Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » 2001 GT Combo?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: 2001 GT Combo?
Notch1320
Man Pedal
Member # 2647

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Notch1320  Ford pictures for Notch1320    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
A friend of mine has a 2001 GT 5 speed with the following mods:

Long tube headers
H pipe
Exhaust
80mm T/B
Mass Air Meter
He is installing either 3:73's or 3:90's soon.

He is looking for heads, and a cam possibly, and other supporting mods to reach around 400HP. I am unfamiliar with the 2V motor, and was looking for some advice on part selection to achieve his goal. It is a daily driver that doesn't see the track really. Any help would be greatly appreciated, as to what is a good combo, and what to stay away from. He has talked about adding a supercharger in the future, but wants the most out of a N/A set up for now.

Who has the best heads and cam for the 2V?

Thanks

Posts: 2349 | From: Yuba City, CA | Registered: Mar 2003  |  :
92stangLX
¯
Member # 3252

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 92stangLX  Ford pictures for 92stangLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
He should also look at some of the new PI aftermarket intakes that are coming out. Typhoon has one out on the market right now. There is also the Bullit intake but that is some serious $$$.

I have heard that Trick Flow is coming out with one pretty soon. Does anyone have any more info on this?

Posts: 5302 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Sep 2003  |  :
TRIXSNK
¯
Member # 2844

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for TRIXSNK  Ford pictures for TRIXSNK    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Haven't been in the 2V market for a while but if memory serves me well.

It's gunna be hard to get 400rwhp outta that N/A.

You'll need 2 cams so companies like Comp cams, patriot heads, livernois, fox lake, etc.

If i had my 02 gt again i'd just skip that and throw a blower on it i/c'd if you like and make close to 375 rwhp.

[ January 23, 2007, 03:19 PM: Message edited by: TRIXSNK ]

--------------------
9 Sec EVO 9 is GONE!

New project in the works.......

92stangLX
¯
Member # 3252

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 92stangLX  Ford pictures for 92stangLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by TRIXSNK:
Haven't been in the 2V market for a while but if memory serves me well.

It's gunna be hard to get 400rwhp outta that N/A.

You'll need 2 cams so companies like Comp cams, patriot heads, livernois, fox lake, etc.

If i had my 02 gt again i'd just skip that and throw a blower on it i/c'd if you like and make close to 375 rwhp.

Yeah, I thought that getting serious HP out of a two valve motor NA was pretty damn expensive compared to bolting on a blower.

Personally, if I was going to do it I would do the following and call it good:

- 2 1/2" cat back
- upper plenum and throttle body
- blower with 6-8lbs of boost (9-10lbs with a cooler)
- power pipe
- 42lb injectors and upgrded fuel pump
- custom tune
- 3:73 gears

BlackNGold
CaliforniaFords.com
Member # 655

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlackNGold  Ford pictures for BlackNGold    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Yeah, for the amount of money it would take to build a P.I 2V 4.6 to make 400 rwhp would not be worth the hassle...I did read 400hp not 400rwhp, big difference...

SO, I'd talk to 93pony on this one, but ported heads and cams you might hit the 350rwhp(around 400+gross-hp) with all the other corrosponding bolt ons....But I'd say kiss smog goodbye...Smog's not that big a deal with if it's just changing long tubes, but it wouldn't be worth it for me to change engines or get caught and get impounded...

I like 92stanglx's idea... [patriot]

--------------------
-SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT-

Posts: 5132 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
Notch1320
Man Pedal
Member # 2647

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Notch1320  Ford pictures for Notch1320    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The car is located in Arizona, and I am not sure if smog is an issue. I seriously doubt that 400HP is realistic for the amount of money he is looking to spend. I think 350HP is attainable with a tune, ported heads, cams, intake, and the basic stuff he has. Fox Lake seems to have their shit together with the 2V based on a customer of theirs, Eric Holliday running 11.41 in NMRA Factory Stock. I think his best bet is just to add a blower, and be done with it. Any suggestions on blowers, and also what fuel system pieces are required?

[ January 24, 2007, 09:41 PM: Message edited by: Notch1320 ]

Posts: 2349 | From: Yuba City, CA | Registered: Mar 2003  |  :
92stangLX
¯
Member # 3252

quote:
Originally posted by Notch1320:
The car is located in Arizona, and I am not sure if smog is an issue. I seriously doubt that 400HP is realistic for the amount of money he is looking to spend. I think 350HP is attainable with a tune, ported heads, cams, intake, and the basic stuff he has. Fox Lake seems to have their shit together with the 2V based on a customer of theirs, Eric Holliday running 11.41 in NMRA Factory Stock. I think his best bet is just to add a blower, and be done with it. Any suggestions on blowers, and also what fuel system pieces are required?

As far as blower go my vote would be Vortech or Procharger [patriot]

You can also run a possitive displacement blower like the Saleen, Kenne Bell, or FRPP.

BOTIH8R
¯
Member # 7295

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BOTIH8R  Ford pictures for BOTIH8R  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
be carefull if youre not touching the bottom end those motors dont tend to last very long when you hit the upper 300's or better on stock bottom end.
Posts: 1143 | From: sacramento | Registered: Dec 2006  |  :
90RanGer
¯
Member # 2906

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 90RanGer  Ford pictures for 90RanGer  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Personally I wouldn't waste time on N/A. I went that whole route and wasn't all that happy. I have ported heads, vt stage 1 cams and bullitt intake. I Just sold my bullitt intake, gona be selling the cams soon. Decided to go kenne bell.. All the money spent N/A on a 4.6 seems to be a waste IMO, since its much easier and really comes down to the same price to go supercharged, you can always go on ebay and get a used vortech kit for under 2k. I see them all the time on their for $1500-1600 used.

If he wants to go supercharged in the near future, then I would say save for a forged bottom end, or only spend money on stuff that will compliment a s/c. N/A cams wont work with a blower because of to much overlap.

Posts: 142 | From: Santa Cruz, CA | Registered: Jun 2003  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com