Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » stereo question

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: stereo question
86BackInBlack
¯
Member # 5372

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 86BackInBlack  Ford pictures for 86BackInBlack    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Is a 1600 watt amp too much for four 6x9s and two 6.5s?

--------------------
http://i.imgur.com/go1nj.gif

BUKSING
¯
Member # 6594

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BUKSING  Ford pictures for BUKSING    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
not if its a cheapo like pyramid or something. most amps have gain control..start it out low and slowly turn it up without blowing your speakers. hopefully its a 4 channel amp...if not thats ghetto [Roll Eyes]

[ May 10, 2007, 08:50 PM: Message edited by: BUKSING ]

ugotsmoked
¯
Member # 6069

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for ugotsmoked  Ford pictures for ugotsmoked    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
+1 [patriot]

it doesent matter, more power the better actually.The more power, the less your amp has to work.Whitch results in better sound. PM me if you need it installed, been doin it for years.

--------------------
02 GT - Fully built and blown - RIP
'00 C5 Frc - Cammed and tuned - sold
66 Nova - Restored - 6.0 In the works

Posts: 1585 | From: Rocklin, Ca. | Registered: Sep 2005  |  :
86BackInBlack
¯
Member # 5372

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 86BackInBlack  Ford pictures for 86BackInBlack    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by BUKSING:
not if its a cheapo like pyramid or something. most amps have gain control..start it out low and slowly turn it up without blowing your speakers. hopefully its a 4 channel amp...if not thats ghetto [Roll Eyes]

lol actually it is a pyramid. the speakers are infiniti, i had been told by someone that too much power would burn something up. its four channel with gain control though. thanks for install offer but my friend from work is gonna do it

--------------------
http://i.imgur.com/go1nj.gif

Eddie510-
CAFords OG
Member # 2354

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eddie510-  Ford pictures for Eddie510-    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i had 2 6+9's with a sony amp 800 watt amp, sounded like 2 tens but i blew those fuckers up in a week!lol I always see shops going 400-600 watt amps (4 channel) for the MIds. But i think you should able to cut some power off that amp so you wont blow them up. good luck!

--------------------
"I like to be more politicaly correct than what I really believe so I can get more frinds here on CaFords"-Cummings "TIPICKLE"

03SVTPower
CAFords OG
Member # 518

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 03SVTPower  Ford pictures for 03SVTPower    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Whats wrong with a 2 channel amp briged into 1, to run 2 10's?

--------------------
2003 Redfire "AED" Cobra R.I.P

venomous99
¯
Member # 1917

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for venomous99  Ford pictures for venomous99    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 03SVTPower:

there is nothing wrong with it but you gotta make sure what ever you're connecting to it has an impedance that is matching your amp. the SNR when bridging channels may not be as great but for a sub that would be a less of a concern. too low of an impedance will draw lots of juice from your amp, which may or may not be able to source that kind of much power. check to see what your amp is stable to whether it's 4ohms or 2ohms. typically subs are 4ohms but could be much lower depending on which sub u go with and how you wire them. remember ohms law..LOL

--------------------
MKII Q7
89LX

full throttle
¯
Member # 7220

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for full throttle  Ford pictures for full throttle    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by venomous99:
quote:
Originally posted by 03SVTPower:

there is nothing wrong with it but you gotta make sure what ever you're connecting to it has an impedance that is matching your amp. the SNR when bridging channels may not be as great but for a sub that would be a less of a concern. too low of an impedance will draw lots of juice from your amp, which may or may not be able to source that kind of much power. check to see what your amp is stable to whether it's 4ohms or 2ohms. typically subs are 4ohms but could be much lower depending on which sub u go with and how you wire them. remember ohms law..LOL
this man is correct, its how you wire your speakers, if you run the speaker at 4 ohm and the amp says @ 4 ohms it still pushing 150 watt, your speakers will blow..
BUKSING
¯
Member # 6594

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BUKSING  Ford pictures for BUKSING    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
funny how i thought it would be pryamid...lol..those were first amps ive played with like over a decade ago. thats straight fleamarket quality right there. its rediculous how they can slap a high wattage when it really isnt that high...they are cheapos.

i got some old school orion hcca's(high current competition amps) that run 4 12's bridged that drops my setup to 1/2 ohm...pretty crazy. amps are sick...the more speakers you add the lower the ohms = pushing more power(watts). now all i need is a zapco board(eq)..lol.

