Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » what type of dyno is most accurate?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: what type of dyno is most accurate?
PopTheHood
¯
Member # 7040

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for PopTheHood  Ford pictures for PopTheHood    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Mustang dyno, dyno jet, ect?
TRIXSNK
¯
Member # 2844

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for TRIXSNK  Ford pictures for TRIXSNK    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
They are all accurate.

--------------------
9 Sec EVO 9 is GONE!

New project in the works.......

PopTheHood
¯
Member # 7040

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for PopTheHood  Ford pictures for PopTheHood    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I heard some read more power than others? Is that true?

[ April 17, 2007, 09:11 PM: Message edited by: PopTheHood ]

Pure Stang
¯
Member # 7251

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pure Stang  Ford pictures for Pure Stang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
a mustang dyno; dynos less

--------------------
HEART BREAKER

R.I.P Willie Guzman (5ltrsvt) you will be missed brother.
04/24/87 - 11/23/2012

90 lx 347 RIP
86 gt
89 lx- next project

BOTIH8R
¯
Member # 7295

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BOTIH8R  Ford pictures for BOTIH8R  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
theyre all disappointing
Posts: 1143 | From: sacramento | Registered: Dec 2006  |  :
92stangLX
¯
Member # 3252

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 92stangLX  Ford pictures for 92stangLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Mustang dyno is a load based dyno and is supposedly better for tuning since it simulates the actual load on the car. The dynojet will read more HP than a Mustang Dyno though.
Posts: 5302 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Sep 2003  |  :
Jer
¯
Member # 7488

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jer  Ford pictures for Jer    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
dyno numbers as a whole are really meaningless. and what kinda accuracy are you looking for? If you wanna know how much power your motor makes, put it on a motor dyno without the car. Then if you wanna see drivetrain loss, put it on a chasis dyno after. That's the only way to get an accurate reading of how much power your car makes.

Other then that, chassis type dynos are just for tuning and comparing really..... Dynojets are the most standard and what most people use to comapre.

Then there are mustang dynos which dyno considerably lower usually around 8% depending on the load.

Dyno dynamics and the Dynapack dyno without rear wheels, so obviously the numbers will seem inflated. This is because the power is measured at the axels. Is this more accurate? Depends on what you're looking for.

I don't really think any dyno is accurate, but they're good for bragging rights.

For an example. I dyno'd 535 / 495 on a dynojet, then a couple weeks later did 563 / 530 on a dynapack. Different shops dynos will also tend to dyno different even if it's the same type of dyno. It's just the way it works [Smile]

When it comes down to it, all that really matters is ET and MPH.

[ April 18, 2007, 12:56 AM: Message edited by: Jer ]

Norcal95050
¯
Member # 2941

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Norcal95050  Ford pictures for Norcal95050    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I heard back in the day they Had a Dyno- Saur which rated the feet per second (ie the flintstones car) it was pretty darn acurate. [Razz]

--------------------
2000 gt - built block, kenne bell sc, t56, full Maximum Motorsport suspension.

HaulinAss Motorsports
Its a STREETRaceCar!
Member # 541

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for HaulinAss Motorsports  Ford pictures for HaulinAss Motorsports    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by TRIXSNK:
They are all accurate.

not true.different makes will give different reading so they are accurate off of what basis?
Posts: 22471 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Nov 2001  |  :
TRIXSNK
¯
Member # 2844

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for TRIXSNK  Ford pictures for TRIXSNK    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by HaulinAss Motorsports:
quote:
Originally posted by TRIXSNK:
They are all accurate.

not true.different makes will give different reading so they are accurate off of what basis?
What i meant was that they are all accurate in regards to how they are specifically set-up to calculate RWHP. [Roll Eyes]

As was stated before by Jer they are just tools....the # don't mean too much.....at least not to me [Big Grin]

p.s. I should state that was referring to Mustang,Dynojet,Dynapaks, etc dynos and not engine dynos.......my bad [Embarrassed]

--------------------
9 Sec EVO 9 is GONE!

New project in the works.......

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com