Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Possible smog test issue?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Possible smog test issue?
CA FiveOh
¯
Member # 7429

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for CA FiveOh  Ford pictures for CA FiveOh    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Hello there,
I am about to become a california resident, so now I'm going to have to get my Mustang registered for CA plates. I'm currently running a ProCharger P1SC, 42lb injectors, and calibrated Pro Tube MAF. This combo is tuned via a Tweecer RT and would most likely pass the sniffer test, but since they don't run the car at WOT I'm just going to put the stock MAF and stock 19lb injectors back on for the test.
My question is this...I have swapped out the automatic for a 5-speed in this car, and someone was telling me that this could potentially make it fail a visual inspection due to the fact when they pull the VIN # it will say it's supposed to be an auto. Does anyone know if there's any truth to this, because the last thing I am going to do is put the auto tranny back in the car every couple of years just to pass smog! I wouldn't think a transmission would affect emissions anyways. Well, if anyone has any experience with this please let me know.

Thanks,
Kyle

--------------------
91 LX Notch, AFR 165 heads, E303 cam, FRPP Cobra intake, 42lb injectors, intercooled ProCharger P1SC (9 psi), 3.73's, TwEECer RT

asskickn88
¯
Member # 4957

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for asskickn88  Ford pictures for asskickn88    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The trans wont make any difference in the test and they dont care what changes were made in that area. One thing you need is to have all the CARB numbers for all your aftermarket parts and find a shop thats mod friendly. Some shops will see aftermarket parts and wont even run the car.

--------------------
Three 540 Bimmers and a 5.0 Explorer.... got a Ford back in the stable!

It's time for the country to do what Obama's own father did.
Abandon him.

Posts: 6069 | From: Rocklin, Ca | Registered: Oct 2004  |  :
306 fifty
¯
Member # 6749

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 306 fifty  Ford pictures for 306 fifty    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i need to smog my car toobut i dont know if my cold air intake is illegal. does any body know of any mod firendly shops iin the fairfield area?
nine
¯
Member # 6732

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for nine  Ford pictures for nine    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
According to the smogcheck handbook, as long as the air intake has all the factory provisions for PCV, it will be legal. However, once they get their license, many smog technicians never bother to reference the handbook...
nine
¯
Member # 6732

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for nine  Ford pictures for nine    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
As for the OP, the 42's alone would make your car illegal. However, most techs don't know what they're looking at. Unfortunately, many of them will reject your car simply because of the SC. In short, YMMV.

Good luck...

1988notchback
¯
Member # 4498

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1988notchback  Ford pictures for 1988notchback  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
when u do the smog test the vin will put it as an automatic car but that doesnt really matter because the technician will notice its a stick and just simply click that its a 5-spd and if the supercharger has not just E.O. #'S (49 state legal)but C.A.R.B. E.O#'s which means california air resources board execuive order #(50 state legal)everything should be fine and a tech cant see if u have a hihg-performance tune so that doesnt matter..as far as intakes that is a hard part the B.A.R. say if there is no sensor in that intake between throttle body and air cleaner its ok but we know with a 91 notch is has a mass air flow sensor sou need carb #'s....if u are gonna be coming to vallejo shoot me a private message and u can come thru and ill check it out and see what u might need to change..i dont do faulty smogs but i can help u with what u need to know to change

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com