[ May 11, 2007, 08:26 PM: Message edited by: BUKSING ]

venomous99
¯
Member # 1917

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for venomous99  Ford pictures for venomous99    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
funny how i thought it would be pryamid...lol..those were first amps ive played with like over a decade ago. thats straight fleamarket quality right there. its rediculous how they can slap a high wattage when it really isnt that high...they are cheapos.

i got some old school orion hcca's(high current competition amps) that run 4 12's bridged that drops my setup to 1/2 ohm...pretty crazy. amps are sick...the more speakers you add the lower the ohms = pushing more power(watts). now all i need is a zapco board(eq)..lol.

yeah orions and the old school rockford fosgates. those suckers could pump out the juice w/out dying even at impedance levels much lower than they're rated for. just wanted to clarify that by adding more speakers it could either decrease or increase impedance depending on how u wire em up.

--------------------
MKII Q7
89LX

cummins
¯
Member # 5931

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for cummins  Ford pictures for cummins    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:

I love the old school hccas. I have right now the 225, 250 and 2100. I actually have 2 225 and 250s. All of my amps are gen 1 to gen 3, none of this gen 4 junk! And I have the old school U.S. Amps too! How about Autotek back in the day. And the old school soundstream reference series. All good shit! I don't have any Autoteks but I do have an old school reference 300 and 500. Oh and speaking of that shit, I have 1 old school PPI Pro Mos 450!!! That's right!!!!!!!!!!

PS. I hate Class D shit!!!!!!! Old school high current all the way!!!

--------------------
Your definitely jealous of my strength and brains. - 68_427_Fastback

Cummins looks like the Wendy's girl......without the pig tails. - JT

Posts: 3441 | From: The Rice Fields | Registered: Aug 2005  |  :
BUKSING
¯
Member # 6594

PPI's...dang thats old skool..lol i killed one of those with 2 15's before.

cummins...u get ur hcca's at stereo city over there in fremont? i dropped so much $$$$ into that place...i hear juniors is the shit now.

SmokinLX
¯
Member # 1684

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SmokinLX  Ford pictures for SmokinLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I used to have Zapco amp's going into EV speaker's back in the day, I'm talking 1989-1990.

--------------------
Dont claim power if ya cant mile per hour. 10 second AOD

cummins
¯
Member # 5931

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for cummins  Ford pictures for cummins    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Buksing no I never bought anything from them. I used to go to Audio Innovations in Fremont before they closed. And also Precision Stereo on Mission blvd in Hayward. I did stop by Stereo City a few times but the Indian dudes were always trying to pull something on me. And hell I worked in the car audio industry so I know all the pricing! Oh and I just found one of my other old school amps, an Orion 2150sx! LOL!

Smokin I also had the Zapco 3 amp board back in the day. The shit was clean but not very loud! Good for mids and highs. I had that running some Hecco's for mids and highs and a US 200 bridged to 2 15 cerwin vegas. Man those were the days.

So far my cleanest system is still using the old school Orions and soundstreams. I just set up a civic hatch back with quart qsd mids and highs powered by a 225 hcca and 1 RE XXX 12" dual 2 ohm voice coil paralleled powered by a bridged 250 hcca. Box was a simple ported 2.5 cu ft tuned to 28 hz. That shit is clean, crisp, deep, loud and transitions extremely smooth. It did tax the alternator so we had to upgrade and of course run dual batteries and put in a 3 farad cap for the sub. I love stereo shit!!!!

--------------------

Quick65
¯
Member # 6153

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Quick65  Ford pictures for Quick65  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
the only way you will blow up a speaker from too much power is if it physically rips the leads from the former or tears the surround. trypical voice coil problems are a direct result of impropper gain adjustments. some folks just don't seem to grasp the idea that an amp CAN play louder than it was designed to, at the cost of decreased amplifier and speaker life.
dial in the gains with an o'scope, because distortion can be difficult to hear, especially if you're not trying to. =)

--------------------
steve morris racing 348ci, trickflow heads, F2, fast xfi, powerglide.

Posts: 317 | From: antelope, ca. | Registered: Oct 2005  |  :
BUKSING
¯
Member # 6594

quote:
Originally posted by cummins:
Buksing no I never bought anything from them. I used to go to Audio Innovations in Fremont before they closed. And also Precision Stereo on Mission blvd in Hayward. I did stop by Stereo City a few times but the Indian dudes were always trying to pull something on me. And hell I worked in the car audio industry so I know all the pricing! Oh and I just found one of my other old school amps, an Orion 2150sx! LOL!

Smokin I also had the Zapco 3 amp board back in the day. The shit was clean but not very loud! Good for mids and highs. I had that running some Hecco's for mids and highs and a US 200 bridged to 2 15 cerwin vegas. Man those were the days.

