Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Best Automatic Transmission for a 1999 GT

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Best Automatic Transmission for a 1999 GT
GT35TH
¯
Member # 434

Ford Icon 7 posted      Profile for GT35TH  Ford pictures for GT35TH  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
First, forgive me if this question has already been answered, however, I couldn't seem to find any specifics. Also, please don't jump on my post with "why are you going with an automatic" since I don't like to do a lot of shifting [Wink]

I'm looking for recommedations on the best performance automatic transmission (or upgrade to the existing stock), at a good price, for my supercharged 1999 GT. I currently have the Emerald torque converter, with a stall of 2500, installed in my stock automatic. The stock Mustang transmissions seem to be very sluggish in the take-off during normal driving.

BTW, I currently have approx. 500HP at the wheels.

Thanks for any suggestions.

[ April 19, 2007, 02:58 PM: Message edited by: GT35TH ]

--------------------
http://www.portalvalues.com

Posts: 72 | From: Vallejo, CA | Registered: Sep 2001  |  :
onesicklx
¯
Member # 285

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for onesicklx  Ford pictures for onesicklx  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i would call them

http://www.lentechautomatics.com/index2.htm

[ April 19, 2007, 02:47 PM: Message edited by: onesicklx ]

Posts: 1955 | From: san jose, CA | Registered: Jun 2001  |  :
GT35TH
¯
Member # 434

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for GT35TH  Ford pictures for GT35TH  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Thanks for the reply. But are there any shops in the San Francisco Bay Area that anyone can recommend? Lentech appears to be in Canada.

Thanks again.

--------------------

outlaw10.5
¯
Member # 7385

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for outlaw10.5  Ford pictures for outlaw10.5    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
How much power are you going for? The 4r70w is actually a GREAT auto if built.

Check this out.

http://www.tccoa.com/articles/tranny/index.html

You can take it to whatever shop will be doing your rebuild, and tell them to build it to HIS specifications. After all Jerry DID create the tranny.

outlaw10.5
¯
Member # 7385

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for outlaw10.5  Ford pictures for outlaw10.5    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by GT35TH:
First, forgive me if this question has already been answered, however, I couldn't seem to find any specifics. Also, please don't jump on my post with "why are you going with an automatic" since I don't like to do a lot of shifting [Wink]

I'm looking for recommedations on the best performance automatic transmission (or upgrade to the existing stock), at a good price, for my supercharged 1999 GT. I currently have the Emerald torque converter, with a stall of 2500, installed in my stock automatic. The stock Mustang transmissions seem to be very sluggish in the take-off during normal driving.

BTW, I currently have approx. 500HP at the wheels.

Thanks for any suggestions.

In fact re reading your post, the j-mod would be a good thing for you. Check with Apex. I believe they do it there.

Oh and,

quote:
Originally posted by GT35TH:
Also, please don't jump on my post with "why are you going with an automatic" since I don't like to do a lot of shifting [Wink]

Whoever would tell you that is an ABSOLUTE IDIOT!!! [patriot]
SmokinLX
¯
Member # 1684

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SmokinLX  Ford pictures for SmokinLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
For a converter go with www.edgeracing.com and for automatic trans info go to www.clickclickracing.com and get Your info. My car is anything but sluggish off the line since the addition of the edge converter [burnout] !

--------------------
Dont claim power if ya cant mile per hour. 10 second AOD

GT35TH
¯
Member # 434

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for GT35TH  Ford pictures for GT35TH  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Thanks to all for the info. I will check them out. [Cool]

--------------------

uncle bill
¯
Member # 3953

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for uncle bill  Ford pictures for uncle bill  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i have a friend who owns a trans shop who built my aod, all the internals were bought from lentech i saved the money on labor otherwise i would suggest you buy a lentech trans and pay the shipping. they are the guru's when it comes to the ford overdrive transmissions
GT35TH
¯
Member # 434

Thanks for that additional information on Lentech.

--------------------

white50steve
¯
Member # 5887

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for white50steve  Ford pictures for white50steve    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
its probally only slugish because the stall isnt high enough
Posts: 161 | From: south san francisco | Registered: Jul 2005  |  :
kingmoochr
¯
Member # 5834

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for kingmoochr  Ford pictures for kingmoochr    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
bayshore transmission in burlingame is one option, our shop gets all our tranny rebuilds done there

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com