Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » rod bearings change

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: rod bearings change
marvinstanggts
¯
Member # 7764

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for marvinstanggts  Ford pictures for marvinstanggts    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
how hard is it to change the rod bearings and how much do rebuilds go for and doesany body no any good shops to go to in the southbay
Curt
¯
Member # 6254

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Curt  Ford pictures for Curt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
getting to them is hard. changing them is easy.

Here's why: our cars have a double sump oil pan, and that pan is straddling the k-member. (heh)

You will either have to raise the engine enough to pull the pan or remove the k-member, the good news is that when you get the pan off the bearings pop right off.

--------------------
'90 GT
'94 Toyota 4wd "It have problem"
'56 F100 5.8 AFR185's Vortech SC S-trim

Posts: 866 | From: Monterey/Rocklin | Registered: Nov 2005  |  :
turbo50
¯
Member # 6700

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for turbo50  Ford pictures for turbo50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by marvinshields:
how hard is it to change the rod bearings and how much do rebuilds go for and doesany body no any good shops to go to in the southbay

Sleezing a rod bearing is just not a good idea for any high perf. application. For a daily driver like a saturn or something, then ya.

I know tons of folks have gotten away with murder when it comes to stock shortblocks out of forged piston roller motor 5 point slows but I wouldnt go through the headache and work to sleeze a rod bearing in.

Unless you have only started it a couple times and maybe driven it at part throttle for a very short time, you are probably going to need crank work and maybe a rod resized.

Just too cheap to pick up a used short or longblock nowadays. I see them go from 250-500 and run perfect.

BUT if you insist, it can be done with some time, emery cloth and a new bearing. It is also a total bitch to get a torque wrench up in there even with the pan totally out of the way.

--------------------
.........when was the last time YOU built something with YOUR own hands?

I offer quality sidework at reasonable prices. PM ME

Posts: 7606 | From: Discovery Bay, California | Registered: Apr 2006  |  :
92stangLX
¯
Member # 3252

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 92stangLX  Ford pictures for 92stangLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If you spun a rod bearing there could be other damage to the motor as well.

IMO, you are better off pulling it out and going through the whole thing.

Posts: 5302 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Sep 2003  |  :
kingmoochr
¯
Member # 5834

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for kingmoochr  Ford pictures for kingmoochr    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
if your motor is making noise due to a bearing, replacing it is impossible.
93grbrGT
¯
Member # 6655

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 93grbrGT  Ford pictures for 93grbrGT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Your better off pulling the motor. I just went through this when I helped a friend with "some strange noise". Crank didn't look to pretty......
Curt
¯
Member # 6254

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Curt  Ford pictures for Curt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
might as well buy a good used shortblock from Ford Sale, Ive seen them run from $200, or take this as an opportunity to build the 347 of your dreams! [Big Grin]

--------------------
'90 GT
'94 Toyota 4wd "It have problem"
'56 F100 5.8 AFR185's Vortech SC S-trim

Posts: 866 | From: Monterey/Rocklin | Registered: Nov 2005  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com