Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » idle problem please help

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: idle problem please help
87_Hatch
¯
Member # 6714

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 87_Hatch  Ford pictures for 87_Hatch    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i just finished doing a gt 40 upper and lower with 70mm throttle body and mass air conversion with stock 19lb injectors. my idle will not stay still i switched out the throtle positioning sensor and it still wont idle correctly but when I disconnect this same sensor it idles perfect what do you think the problem is??? my fuel pressure is low but could that have to do with it?? i am in the process of looking for an adjustable fuel pressure regulator to correct this please help me and tell me what u think

--------------------
Yeeeeeeaaaaa buuudddyyy

Posts: 316 | From: redwood city, CA | Registered: Apr 2006  |  :
92stangLX
¯
Member # 3252

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 92stangLX  Ford pictures for 92stangLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
what is the fuel pressure at w/ the vac line off? Also, I would double check for vaccuum leaks
Posts: 5302 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Sep 2003  |  :
RiverCityAuto
¯
Member # 7664

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for RiverCityAuto  Ford pictures for RiverCityAuto  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I would also consider a bigger MAF and bigger injectors...like 24lb, it won't necessarily help with your idle (check the info on the above post) but you will notice more of your gains than with the stock injectors and MAF. With stock injectors and MAF 70mm T body might be on the big side (bigger is not always better)

--------------------
00 GT

River City Auto
Repair and Performance

We Make Your Car's Dream Come True

www.RCITYAUTO.com

Posts: 34 | From: Sacramento, CA | Registered: May 2007  |  :
87_Hatch
¯
Member # 6714

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 87_Hatch  Ford pictures for 87_Hatch    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i have the 24lb injectors but dont have the MAF yet i didnt want to put them in because no pressure regulator

--------------------
Yeeeeeeaaaaa buuudddyyy

JohnB
Tech Moderator
Member # 969

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JohnB  Ford pictures for JohnB    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Did you set the TPS or just install it? The TPS needs a specific voltage range to work properly.

--------------------
1965 Shelby Cobra
1993 Cobra
2012 F150 Raptor
2020 GT500

Posts: 6523 | From: Orlando FL/Redding CA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :
87_Hatch
¯
Member # 6714

no i did not set it how does that work?? its an 87 with a 92 a9m computer

--------------------
Yeeeeeeaaaaa buuudddyyy

JohnB
Tech Moderator
Member # 969

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JohnB  Ford pictures for JohnB    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
With Key On Engine Off, check the voltage via a multimeter between the green wire and black ire coming off the TPS. The reading should be between .95 and .99 VDC. If it is not, adjust it via the set screws. If you cannot obtain enough adjustment, you may have to elongate the holes.

--------------------
1965 Shelby Cobra
1993 Cobra
2012 F150 Raptor
2020 GT500

87_Hatch
¯
Member # 6714

wow i have never heard of that i dont quite understand what u mean

--------------------
Yeeeeeeaaaaa buuudddyyy

JohnB
Tech Moderator
Member # 969

I thought I wrote that in layman's terms. I'll get even more basic...your throttle position sensor is out of it's working range. The computer has a certain voltage it's looking for at idle; yours isn't there, hense the reason why when you unplug it, all's well.

Edit: double check ALL your sensors again and make sure they are plugged in. Also make sure you re-attached the ground for the injector harness as well as hooked your Mass Air Meter back up.

[ May 30, 2007, 01:49 AM: Message edited by: JohnB ]

--------------------
1965 Shelby Cobra
1993 Cobra
2012 F150 Raptor
2020 GT500

87_Hatch
¯
Member # 6714

damn these are all really good i shud have enough to fix this i hope

--------------------
Yeeeeeeaaaaa buuudddyyy

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com