Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Failed smog...where is this device located?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Failed smog...where is this device located?
NonOpSlow2V
¯
Member # 6111

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NonOpSlow2V  Ford pictures for NonOpSlow2V    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
well i pulled a code from the horse...P1443 Evaporative Emission Control System Fault. Where can i find this under the hood. I have retest in 7 days and if someone can tell me how to fix this i would appreciate it. Thanks.

--------------------
1997 Autumn Orange GT vert
1996 Mystic Cobra
2005 95ci Harley Road King
2011 F150 Raptor

Posts: 2139 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Oct 2005  |  :
venomous99
¯
Member # 1917

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for venomous99  Ford pictures for venomous99    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
its probably year specific. look for the evap canister and see if its connected. there should be a connector and vacuum line that leads to it. on the fox bodies the cannister is located on the passenger front near the radiator. on the 94, 95 i believe its in the passenger side fender.

--------------------
MKII Q7
89LX

NonOpSlow2V
¯
Member # 6111

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NonOpSlow2V  Ford pictures for NonOpSlow2V    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
ok i'll look for it, it's on my 97 GT if that helps...i should have mentioned it in the original post...sorry...

--------------------
1996 Mystic Cobra
2011 F150 Raptor

JohnB
Tech Moderator
Member # 969

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JohnB  Ford pictures for JohnB    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
It's in the passenger side fender as well. Look for a broken vac line coming through the inner fender.

--------------------
1965 Shelby Cobra
1993 Cobra
2012 F150 Raptor
2020 GT500

Posts: 6523 | From: Orlando FL/Redding CA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :
NonOpSlow2V
¯
Member # 6111

is this an easy fix? to remove the MIL light can i pull the battery for a bit and reset the computer or do i have to delete it with the OBD scanner? any help will be appreciated cuz i need this car smogged soon so i can complete the registration, and during the week i'm not here until the weekends...and if i can get this done saturday morning, i can have the smog check finished by sat afternoon. thanks guys

--------------------
1996 Mystic Cobra
2011 F150 Raptor

JohnB
Tech Moderator
Member # 969

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JohnB  Ford pictures for JohnB    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The code can be reset via a scan tool, that's the easiest way. As for fixing it, it's easy as long as you don't have to pull the inner fender, it's behind it.

--------------------
1965 Shelby Cobra
1993 Cobra
2012 F150 Raptor
2020 GT500

Posts: 6523 | From: Orlando FL/Redding CA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :
NonOpSlow2V
¯
Member # 6111

If i reset it with the scan tool...will it pass smog?

--------------------
1996 Mystic Cobra
2011 F150 Raptor

kingmoochr
¯
Member # 5834

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for kingmoochr  Ford pictures for kingmoochr    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
if you fix the problem first
NonOpSlow2V
¯
Member # 6111

if i drop it off at the dealer how much will they charge to fix it? i'd fix it myself but i am out all week and have no time to play with it cuz i need to get it registered asap...

--------------------
1996 Mystic Cobra
2011 F150 Raptor

poisonpony96
¯
Member # 3942

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for poisonpony96  Ford pictures for poisonpony96    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
an arm and two legs. lol
NonOpSlow2V
¯
Member # 6111

lol...i am hella stressin cuz i havent driven the puppy in a year and now that i'm resady to take her out she doesnt wanna pass smog and i have a dead line to get it done otherwise i'm gonna be payin a shitload of money for late registration...so if i can get it fixed this week and have it smogged on sat...i can rest finally...anyone on here wanna fix it for me this week, let me know how much and we'll work something out...please...

--------------------
1996 Mystic Cobra
2011 F150 Raptor

Adam5.0
¯
Member # 6995

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Adam5.0  Ford pictures for Adam5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
you can pay the reg. now and not pay late fees. after you pass smog you get your tags.

--------------------
want something old and japanese

Posts: 1609 | From: Brentwood | Registered: Aug 2006  |  :
89SC50
¯
Member # 6248

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 89SC50  Ford pictures for 89SC50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Adam5.0:
you can pay the reg. now and not pay late fees. after you pass smog you get your tags.

Yep just pay the money on time and there is no late charge they just hod the stickers.
Posts: 185 | From: santa rosa | Registered: Nov 2005  |  :
venomous99
¯
Member # 1917

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for venomous99  Ford pictures for venomous99    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
shouldnt be hard to do. if you have removed a wheel before and tinkered with a wrench u should be able to do it on your own. see if that vacuum line is disconnected near the passenger side firewall

--------------------
MKII Q7
89LX

89Rodknocker
CAFords OG
Member # 2951

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 89Rodknocker  Ford pictures for 89Rodknocker    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Make sure your gas cap is not loose.

