Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Brake question

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Brake question
Wildfire532FB
CAFords OG
Member # 1482

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wildfire532FB  Ford pictures for Wildfire532FB  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
My dad and i are swapping brakes. I am putting his 98 Cobra brakes on my GT and hes putting my GT brakes on his Cobra. I made a post about this and it got deleted. I beleive Luke told me that a certain type of Mustang brake will fit with my dad's skinnies in the front with a small spacer so that his lug bolts are NHRA legal. Can anyone tell me what stock Mustang brakes besides my GT brakes that will fit these skinny rims with a spacer smaller than 1 inch?
 -

The problem is the diameter of the brakes.

--------------------
./_ _ _ ___ __\
(]]]_ _ o _ _[[[)
|\_o_ __ __o_/|
|__|..........|__|
68 Fastback
84 CJ7
94 HMMWV
95 GT
03 F350
17 Fusion Hybrid

Luke87GT
Lay'n more stripes
than Caltrans
Member # 21

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Luke87GT  Ford pictures for Luke87GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
throw a pair of 99-04GT/V6 brakes on there and use a 5/16" spacer. The skinnies should clear the caliper bracket. You may want to use longer studs. I was only able to get 6-7 turns of each shank nut before I was at torque capacity... NOT the safest way to go.

Steeda sells 2.5" studs which are nice but pricey...

--------------------
Stangless

Posts: 7802 | From: San Mateo | Registered: Jul 2000  |  :
Wildfire532FB
CAFords OG
Member # 1482

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wildfire532FB  Ford pictures for Wildfire532FB  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Luke87GT:
throw a pair of 99-04GT/V6 brakes on there and use a 5/16" spacer. The skinnies should clear the caliper bracket. You may want to use longer studs. I was only able to get 6-7 turns of each shank nut before I was at torque capacity... NOT the safest way to go.

Steeda sells 2.5" studs which are nice but pricey...

The studs your talking about are on the brakes or are you talking about the lug bolts?

--------------------
./_ _ _ ___ __\
(]]]_ _ o _ _[[[)
|\_o_ __ __o_/|
|__|..........|__|
68 Fastback
84 CJ7
94 HMMWV
95 GT
03 F350
17 Fusion Hybrid

hockeyguy713
¯
Member # 5354

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for hockeyguy713  Ford pictures for hockeyguy713    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Hes talking about the wheel studs. You're gonna want to look into some longer ones like mensioned by luke. ARP also sells them.

--------------------
91 GT

Wildfire532FB
CAFords OG
Member # 1482

The lug bolts on it are 4 inches long.

--------------------
./_ _ _ ___ __\
(]]]_ _ o _ _[[[)
|\_o_ __ __o_/|
|__|..........|__|
68 Fastback
84 CJ7
94 HMMWV
95 GT
03 F350
17 Fusion Hybrid

cummins
¯
Member # 5931

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for cummins  Ford pictures for cummins    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
To be legal the amount of stud that extends past the hex portion of the lug nut must be equal to or greater than the diameter of the stud itself. If you have a 4 inch stud then I'm sure its long enough for whatever wheel combo you use.

--------------------
Your definitely jealous of my strength and brains. - 68_427_Fastback

Cummins looks like the Wendy's girl......without the pig tails. - JT

Posts: 3441 | From: The Rice Fields | Registered: Aug 2005  |  :
cummins
¯
Member # 5931

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for cummins  Ford pictures for cummins    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
And I'm kinda confused what you are talking about when you say "Lug Bolts." Do you mean lug nuts or wheel studs? I've never seen a 4" lug nut. I've seen 4" wheel studs so I assume that's what you are talking about.

--------------------
Your definitely jealous of my strength and brains. - 68_427_Fastback

Cummins looks like the Wendy's girl......without the pig tails. - JT

Posts: 3441 | From: The Rice Fields | Registered: Aug 2005  |  :
Wildfire532FB
CAFords OG
Member # 1482

quote:
Originally posted by cummins:
And I'm kinda confused what you are talking about when you say "Lug Bolts." Do you mean lug nuts or wheel studs? I've never seen a 4" lug nut. I've seen 4" wheel studs so I assume that's what you are talking about.

wheel studs = lug bolts
Right now with hte spacer its not legal, the wheel stud is a little short.

--------------------
./_ _ _ ___ __\
(]]]_ _ o _ _[[[)
|\_o_ __ __o_/|
|__|..........|__|
68 Fastback
84 CJ7
94 HMMWV
95 GT
03 F350
17 Fusion Hybrid

BlowN67
¯
Member # 4229

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlowN67  Ford pictures for BlowN67    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
all u'll be doing is changing the calibur an disk thats all right no need to change out the spindals.

--------------------
AIM gonein67 JOHN
* californiafords.com
* corral.net
* foureyedpride.com
* yellowbullet.com
* theturboforums.com

Posts: 9809 | From: Home of LARD | Registered: Mar 2004  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com