Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Interior paint/dye?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Interior paint/dye?
PacGreenCobra
¯
Member # 7387

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for PacGreenCobra  Ford pictures for PacGreenCobra    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Hey-
I've got a steering wheel that was originally tan (airbag section only), then was painted black. The paint is cracking and looks like crap...I was wondering what type of paint/dye is best to use to redo the surface, or if it's better to just find a stock black unit Also wondering if i need to strip off the old paint before redoing it. Any help is appreciated, thanks.

solbrothers
¯
Member # 7524

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for solbrothers  Ford pictures for solbrothers    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
there's a steering wheel for sale in the forsale section. i am trying to paint my interior from the scarlet red to black. well it is ok as long as you don't touch it very much or scuff it really hard. i am using the duplicolor vinyl fabric paint. i have it on the door panel, and the center console so far. IMO it looks great, although my brother thinks otherwise [Razz]

--------------------
2100+ posts, 15 useful

rickm347
¯
Member # 5323

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for rickm347  Ford pictures for rickm347    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by solbrothers:
there's a steering wheel for sale in the forsale section. [Razz]

im thinking youre thinking of the fox body steering wheels. .. .he mentioned his steering wheel has a tan center, meaning he has a 94-04 mustang.

*anyhow, try to clean up the surface (strip or lightly sand) as much as possible, then re-shoot it, unless you wanna disconnect the battery and replace the steering wheel. Stock black wheel looks way better than paint IMO --rick

solbrothers
¯
Member # 7524

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for solbrothers  Ford pictures for solbrothers    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by rickm347:
quote:
Originally posted by solbrothers:
there's a steering wheel for sale in the forsale section. [Razz]

im thinking youre thinking of the fox body steering wheels. .. .he mentioned his steering wheel has a tan center, meaning he has a 94-04 mustang.

my bad. i was slipping. [patriot]

--------------------
2100+ posts, 15 useful

90RanGer
¯
Member # 2906

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 90RanGer  Ford pictures for 90RanGer  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
 -

I just got done painting my interior, painted the bottom half of the dash. pass airbag, column shroud and center console.

Used SEM Gloss Black Flexible Coating. This paint rules, sticks great and doesn't come off.. I think the only places that have it are auto body type of stores/stores that sell auto paint. 10 bucks a can. Only prep I did was degrease everything with simple green, then washed the simple green off then used rubbing alcohol. Some people reccomend bulldog adhesion promoter also.

I originally bought the paint off of 50resto, and that stuff SUCKED, it stuck fine, but the black color wasn't even close to being dark enough.
 -

[ June 15, 2007, 12:28 PM: Message edited by: 90RanGer ]

Posts: 142 | From: Santa Cruz, CA | Registered: Jun 2003  |  :
solbrothers
¯
Member # 7524

wow that looks SICK!

--------------------
2100+ posts, 15 useful

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com