Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Higher Reving Engine?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Higher Reving Engine?
PopTheHood
¯
Member # 7040

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for PopTheHood  Ford pictures for PopTheHood    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I Have a 331 in my car right now. and people say that you should not rev it to high. I always keep it under 6,000 rpm's. I would like to make my car be able to rev higher without the risk of damaging it. What kind of parts do i need to do that? Lifters, Valve springs? what makes it be able to rev higher and be safe? Thanks
1fast281
¯
Member # 4670

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1fast281  Ford pictures for 1fast281  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
How high do you want to rev it?

[ January 31, 2007, 10:00 PM: Message edited by: 1fast281 ]

--------------------
1998 Mark VIII LSC Black/Graphite
2005 Pontiac GTO Silver/Black

PopTheHood
¯
Member # 7040

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for PopTheHood  Ford pictures for PopTheHood    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
like 6500-7000
JohnB
Tech Moderator
Member # 969

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JohnB  Ford pictures for JohnB    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Does the cam's range go that high? If not, you're spinning it for no reason.

--------------------
1965 Shelby Cobra
1993 Cobra
2012 F150 Raptor
2020 GT500

Posts: 6523 | From: Orlando FL/Redding CA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :
PopTheHood
¯
Member # 7040

I would like to rev to atleast 6500, cuz i have 3:73 gears and i have to shift into 5th hear in the 1/4 mile. if i reved it higher i wouldn't have to shift into 5th and would have a faster time. cuz my 5th has nothing. what cam and valve spring kit should i use to rev it up to 6500?
JohnB
Tech Moderator
Member # 969

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JohnB  Ford pictures for JohnB    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Actually, to make a good recommendation, I'd need to know the whole combo. Engine, trans, rear tire size, etc.

--------------------
1965 Shelby Cobra
1993 Cobra
2012 F150 Raptor
2020 GT500

PopTheHood
¯
Member # 7040

331 pro bullet from Dss, twisted wedge heads, edelbrock air gap manifold, 1.6 rockers, I think 6.750 inch pushrods, 28oz flywheel and balancer, centerforce dual friction clutch, T5 tranny right now till it go's. 3:73 gears, G-force DR 26.04 in diamiter tire. 255/50/16.
Crank: DSS nodular iron crankshaft balanced to racing tolerances. Rods: DSS polished forged I-beams with ARP hardware and a bushed small end for full-floating wristpins.
Pistons: Forged DSS Pro Series, lightweight design.
Rings: Speed-Pro moly rings.
Bearings: Tri-metal main and rod bearings.
Main Support System: The DSS Main Support System including custom ARP main studs is key to high horsepower and longevity.

1fast281
¯
Member # 4670

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1fast281  Ford pictures for 1fast281  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
So you are still using the stock valve springs? Get some aftermarket ones and rev until 6500 all you want.

--------------------
1998 Mark VIII LSC Black/Graphite
2005 Pontiac GTO Silver/Black

PopTheHood
¯
Member # 7040

Im still using the ones that came on the TW heads. they are dual springs. What cam and spring kit would make this engin run hardest up till 6500?
86- 50
TEAM PLATINUM
Member # 4723

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 86- 50  Ford pictures for 86- 50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
What cam?

--------------------
My baby:88gt 347 stroker

RIP MATT, Gone but never forgotten

TEAM PLATINUM

JohnB
Tech Moderator
Member # 969

TFS heads...I hope he's not using stock valve springs! [Wink]

If you have the room, step up to a 55 series tire. You'll gain a full inch in diameter, which will help on the top end.

Are you shifting where you are shifting because of concern for the rotating assembly, or because the engine is falling on it's face (flat-line)?

--------------------
1965 Shelby Cobra
1993 Cobra
2012 F150 Raptor
2020 GT500

PopTheHood
¯
Member # 7040

I shift at like 5800 because most people say its gonna fuck it up if you go to high all the time. it pulls all the way to 6000, but i never go higher cuz i dont wanna mess it up.
PopTheHood
¯
Member # 7040

Right now TFS stage 1 cam
PopTheHood
¯
Member # 7040

I also have a 150 shot but i have never used it on this engine yet. would like to though
uncle bill
¯
Member # 3953

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for uncle bill  Ford pictures for uncle bill  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
what have your trap speeds been
66 AC COBRA
Nitrous King
Member # 904

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 66 AC COBRA  Ford pictures for 66 AC COBRA    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
not saying your engine can handle the rpm as is but the nitous will extend the power band a few hundred rpm

after doing the calculator for mph, based on what you have told us the car will be at 124mph at 6000rpm, now i dont thin that you are anywhere close to 124 on the motor unless you have a stripped out car

so with that being said, maybe the clutch is toast

--------------------
FFR AC Cobra
72 Vega - WCHRA Extreme 10.5

PopTheHood
¯
Member # 7040

I think my best was 114.8 or somthing like that. I have a shiftlight that has a pill for 5300 rpm. when the light goes off i wait to shift for a little bit. maybe in fourth gear i dont wait long enough, and im not going as high of rpm as i think i am. maybe 5500. next time i go ill watch my rpm's

[ February 02, 2007, 05:33 AM: Message edited by: PopTheHood ]

uncle bill
¯
Member # 3953

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for uncle bill  Ford pictures for uncle bill  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 66 AC COBRA:
not saying your engine can handle the rpm as is but the nitous will extend the power band a few hundred rpm

after doing the calculator for mph, based on what you have told us the car will be at 124mph at 6000rpm, now i dont thin that you are anywhere close to 124 on the motor unless you have a stripped out car

so with that being said, maybe the clutch is toast

my thoughts exactly,134mph @ 6500, and 144 @ 7000

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com