Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Changed coil and now car runs like $hit.

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Changed coil and now car runs like $hit.
PopTheHood
¯
Member # 7040

Ford Icon 5 posted      Profile for PopTheHood  Ford pictures for PopTheHood    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I just swapped my stock coil for a msd blaster 2 coil and it made my car run very bad. after like 3500 rpm it starts to jerk and miss and runs horrible. anyone know why a coil change would do this? Do you think its putting out to much spark?
Do i need to reset my timing cuz its getting better spark? Someone said its putting out to much spark and it sparks through the wires to ground. couldthat be? another guy said all i need is a ballast resistor. what do you guys think?

1FAST89GT
¯
Member # 5071

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1FAST89GT  Ford pictures for 1FAST89GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i think u have a bad coil. could have a small crack in it
PopTheHood
¯
Member # 7040

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for PopTheHood  Ford pictures for PopTheHood    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I think i figured out the problem. I need a balast resistor to go with it and some better wires. Its a new coil.
92stangLX
¯
Member # 3252

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 92stangLX  Ford pictures for 92stangLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
What kind of car is this? If it is a old school 'Stang w/ points then I would check your points. Sometimes the aftermarket coils can fry the points.
Posts: 5302 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Sep 2003  |  :
PopTheHood
¯
Member # 7040

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for PopTheHood  Ford pictures for PopTheHood    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
its an 85 mustang. i looked at the instructions and it said that its ment for a msd ignition system and itsays that you need a balast resistor on stock ignitions.
92stangLX
¯
Member # 3252

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 92stangLX  Ford pictures for 92stangLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by PopTheHood:
its an 85 mustang. i looked at the instructions and it said that its ment for a msd ignition system and itsays that you need a balast resistor on stock ignitions.

I've got two balast resistor new in the package that I will sell you cheap. PM me if you are intersted [patriot]
Posts: 5302 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Sep 2003  |  :
PopTheHood
¯
Member # 7040

Im good. I have already ordered 1 along with some plug wires and they are on their way. thank anyway though.

Anyone got some plug boot protectors? the heat protectors?

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com