Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » so what would you do?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: so what would you do?
Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
`97 GT, needs a new motor.

has PI heads/cams/intake, accufab T/B, and C&L plenum, and a plenum spacer.

get another 4.6L shortblock from wrecking yard for like $300 and swap the current upper combo onto it?

or get a 5.4L for about $600, buy the reichard racing 4.6L-5.4L intake manifold adapter plates for $400, buy a new flywheel and clutch ($460 for just the clutch on summit, I can't find a flywheel there...but it's an 8 bolt so maybe a 4.6L 8 bolt flywheel works?)

make about the same hp, but about 75tq more at the wheels.

but it's a lot more money...

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
Luke87GT
Lay'n more stripes
than Caltrans
Member # 21

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Luke87GT  Ford pictures for Luke87GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i would do whatever was the cheapest route to get it running and sell it asap (:

--------------------
Stangless

Posts: 7802 | From: San Mateo | Registered: Jul 2000  |  :
75 chevy
¯
Member # 6717

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 75 chevy  Ford pictures for 75 chevy    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
looks like the cheapest and best route would be to put a 5.0 motor in your car.

--------------------
2009 prius
1975 monza

Posts: 1917 | From: california | Registered: Apr 2006  |  :
Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Luke87GT:
i would do whatever was the cheapest route to get it running and sell it asap (:

hahaha, I dunno I think I may keep the car for at least a few months as a daily driver.

the A/C works better in it than my blazer [Eek!]

--------------------
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

quote:
Originally posted by gt from 650:
looks like the cheapest and best route would be to put a 5.0 motor in your car.

why would I eliminate the possibility of the car ever passing smog, and give myself a wiring headache to put a pushrod motor in a 2v car? lol

--------------------
02 Harley F150, 15psi

NvrGoFullRetard
CAFords OG
Member # 1633

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NvrGoFullRetard  Ford pictures for NvrGoFullRetard  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i would go with your best judgement.if u are gonna sell the car soon buy a used 4.6 and be done with it,but if your ganna keep it go the 5.4 route.

--------------------
"formally 4.6 eatin gm's"
white 97gt n/a 320rwhp/325rwtq
01 sierra rcsb lsx 408 (murdered out)
03 ecsb sierra 6.0 on 22's
2011 Tahoe

Posts: 2759 | From: PITTSBURG/FAIRFIELD | Registered: Aug 2002  |  :
FasterDamnit
Bad Attitude
Member # 442

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for FasterDamnit  Ford pictures for FasterDamnit  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Will the 5.4 clear the hood?
Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

quote:
Originally posted by FasterDamnit:
Will the 5.4 clear the hood?

yes it will, pics I've seen show you need to trim the stock hood's under bracing a bit in the rear, but it does clear.

--------------------
02 Harley F150, 15psi

75 chevy
¯
Member # 6717

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 75 chevy  Ford pictures for 75 chevy    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I'd like to put a 5.4 in mine as well..

many questions though. ecm,wiring, mounts,trans,mounting the trans. same horsepower...but more torque? problems with the rear end?

I'm curious if you do put the 5.4 in... I'd like to hear about it.

money is a serious issue. [Confused]

[ July 16, 2007, 01:43 AM: Message edited by: gt from 650 ]

--------------------
2009 prius
1975 monza

ShadyJ13
¯
Member # 7725

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for ShadyJ13  Ford pictures for ShadyJ13    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
if you guys want to do a 5.4l swap I have the rr adapter plates for the intake. I was doing a 5.4l swap but mine is a 3v not a 2v will have it done soon and pics up soon

$385 for the plates.

any 8 bolt fly wheel will work 4.6 or 5.4. I bought a spec one..

any questions you guys have about doing 5.4 swap let me know. I have some good info. or you can pm johnb he has done this swap as well..

[ July 16, 2007, 01:54 AM: Message edited by: ShadyJ13 ]

--------------------
97 GT 5.4l 3v

Posts: 33 | From: Sacramento,CA | Registered: Jun 2007  |  :
Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

quote:
I'd like to put a 5.4 in mine as well..

many questions though. ecm,wiring, mounts,trans,mounting the trans. same horsepower...but more torque? pr

there's no problems with any of those parts.

the only things you need, are an 8 bolt flywheel / flexplate if auto, the RR intake adapter plates to run a 4.6L intake manifold, and some minor exhaust work (lengthen the H pipe down tubes, and possibly widen the space at the H crossover on some cars)

everything else is exactly the same from every persons swap story that I have read
[worship]

a 3v swap though, good fucking luck with that buddy! I'd like to see a video of it running when you get it done though!

--------------------
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

the motor is coming out tomorrow, so I gotta get on the phone to the local wrecking yards to see what's available [Eek!]

