Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » gear whine question...

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: gear whine question...
spegull03
¯
Member # 2842

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for spegull03  Ford pictures for spegull03    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
my gears are getting pretty loud. they didnt make any noise for a while, then a little whine was noticed with the back seats folded down, but now its pretty loud even with the seats up. i can hear it over my o/r prochamber and magnapacks, which isnt a good thing [Frown] do i have any options to quiet it down, short of doing a whole new install?

also is the whine going to wear down the gears faster, leading to possible destruction while driving down the road? [Confused]

68dustin
CAFords OG
Member # 5388

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 68dustin  Ford pictures for 68dustin    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
the only thing i can say is save up to get new ones ..and maybe check ur fluid if you havent already..
Posts: 3986 | From: neverland | Registered: Feb 2005  |  :
asskickn88
¯
Member # 4957

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for asskickn88  Ford pictures for asskickn88    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Pull your cover and check the oil thats in it. If its for the most part clean then I would just go a bit thicker and put it back together. If its full of metal then I would go see JohnB and have them replaced. Every set of aftermarket gears I've had make some noise..... the 4.10's in my 96 are loud as hell but the oil looks almost like it just came out of the bottle so I keep running them.

--------------------
Three 540 Bimmers and a 5.0 Explorer.... got a Ford back in the stable!

It's time for the country to do what Obama's own father did.
Abandon him.

Posts: 6069 | From: Rocklin, Ca | Registered: Oct 2004  |  :
Jessie P
¯
Member # 7073

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jessie P  Ford pictures for Jessie P    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Adjust the backlash. You should be fine.

--------------------
Member of The Track Legion
Know Your Worth... Expect Nothing Less

Posts: 594 | From: Roseville, Ca. | Registered: Sep 2006  |  :
50 Deep
Jockin 03 Cobras
Member # 6216

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 50 Deep  Ford pictures for 50 Deep  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i had whine in my gears when i got them installed. i recently found out thought that some of the whine is coming from my transmission and not the rear end. u may want to check that as well to be sure. as well as the fluids. did u just get gears installed or is this the stock rear end? have u been beating on them?
Posts: 6043 | From: sacramento | Registered: Nov 2005  |  :
nine
¯
Member # 6732

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for nine  Ford pictures for nine    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Some things that will help figure out what's going on:

What is the ratio?
How many miles have you driven on them?
What brand are they?
What viscosity is in the diff?
Where did you set the backlash?

[ August 04, 2007, 10:18 PM: Message edited by: nine ]

HaulinAss Motorsports
Its a STREETRaceCar!
Member # 541

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for HaulinAss Motorsports  Ford pictures for HaulinAss Motorsports    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Jessie P:
Adjust the backlash. You should be fine.

This couldnt be farther from the truth

Anyhow if you have an aftermarket gear you will get noise as its common with them as they are made from a softer material than that of a oem gear.But there is a number of reasons that cause a rear noise/whine.When does this noise happen? Is it all the time,on or off the gas,at or above certain speeds? All of these issues have different reasons for the whine.It can be a gear issue or a bearing issue.Its a guessing game wihtout more specific info or taking the cover off for further inspection.

Posts: 22471 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Nov 2001  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com