Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » max lift stock pistons?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: max lift stock pistons?
v-town coupe
fordologist
Member # 2771

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for v-town coupe  Ford pictures for v-town coupe    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
got a 93 short block and was wondering what is the max lift to be used with stock pistons? btw i am going to use 1.94/1.60 size valves on this motor.
Posts: 4597 | From: the V-town | Registered: May 2003  |  :
FasterDamnit
Bad Attitude
Member # 442

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for FasterDamnit  Ford pictures for FasterDamnit  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
That is not how it works. Your duration events have much more impact on piston to valve clearance. Tell you what, let us know what your goals are and we can go from there.

--------------------
'92 LX T5
Looked stock, went 11's 11.90 at 115mph.

'65 Mustang 347

www.fordmuscle.com

Livin' in the Carolina Pines

v-town coupe
fordologist
Member # 2771

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for v-town coupe  Ford pictures for v-town coupe    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
yeah i realize duration has a lot to do with it i forgot to mention the cam is going to stay in the under 230 deg. @.050
FasterDamnit
Bad Attitude
Member # 442

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for FasterDamnit  Ford pictures for FasterDamnit  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
During intake valve closure the piston is chasing the valve up the bore. And depending on overlap the exhuast valve will chase the piston back down the bore. Your valve head sizes vs. relief notches and the duration of intake lobes, ex. lobes, centerlines and overlap all combine to define clearances. Lift is only a broad rule of thumb as most off the shelf cams have fairly standard valve events for a given total lift.

List your heads, valve sizes, pistons and cam specs and maybe folks will have run similar cams w/ no problems.

FYI-

I ran a TFS stage 1 w/ 1.7 rockers on Twisted Wedge heads on a stock 5.0 block w/ no issues. Then ran a custom cam w/ 228/222* at .050" and ~570" lift w/ 1.7's that also cleared as it had little overlap so it would smog. But that was with the TW heads.

--------------------
'92 LX T5
Looked stock, went 11's 11.90 at 115mph.

'65 Mustang 347

www.fordmuscle.com

Livin' in the Carolina Pines

v-town coupe
fordologist
Member # 2771

im going to use the aluminum 58cc world product windsor jr heads and i was thinking of maybe the comp xe274 224/232 55?/56? cant remember those #'s off the top of my head and it has a 112 deg lobe sep. and i will be using 1.6 rockers.

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com