Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » pulleys

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: pulleys
89FoxLX
¯
Member # 7197

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 89FoxLX  Ford pictures for 89FoxLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i'm getting ready to buy some pulleys, and i was wondering what people suggest...i have an '89 5.0 and definately want to go to aluminum, just unsure on which brand to purchase, or if it even makes a difference brand wise? I'm looking at march right now, but i noticed nobody on here is running them...is there a reason for that? [burnout]
Eddie510-
CAFords OG
Member # 2354

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eddie510-  Ford pictures for Eddie510-    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
fuck it go with march, i think alot of people have it. i do i got like 5 march crank pullies in my garage,lol. the kits cheaper too. [patriot] or you can go on here and gets some used ones for around $50 and under [patriot] id so that than getting some new ones

[ February 21, 2007, 11:15 PM: Message edited by: Eddie510- ]

--------------------
"I like to be more politicaly correct than what I really believe so I can get more frinds here on CaFords"-Cummings "TIPICKLE"

hidnn.o.s.
¯
Member # 1219

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for hidnn.o.s.  Ford pictures for hidnn.o.s.        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I'd go with the anodized blue FMS parts. Best quality part out there, pulley wise, imo.

--------------------
R.I.P. Willie G. You are missed on this forum

uh0h50
CAFords OG
Member # 3125

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for uh0h50  Ford pictures for uh0h50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I'm running the powder coated blue Ford Motorsports on my 92 5.0. It's the 3 piece kit. I felt a significant difference in the before and after. The whole pulley system felt more free.
If you're running a stock alternator, be ready for the pullies to drain the amperage out of the alternator... however, a simple 3g alt. upgrade will get rid of that problem. Good luck.

--------------------
AP1 S2000

Posts: 2926 | From: Bay Area 510 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
subsGT
¯
Member # 6015

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for subsGT  Ford pictures for subsGT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
If you're running a stock alternator, be ready for the pullies to drain the amperage out of the alternator... however, a simple 3g alt. upgrade will get rid of that problem. Good luck. [/QB]
or, just do like I did and don't even put the alternater pulley on... [Cool]

[ February 22, 2007, 04:36 AM: Message edited by: subsGT ]

LQ9SN95
¯
Member # 7080

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for LQ9SN95  Ford pictures for LQ9SN95    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by subsGT:
quote:
If you're running a stock alternator, be ready for the pullies to drain the amperage out of the alternator... however, a simple 3g alt. upgrade will get rid of that problem. Good luck.

or, just do like I did and don't even put the alternater pulley on... [Cool] [/QB]
wont that throw everything else off though?

--------------------
http://www.fastgms-teamfast.com
http://www.facebook.com/aop.fresno?ref=ts&fref=ts
Lq9 swap
102 fast intake
Trick flow heads
T rex cam

Posts: 8031 | From: Fresno, Ca | Registered: Sep 2006  |  :
subsGT
¯
Member # 6015

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for subsGT  Ford pictures for subsGT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by F8LSN8K:
quote:
quote:

wont that throw everything else off though? [/QB]
nope....you get most of the benefits of your pullies and full charge on the electrical side - no issues at all...
uh0h50
CAFords OG
Member # 3125

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for uh0h50  Ford pictures for uh0h50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
quote:

or, just do like I did and don't even put the alternater pulley on... [Cool] [/QB]
what belt size did u end up having to run on the car??

--------------------
AP1 S2000

Posts: 2926 | From: Bay Area 510 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
subsGT
¯
Member # 6015

quote:
Originally posted by uh0h50:
quote:
quote:

what belt size did u end up having to run on the car?? [/QB]
stock belt...the tensioner takes care of any differences...
SmokinLX
¯
Member # 1684

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SmokinLX  Ford pictures for SmokinLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 89FoxLX:
i'm getting ready to buy some pulleys, and i was wondering what people suggest...i have an '89 5.0 and definately want to go to aluminum, just unsure on which brand to purchase, or if it even makes a difference brand wise? I'm looking at march right now, but i noticed nobody on here is running them...is there a reason for that? [burnout]

I never had an issue with the alternator pulley and I had an electric fan so sometimes You run into a problem and sometimes You don't. Make sure to keep the stock ones in case You put a supercharger on it one day [Wink] .

--------------------
Dont claim power if ya cant mile per hour. 10 second AOD

LQ9SN95
¯
Member # 7080

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for LQ9SN95  Ford pictures for LQ9SN95    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
ok, so u can put on the crank and water pump pullies and u will still get some power from them? does this apply to a sn95 5.0 too? or no? and can i use the stock belts too?

cuz i have some beat too, and i heard it not a good idea to use the alternator pully with beat.....

--------------------
Lq9 swap
102 fast intake
Trick flow heads
T rex cam

subsGT
¯
Member # 6015

quote:
ok, so u can put on the crank and water pump pullies and u will still get some power from them? does this apply to a sn95 5.0 too? or no? and can i use the stock belts too?

cuz i have some beat too, and i heard it not a good idea to use the alternator pully with beat.....

just to be safe, put on the crank/water pump pullies...you'll ge about 80/90% of the benefit of a pulley swap. They'll work with your sn95... [patriot] Not only that, but it takes about half the time because you don't have to pull/swap your alt pulley...
LQ9SN95
¯
Member # 7080

thanks.....i'll probably get some march pulleys then.....so can i use my stock belt??

--------------------
Lq9 swap
102 fast intake
Trick flow heads
T rex cam

subsGT
¯
Member # 6015

quote:
thanks.....i'll probably get some march pulleys then.....so can i use my stock belt??

as far as I know...but I'd put a new one on while you're at it... [Cool]
LQ9SN95
¯
Member # 7080

quote:
quote:

as far as I know...but I'd put a new one on while you're at it... [Cool]
it is new....

--------------------
Lq9 swap
102 fast intake
Trick flow heads
T rex cam

Sk8OnGlass
¯
Member # 6370

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sk8OnGlass  Ford pictures for Sk8OnGlass    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
quote:

+1 , (what alternator pulley ,LOL) [dance]

--------------------
First On Race Day
FORD
yup that's my stang in da pic

Posts: 533 | From: san Jose, CA. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com