So far my cleanest system is still using the old school Orions and soundstreams. I just set up a civic hatch back with quart qsd mids and highs powered by a 225 hcca and 1 RE XXX 12" dual 2 ohm voice coil paralleled powered by a bridged 250 hcca. Box was a simple ported 2.5 cu ft tuned to 28 hz. That shit is clean, crisp, deep, loud and transitions extremely smooth. It did tax the alternator so we had to upgrade and of course run dual batteries and put in a 3 farad cap for the sub. I love stereo shit!!!!

ahh..audio innovations...they built the last box for my 4 12's..5th order band pass...frequencies were so low you could see my dash vibrate at least 2 inches...it was insane...i mean the notes were so low...but you can see the dash move...i was like wtf!

im with you...im die hard into stereo shit.. [patriot]

cummins
¯
Member # 5931

Remember Al the brother and Steve the owner? Steve cracks me up. I even saw him at Exotic Erotic one year. He was hiding behind a mask and grabbin' asses all night long! His girl had a dorky/freaky look about her, the kind that made you want to hit it! I wired a lot of their electrical work, put in their compresor, lights, saws, etc. So they did the work on my car. Back then I had 2 PPI Pro Mos 450s running in a teg with 4 JL 12w5's and all quart mids and highs. That shit was nasty back in its day. But today this RE XXX 12 would kick the shit out of them hands down and its much cleaner and transitions smooth as silk. And LOW, really low!

--------------------

BUKSING
¯
Member # 6594

i didnt know al but i remember steve..he was the one that designed my box and some guy named doug that i knew built it. they also did a clean job in a 65 impala that i later bought...had 4 10's mounted on the rear deck and did a nice enclosure on the front door panels.
SmokinLX
¯
Member # 1684

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SmokinLX  Ford pictures for SmokinLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
yeah I had a 200 watt going to an 18 inch EV with q zapco paragraphic EQ "built in electronic crossover". Then another 200 going to a pair of 10 inch mid bass, 5 1/4's in the door and some tweeter's in the dash "all EV's" and it rocked pretty hard and was very well balanced and crisp sound!

--------------------
Dont claim power if ya cant mile per hour. 10 second AOD

BUKSING
¯
Member # 6594

talkin about 18's...i had 2 of them with that pyramid amp i was talkin about...it was all fleamarket shit...but damn it slammed...
full throttle
¯
Member # 7220

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for full throttle  Ford pictures for full throttle    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
PPI's...dang thats old skool..lol i killed one of those with 2 15's before.

cummins...u get ur hcca's at stereo city over there in fremont? i dropped so much $$$$ into that place...i hear juniors is the shit now.

juniors suck.. i hate it how he always try to rip someone off..
full throttle
¯
Member # 7220

quote:
Remember Al the brother and Steve the owner? Steve cracks me up. I even saw him at Exotic Erotic one year. He was hiding behind a mask and grabbin' asses all night long! His girl had a dorky/freaky look about her, the kind that made you want to hit it! I wired a lot of their electrical work, put in their compresor, lights, saws, etc. So they did the work on my car. Back then I had 2 PPI Pro Mos 450s running in a teg with 4 JL 12w5's and all quart mids and highs. That shit was nasty back in its day. But today this RE XXX 12 would kick the shit out of them hands down and its much cleaner and transitions smooth as silk. And LOW, really low!

resonant engineering is the shit.. i always wanted one, but i don't know where i can find one brand new for cheap, nor do i have money for a big enough amp for it. what size amp are you running for the XXX you have?

you guys also forgot about earthquake amps back in the days, that shit was crazy

cummins
¯
Member # 5931

quote:
Originally posted by full throttle:
quote:

resonant engineering is the shit.. i always wanted one, but i don't know where i can find one brand new for cheap, nor do i have money for a big enough amp for it. what size amp are you running for the XXX you have?

you guys also forgot about earthquake amps back in the days, that shit was crazy

Oh ya I remember Earth Quakes. I ran a few of them along with the old school Hifonic Zeus and Colossus.

Right now the XXX is powered by an 250 hcca and its briged into 1 ohm. It sounds awesome. These high current amps just crank out the low frequencies like no tomorrow. I don't know where you can find for new for cheap. Cheapest I got mine was $325 for a 12" and that was over 2 years ago. You don't really need to run a huge amp to it. Sure it likes power and it can take a ton of it, but I've hit them with 400 rpms (old school U.S. Amps) and they sound awesome. Just not as loud as they are capable of. But still powerful nonetheless.

--------------------

cummins
¯
Member # 5931

Oh and BTW, that same Korean company that bought out U.S. Amps also bought out RE. I haven't tried any of the new RE stuff but the new U.S. Amps stuff SUCKS ASS! So I won't try the new RE. I still have my 2 old school RE 12's and 1 Adire Brahma 12.

--------------------

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com