    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 94_5.0:
cv boots?

now thats classic..lol
Hungry Hippo
¯
Member # 537

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hungry Hippo  Ford pictures for Hungry Hippo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
cv boots or the transfer case, lol

i don't know if foxes have this, but on my 94 there was a brace for the k-member and the bolts would work themselves loose. i tightened them up and the noise went away.

--------------------
05 S4 Avant(wagon)
09 C6 H/C/I

Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

yeah foxes don't have that stock, I only know about it because my 97 has one and I had to fucking take it off to get the motor + trans in [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com