--------------------
89 lx (stolen and stripped)
94 gt runner (sold)
89 lx Stock(sold)
86 gt T-trim (sold)
73 Camaro BBC
01 5.0 Explorer limited Borlas (sold)

need-a-cage
¯
Member # 5415

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for need-a-cage  Ford pictures for need-a-cage    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
After you reset the code, the car has to go through several starts and not retrip the code before it will pass smog. They know when you reset it and they will fail you if enough time has not elapsed since it was reset. I am not sure what that time is.

Pay the reg now. You can even go to DMV and get an extension on the SMOG and they will give you a temporary reg.

--------------------
93 LX Hatch, Dart Big Bore 347, Edelbrock 6037's, Cobra intake, Tremec, S-trim, 60# injectors, Tweecer RT
10.84 @ 128.5mph

Posts: 606 | From: Santa Rosa | Registered: Mar 2005  |  :
MysticJay96
¯
Member # 5290

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for MysticJay96  Ford pictures for MysticJay96  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
what ever you do... don't clear the ECM. You do that and you will have to run all the monitors before smoging it again. You need all but like three monitors completed or you will fail on the diagnostics check. I think your canister is mounted behind the pasenger side rear quarter panel. there should be a hose going into the bulkhead towards the rear. If you check the emissions sticker under your hood, it will tell you where all the emissions stuff is located.

--------------------
Hummer woman... Scrapes on her knees... Get some knee pads...

NonOpSlow2V
¯
Member # 6111

thnx guys. well i checked all the hoses and stuff and everything looks fine and hooked up, i even checked for bad rubber hoses for cracks and stuff but they all seem ok. there was one tube that goes behing the intake plenum that was hooked up but not pushed in all the way, so i pushed that in, but there was no leak before i pushed it in. So the idiot that i am i pulled the battery and off went the light, so i am driving it 2marrow for a little bit and see if the light comes back since i cant take it until the three test run through the computer....now if the light comes back on should i earase the code with my scan tool?

--------------------
1996 Mystic Cobra
2011 F150 Raptor

hidnn.o.s.
¯
Member # 1219

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for hidnn.o.s.  Ford pictures for hidnn.o.s.        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
No, you should fix the problem/cause of the light coming on..........

--------------------
R.I.P. Willie G. You are missed on this forum

NonOpSlow2V
¯
Member # 6111

now if i check all the hoses and the light still comes on what else is there to do? is there something that could be replaced if necessary? like a part or something? the code is P1443 incase someone doesnt know what i'm talking about...thanks guys

--------------------
1996 Mystic Cobra
2011 F150 Raptor

NonOpSlow2V
¯
Member # 6111

do they sell that canister in the fenderwell anywhere? will changing that solve the issue maybe? how about the tiny canister under the hood that leads to the bigger one? the little one has a harness plugged into it too...thnx

--------------------
1996 Mystic Cobra
2011 F150 Raptor

NonOpSlow2V
¯
Member # 6111

the evil light has returned!!!...blasted light! anyone close by that can help a brotha out?

--------------------
1996 Mystic Cobra
2011 F150 Raptor

66 AC COBRA
Nitrous King
Member # 904

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 66 AC COBRA  Ford pictures for 66 AC COBRA    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 89Rodknocker:
Make sure your gas cap is not loose.

yep, that same code will throw if the gas cap is loose or doesnt hold vacuum, if the cap is tight take it in to an autozone or napa and have it tested, my friend with a 97 cobra just went though this with that same code, he had an aftermarket locking cap go bad, changed back to the stop cap and all is fine

--------------------
FFR AC Cobra
72 Vega - WCHRA Extreme 10.5

Jessie P
¯
Member # 7073

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jessie P  Ford pictures for Jessie P    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
This code is due to a purge valve that is located on the passenger firewall. Look for a little plastic canister with 2 vacum line's running into it. I had to swtich this out myself. I bought both parts from ford and they came to about 60 bucks and took me about 15 minutes to do. Just call ford tell them the code and ask for the purge valve canister and the sensor in coralation with it. Maybe Caliboy08 can chime in here and speak on the name of the parts since he works for ford.

--------------------
Member of The Track Legion
Know Your Worth... Expect Nothing Less

Posts: 594 | From: Roseville, Ca. | Registered: Sep 2006  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com