Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Is 331 smog legal?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Is 331 smog legal?
The TASM
CAFords OG
Member # 292

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for The TASM  Ford pictures for The TASM    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I'm about to hit the 170,000mi mark on my 94 5.0, been thinking about rebuilding, maybe a 331ci stroker. I heard that Coast Performance builds a 347-E block that is CARB certified legal, but the extra $1000 over a 331 does not interest me. So would a 331 stroker fail when I take it for smog next year or will I be okay? What are some smog friendly 331 combos?

--------------------
1984 Cadillac Eldorado, vogue tires, 100 shot NOS

Posts: 558 | From: nineonesix | Registered: Jun 2001  |  :
CMELEVU
¯
Member # 2563

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for CMELEVU  Ford pictures for CMELEVU    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by The TASM:
I'm about to hit the 170,000mi mark on my 94 5.0, been thinking about rebuilding, maybe a 331ci stroker. I heard that Coast Performance builds a 347-E block that is CARB certified legal, but the extra $1000 over a 331 does not interest me. So would a 331 stroker fail when I take it for smog next year or will I be okay? What are some smog friendly 331 combos?

For smog friendly, your gonna want to pay attention to your head and cam combo. The displacement of the motor shouldnt matter. Not sure of the compression ratio to keep it at. 10 to 1 or 10.5 to 1 would be pump gas friendly. Dont forget the supporting mods too, (i.e. injectors, mass air throttle body.) Do lots of research and find carb numbers for external stuff.
Posts: 201 | From: Marysville | Registered: Mar 2003  |  :
The TASM
CAFords OG
Member # 292

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for The TASM  Ford pictures for The TASM    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Thanks, I will look for the parts that have CARB numbers.

[ January 29, 2007, 04:53 PM: Message edited by: The TASM ]

Posts: 558 | From: nineonesix | Registered: Jun 2001  |  :
86BackInBlack
¯
Member # 5372

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 86BackInBlack  Ford pictures for 86BackInBlack    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i remember the 347 i had built for me had a smog and no smog option, it was from ford racing. maybe somethin to do with the pistons?

--------------------
http://i.imgur.com/go1nj.gif

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com