Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Does overheating engine cause it to bog?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Does overheating engine cause it to bog?
Jim Wood
¯
Member # 5531

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jim Wood  Ford pictures for Jim Wood    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Hi,

I was at thunderhill this weekend and my 89 v8 mustang which is basically stock would bog down and was way down on power after the first couple of runs.

My question is does the engine go into a type of safe mode or something if it overheats?

I know my 03 Cobra would get heat soak and shut down, but need some advice if this is something that could be heat related before I start looking elsewhere.

The car has a Griffin radiator and electric fan.

Thanks.

89Rodknocker
CAFords OG
Member # 2951

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 89Rodknocker  Ford pictures for 89Rodknocker    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I believe this is right if i'm wrong someone please correct me. But when the car starts to run too hot the computer pulls timing to avoid engine damage. Thats why there is to temp sensors on the intake one for the gauge and one for the computer. I'd recommend running a mr. gasket or robert shaw high flow t-stat cools the car fast.

--------------------
89 lx (stolen and stripped)
94 gt runner (sold)
89 lx Stock(sold)
86 gt T-trim (sold)
73 Camaro BBC
01 5.0 Explorer limited Borlas (sold)

Jdub07
( O Y O )
Member # 2728

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jdub07  Ford pictures for Jdub07    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
my car overheated a little on Saturday...it felt the same but threw up coolant out of the radiator cap. I have a manual electric fan though (switch activated) and forgot to turn it on. Bogging no...my 89 lx would bog though when the SECOND TFI modual I had was heating up too much. Car would cut out completely. I swapped TFI's with a Motorcraft one and was golden.
Jim Wood
¯
Member # 5531

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jim Wood  Ford pictures for Jim Wood    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Jdub07:
my car overheated a little on Saturday...it felt the same but threw up coolant out of the radiator cap. I have a manual electric fan though (switch activated) and forgot to turn it on. Bogging no...my 89 lx would bog though when the SECOND TFI modual I had was heating up too much. Car would cut out completely. I swapped TFI's with a Motorcraft one and was golden.

The TFI is located on the Distributor?

When you say the car cut out, was that a momentary pause where the engine was not firing and then it would fire?

Under hard acceleration the engine would momentarily pause and then pick up again.

Jdub07
( O Y O )
Member # 2728

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jdub07  Ford pictures for Jdub07    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Wood:
quote:
Originally posted by Jdub07:

The TFI is located on the Distributor?

When you say the car cut out, was that a momentary pause where the engine was not firing and then it would fire?

Under hard acceleration the engine would momentarily pause and then pick up again.

At first is didn't cut out completely...it would bog then pick up downt the street then bog again then finally it would die. Still would turn over. Then fire up and same thing...about 3-4 times then I smacked it with a screwdriver and it was good as new...I went strait home and swaped it out.

Usually tfi's just go out. They either work or they don't Your issue sounds a bit different, maybe borrow someones tfi that you know is good.

turbo50
¯
Member # 6700

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for turbo50  Ford pictures for turbo50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I had a fuel pump that would get hot when low on fuel and overheat.

Ran fine when it was cool out or fresh tank of gas.

Took forever and a day to figure that one out.

--------------------
.........when was the last time YOU built something with YOUR own hands?

I offer quality sidework at reasonable prices. PM ME

Posts: 7606 | From: Discovery Bay, California | Registered: Apr 2006  |  :
turbo50
¯
Member # 6700

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for turbo50  Ford pictures for turbo50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 89Rodknocker:
I believe this is right if i'm wrong someone please correct me. But when the car starts to run too hot the computer pulls timing to avoid engine damage. Thats why there is to temp sensors on the intake one for the gauge and one for the computer. I'd recommend running a mr. gasket or robert shaw high flow t-stat cools the car fast.

Drove my car all the way home from Sears point after blowing the headgasket on a nitrous run.

Car was at 290-300 the whole way home (about 30 miles) never bogged down.

--------------------
.........when was the last time YOU built something with YOUR own hands?

I offer quality sidework at reasonable prices. PM ME

Posts: 7606 | From: Discovery Bay, California | Registered: Apr 2006  |  :
Mr2MCHVNM
¯
Member # 6906

Ford Icon 11 posted      Profile for Mr2MCHVNM  Ford pictures for Mr2MCHVNM  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
hahahah everyone is soooo quick to get way off of topic, my 2000 GT gets very slow when it gets hot, I have been through 5 YES I SAID 5 Fluidyne radiators thanks to leaks where the tubes are welded to the tanks in the top corners... the car only over heated a few times during all this and every time it would go up to a higher idle to maitain a higher speed for the water pump and the as the first guy said the computer pulled out a lot of timing so it felt really sluggish... so far this has gone away as soon as the car cools down and the problem is fixxed
Wolfie351
¯
Member # 651

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wolfie351  Ford pictures for Wolfie351    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Sounds exactly like vapor lock to me. But, since I am a carb guy, the EFI people here can tell you if that's even possible with a high pressure fuel system.

Now that the car has sat for a few days, how does it run now?

--------------------
1985 Mustang GT: 351W, Griggs, Baer, etc etc

Posts: 1214 | From: South Bay | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com