Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Clutch Disk Failure, pictures!!

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Clutch Disk Failure, pictures!!
truthseeker
¯
Member # 4636

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for truthseeker  Ford pictures for truthseeker    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The picture below is of a D&D Performance Mcleoud clutch disc with pressure plate. I broke the clutch in correctly (no burnouts, clutch drops, etc... for 500 miles). I had about 2000 miles on it and I was getting on the freeway in 3rd gear at about 5000 RPM's I shifted to 4th only to hear my tranny grind and my clutch pedal felt easier to push in. I get the car home by shifting without using the clutch. I pulled the tranny out today and this is what I found. One of the pressure plate fingers looks a little bent and the clutch disc looks even worse. Any ideas what caused this?

-

-

-

-

[ June 17, 2007, 02:55 AM: Message edited by: truthseeker ]

--------------------
1998 SVT Cobra Convertible | VT Cobra Billet Shortblock | T56 Tranny with Viper 5th and 6th | #3425 of 3480 | 17x9 + 17x11 CCW Classic's | 4.10 gears

Posts: 226 | From: Elk Grove, CA | Registered: Jun 2004  |  :
JohnB
Tech Moderator
Member # 969

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JohnB  Ford pictures for JohnB    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
How did the throwout bearing look? All in one piece? If so, the bent finger happened on install(input shaft struck the finger) and the disc, that's install as well. Appears that the pressure plate was torqued down unevenly, almost like half the plate wasn't tight.

Edit: the bent finger also caused a weak spot in the pressure plate, causing the plate to grab unevenly.

[ June 17, 2007, 10:23 AM: Message edited by: JohnB ]

--------------------
1965 Shelby Cobra
1993 Cobra
2012 F150 Raptor
2020 GT500

Posts: 6523 | From: Orlando FL/Redding CA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :
truthseeker
¯
Member # 4636

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for truthseeker  Ford pictures for truthseeker    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The TOB looks perfect.

--------------------
1998 SVT Cobra Convertible | VT Cobra Billet Shortblock | T56 Tranny with Viper 5th and 6th | #3425 of 3480 | 17x9 + 17x11 CCW Classic's | 4.10 gears

solbrothers
¯
Member # 7524

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for solbrothers  Ford pictures for solbrothers    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
wow those pics look great!! what kind of camera did you use. btw. damn that sucks.

--------------------
2100+ posts, 15 useful

truthseeker
¯
Member # 4636

Nikon coolpix 5700 in Macro Mode.

JohnB, thanks for answering some questions I had today. Also, originally when I put the clutch and tranny in, the engine was out of the car. I just hooked the tranny up to the engine and put it in from the top with a cherry picker. Well today I tried to put the tranny in with a tranny jack, but I could not get the bell housing to fit in without the input shaft touching the pressure plate fingers (I tried every angle, side to side forward and aft, etc..). So I pulled the bell housing off the tranny and put that on the engine first (it was a hell of a lot easier to get the top 2 bolts) then I connected the tranny to it. Got everything in, except for the H-pipe, because I need a new gasket between the header and the H-pipe. Hopefully the new Spec Stage 2+ will last longer than 2000 miles.

Well I put a New Spedc Stage 2+ in today.

--------------------

2stangs69-91
¯
Member # 1951

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2stangs69-91  Ford pictures for 2stangs69-91    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have seen many pressure plates come out like that(uneven fingers). none of them was from the input hitting them on instal. Most the time it is from heat related issues. How was the pedal did it feel stiff? You would have to completly ram a tranny in(from a run) to make it bend one of those LOL. They are spring steel. Was the blown up clutch up to your HP rating? Good luck on the new spec.

--------------------
69 Mustang on hold
1991 LX hatch getting a make over
1994 F150 4X4 351
2006 Yamaha V-max 1200 Modded

BlueOvalRacing
¯
Member # 1531

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlueOvalRacing  Ford pictures for BlueOvalRacing    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
More than likely there is a piece of the disc wedged underneath the pressure plate pivot point keeping the finger down.
TRIXSNK
¯
Member # 2844

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for TRIXSNK  Ford pictures for TRIXSNK    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Just a thought but possibly mis-shift into 2nd and over-rev the motor a bit to caus ethe clutch to come apart?

I know it would take lot of rpm to get it to come apart but.......... [Confused]

....also just thought it was kinda funny seeing it printed on the disc "MADE IN CHINA" lol [patriot]

--------------------
9 Sec EVO 9 is GONE!

New project in the works.......

1988Stang
¯
Member # 6280

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1988Stang  Ford pictures for 1988Stang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
when i saw the pictures, the first thing i thought that could have caused it was that it was built in china. I would think that if they print it that big on any part then you should just throw it in the trash.
truthseeker
¯
Member # 4636

I have contacted DD Performance and I will update when I get a reply.

--------------------

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com