-

--------------------
02 Harley F150, 15psi

RiverCityAuto
¯
Member # 7664

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for RiverCityAuto  Ford pictures for RiverCityAuto  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If you want to do a 5.4l swap we just did a 5.4l 3v so we are pretty familiar with the swap and a 2v is way easier. If you are interested give us a call at 916-922-2997

[ July 20, 2007, 02:16 AM: Message edited by: RiverCityAuto ]

--------------------
00 GT

River City Auto
Repair and Performance

We Make Your Car's Dream Come True

www.RCITYAUTO.com

Posts: 34 | From: Sacramento, CA | Registered: May 2007  |  :
75 chevy
¯
Member # 6717

I have '06 3v. x pipes no cats.
adapters and plates? 8 bolts ?? huh? I have a spec 3 clutch with the stock tranny.

--------------------
2009 prius
1975 monza

ShadyJ13
¯
Member # 7725

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for ShadyJ13  Ford pictures for ShadyJ13    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
you have an 06 3v what? 4.6l or 5.4?

--------------------
97 GT 5.4l 3v

Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

quote:
I have '06 3v. x pipes no cats.
adapters and plates? 8 bolts ?? huh? I have a spec 3 clutch with the stock tranny.

then you'd probably want a 3v 5.4L motor, not a 2v...the tech posted in this thread really doesn't apply to an `06 mustang, and honestly I can't believe you'd be considering a motor swap on a 1 year old car...

--------------------
02 Harley F150, 15psi

75 chevy
¯
Member # 6717

well, you wouldn't believe the things I do and have done. but thats irrelevant.

I want do a motor swap. some people say push rod, some say 4v. the 4v is not going to work. because my car is a drive by wire. I found an '04 5.4 3v for 1,500. out of a van. now what?

[ July 16, 2007, 11:04 PM: Message edited by: gt from 650 ]

--------------------
2009 prius
1975 monza

75 chevy
¯
Member # 6717

I'm I in undiscovered territory here?

--------------------
2009 prius
1975 monza

ShadyJ13
¯
Member # 7725

if you have alot of money to spend then do it. if not I would go 2v. I am doing a 5.4l 3v swap now and it is costing me alot more then I expected

--------------------
97 GT 5.4l 3v

75 chevy
¯
Member # 6717

quote:
Originally posted by ShadyJ13:
if you have a lot of money to spend then do it. if not I would go 2v. I am doing a 5.4l 3v swap now and it is costing me a lot more then I expected

what year body are you working with? what year motor are you installing? what kinda problems are you having? what costs were not initially expected?

--------------------
2009 prius
1975 monza

RiverCityAuto
¯
Member # 7664

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for RiverCityAuto  Ford pictures for RiverCityAuto  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
[/qb][/QUOTE]what year body are you working with? what year motor are you installing? what kinda problems are you having? what costs were not initially expected? [/QB][/QUOTE]

I on right now under the shop thats doing it this is ShadyJ13. I have a 97 GT. I'm dropping in an 05 F-150 5.4l 3v. There is a list of things that I had to modify for this to work. The major cost is the exhaust. I am having to have a custom h pipe made with 05 f-150 cats on it so it will pass smog. most of the other stuff I bought were things not really needed but wanted since I had the car torn apart. I am hoping to have the car running this weekend. After that I will be doing a full write up on it with pics and all that. the motor fits in perfect no fitting problems at all. its not really that hard of a swap. if any one in the area wants to do it river city auto is more then happy to do it for you or give any info you need on what we did.. but like I said we will be doing a whole write up on the swap with pics. so any infor hit up either one of us.

--------------------
00 GT

River City Auto
Repair and Performance

We Make Your Car's Dream Come True

www.RCITYAUTO.com

Posts: 34 | From: Sacramento, CA | Registered: May 2007  |  :
75 chevy
¯
Member # 6717

cool post that shit up.

--------------------
2009 prius
1975 monza

75 chevy
¯
Member # 6717

is that '05 f-150 drive by wire? I found an '04 motor out of a econoline van. 5.4l 3v. is the '04 drive by wire?

--------------------
2009 prius
1975 monza

Aereon
¯
Member # 6466

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aereon  Ford pictures for Aereon    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
As was stated above, 5.4 if your keeping it or the 4.6 if your gonna sell it. If you are gonna keep it, look into a 4.6l 3v swap, the heads on the 3v's are supposed to have similar flow #'s as 4v's.

Also rivercity, you have a pm.

ShadyJ13
¯
Member # 7725

yes the 05 is a drive by wire. we converted it back to a plenum and throttle body. it is running now and just with a basic tune it is strong. well when I get back from my deployment I will post pics and a write up. I should be back around the 1st of sept. Or if you are going to the Hayward show it will be down there with river city auto repair and performance. Look for Eric he is the owner. We had alot of fun doing this swap.

--------------------
97 GT 5.4l 3v

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com