Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » 95 GTS detonating, pinging if under 50psi fuel pressure...

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: 95 GTS detonating, pinging if under 50psi fuel pressure...
06Xrunner
¯
Member # 6992

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 06Xrunner  Ford pictures for 06Xrunner  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Yeah you read it correctly... Let me explain...

OK so I bought this 95 GTS 5spd 5.0L with 130k on her. It has one header and one stock manifold(???), 2.5in tubing with shit X-pipe and THEN the cats, followed by 2 imitation flowmasters and no tailpipes, 65mm motorsport throttle body, lightning fuel pump, autolite oe plugs, k&n air filter, and mac pulleys. I just installed the lightning fuel pump because the car was pinging in every gear and pump was REALLY loud, and replaced the gas tank filler neck seal. Next time I drove it after the new pump I got out and heard a hissing sound under the fuel tank, it sounds like its coming from the filler neck/tank seal. I took the gas cap off and I heard the pressure release, I figured maybe the cap was bad and not allowing it to vent properly so I went and bought a new one, it didn't help.

Last night some friends and I went to redding drag strip. I ran my car and ran a 15.0 (with an awful 60ft) slow yes but with the previous pump I ran a 16.6 pinging down the whole track. This time the car was pinging at WOT in 3rd above 3k rpm. I'm not sure what the timing was at but the fuel pressure was at 50psi. A friend of mine told me that my fuel pressure was WAAAY to high and to lower it to 36, and set the timing at 14*. So I did as he said, got up to the tree, light turned green and immediately starting pinging so I got off of it and coasted.

Today I reset the timing at 10*, started with the fuel pressure at 36 with hose off car pinged like crazy, I played with the timing going between 8-14* and fuel pressure from 36psi to 50psi. Now I'm at 10* with 50 PSI of fuel pressure and the car still pings in 3rd like when I ran at the track last night but now if I rev the car up out of gear it backfires and pops, which it didn't do before taking my friends advice. I don't know what the hell to do now... On and I removed the little resistor (little grey plug) or whatever it is when adjusting the timing and put it back in when I set it.

Just to make sure of one other thing, of the harmonic balancer there are 2 different degrees it does from 10-0 then 0-20, I am supposed to have it set to the degrees on the 0-20 side right? I just want to make sure of that. And I set it to the correct pointer because I was wondering about that also... Any help would be appreciated. Honestly at this point all I want to do is get rid of the thing! AHHHHHHH!!!!!

The injectors are orange which I believe are 19lb.
The Mass Air says:

F2VF-12B579-A2A
AFH70-04

4M21

[ August 13, 2007, 12:38 AM: Message edited by: 06Xrunner ]

--------------------
01 Black GT 526WHP sold
2012 5.0 GT 625WHP sold
1984 Buick G/N Built and boosting...

Posts: 2124 | From: Chico, Ca | Registered: Aug 2006  |  :
FasterDamnit
Bad Attitude
Member # 442

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for FasterDamnit  Ford pictures for FasterDamnit  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
What injectors and MAF? Sounds like a serious mismatch somewhere.

--------------------
'92 LX T5
Looked stock, went 11's 11.90 at 115mph.

'65 Mustang 347

www.fordmuscle.com

Livin' in the Carolina Pines

06Xrunner
¯
Member # 6992

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 06Xrunner  Ford pictures for 06Xrunner  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The injectors are orange which I believe are 19lb.
The Mass Air says:

F2VF-12B579-A2A
AFH70-04

4M21

--------------------
01 Black GT 526WHP sold
2012 5.0 GT 625WHP sold
1984 Buick G/N Built and boosting...

Posts: 2124 | From: Chico, Ca | Registered: Aug 2006  |  :
JohnB
Tech Moderator
Member # 969

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JohnB  Ford pictures for JohnB    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The MAF's on the 94-95's are notorious for being dirty and causing detonation. Make sure the element is CLEAN (can't stress this enough) as well as the air cleaner/element. One way to check this is unplug the MAF and immediately drive it. If your condition is cured, you found your problem. (warning...it will idle like crap..)

--------------------
1965 Shelby Cobra
1993 Cobra
2012 F150 Raptor
2020 GT500

Posts: 6523 | From: Orlando FL/Redding CA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :
92stangLX
¯
Member # 3252

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 92stangLX  Ford pictures for 92stangLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 06Xrunner:
... It has one header and one stock manifold(???), 2.5in tubing with shit X-pipe and THEN the cats, followed by 2 imitation flowmasters and no tailpipes, ...

Dude, that exhaust system sounds seriously jacked [Eek!]

Where are your 02's located? Do you have any exhaust leaks? Also, dump the codes.

You shouldn't have to set your FP to 50 psi so that it runs right.

Posts: 5302 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Sep 2003  |  :
92stangLX
¯
Member # 3252

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 92stangLX  Ford pictures for 92stangLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by JohnB:
The MAF's on the 94-95's are notorious for being dirty and causing detonation. Make sure the element is CLEAN (can't stress this enough) as well as the air cleaner/element. One way to check this is unplug the MAF and immediately drive it. If your condition is cured, you found your problem. (warning...it will idle like crap..)

You can buy MAF/electrical cleaner at Kragen's just spray it on the element and let it dry [patriot]
92stangLX
¯
Member # 3252

Here is how to check codes on an OBD1 car

http://sbftech.com/index.php/topic,2471.0.html

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com