Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » General HP Gains For Mods???

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: General HP Gains For Mods???
The_MuffinMan25
¯
Member # 6235

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for The_MuffinMan25  Ford pictures for The_MuffinMan25    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
First off I have a H.O. 5.0L. So thats 225 hp and 300tq right?

Alright I wanna know a guesstimate or a # if you happen to know of what each of the following bolt ons are going to add in I know every cars diffrent.

Hooker Super Comp Headers-

Edelbrock Hi Rise Dual Plane Performer 302 Intake-

Holley 670cfm Street Avenger Carb-

If I can think of anything else I will edit or post up other parts.

Posts: 130 | From: Sacramento, CA | Registered: Nov 2005  |  :
03SVTPower
CAFords OG
Member # 518

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 03SVTPower  Ford pictures for 03SVTPower    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Soooo, you wanna ditch your fuel injection to run a carburetor? [Confused] Im lost....

--------------------
2003 Redfire "AED" Cobra R.I.P

94gt
¯
Member # 3060

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 94gt  Ford pictures for 94gt  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
+1 why do you want to go carb?

--------------------
2020 Explorer ST
2011 Silver Raptor 'Screw

Posts: 5777 | From: Beavercreek, OH | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
JohnB
Tech Moderator
Member # 969

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JohnB  Ford pictures for JohnB    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
From his profile, it appears he has a 65 Mustang. Possibly transplanted a roller 302 into it. [Wink]

The combo you've listed is the way to go. Make sure the spring in the vac secondary is working to it's full potential. Also, with those headers, full a 2.5" exhaust system and a good set of free-flowing mufflers.

If you want a carb and intake cheap, I've got nearly the same combo sitting here.

--------------------
1965 Shelby Cobra
1993 Cobra
2012 F150 Raptor
2020 GT500

Posts: 6523 | From: Orlando FL/Redding CA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :
The_MuffinMan25
¯
Member # 6235

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for The_MuffinMan25  Ford pictures for The_MuffinMan25    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I already have my parts. OH and sorry I always confuse people with my set-up .

Yes I converted to carb and ditched the Fuel Injection. Mainly because I wanted to get my car up and running and didn't want the added trouble, time and money, for an ecu wiring harness.

Say what you will I dont really give a sh*t! I wanted to do it ol school I dont care about trouble with cold start and the small mpg gain. Plus the benefits of the H.O block (aside from roller cam) made my $300 dollar purchase of the engine a smart choice.

The_MuffinMan25
¯
Member # 6235

OH sorry if I sounded pissed people always are hassleing me about not going EFI. Also I plan on going with a pair of magnaflow mufflers because from what I have heard and been told they will give me a nice deep sound. Also for piping size I wasn't sure what size 2.5" as JohnB I had in mind. Would a 2.75" be too much or too loud. I want to be able to not get pulled over all the time but still sound Bad A$$! Also would a 2.25" be too small.
JohnB
Tech Moderator
Member # 969

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JohnB  Ford pictures for JohnB    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by The_MuffinMan25:
Say what you will I dont really give a sh*t!

Whooooaa...throttle back turbo, no one's talkin' smack about you. It's all good...

Stick with a 2.5" exhaust. It will be plenty for your setup. Mufflers, not pipe diameter, will make all the difference in your application.

--------------------
1965 Shelby Cobra
1993 Cobra
2012 F150 Raptor
2020 GT500

Posts: 6523 | From: Orlando FL/Redding CA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :
talaposa
¯
Member # 2460

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for talaposa  Ford pictures for talaposa    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
OK,
I did a similar set up for a friend that had an 85 H.O.. Same long tube headers, good cam. He didn't want to spring for a good set of heads so I ported his heads and put in chevrolet 1.94 and 1.60 valves. We put a 331 stroker kit in it. No dyno infomation but he reported back that it was sufficient to beat at least 2 vipers and one 06 corvette. I think both of those beasts are capable of 12 something in the 1/4 mile.

The_MuffinMan25
¯
Member # 6235

So 2.5" mufflers what size pipes would be good? Thanks for all the help!
1fast281
¯
Member # 4670

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1fast281  Ford pictures for 1fast281  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Dual 2.5 pipes with a crossover pipe to equalize exhaust flow.

--------------------
1998 Mark VIII LSC Black/Graphite
2005 Pontiac GTO Silver/Black

The_MuffinMan25
¯
Member # 6235

Crossover is like an H pipe or and X pipe? Or is it either one?
1fast281
¯
Member # 4670

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1fast281  Ford pictures for 1fast281  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Either one although Nascar cars use x pipes.

--------------------
1998 Mark VIII LSC Black/Graphite
2005 Pontiac GTO Silver/Black

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com