Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Rebuild or Crate???

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Rebuild or Crate???
CSR1909
Member # 7400

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for CSR1909  Ford pictures for CSR1909    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Hi, I just picked up a 1991 Mustang GT and I'm kind of torn on what to do. The car itself has 163k and the engine runs alright, but I cant seem to figure out whether I should buy a crate engine or simply rebuild the one i have. If anyone knows any shops or can give me advice that would be great. I have no idea how much a rebuild costs but I guess dropping a crate in is about 1500-2000?
adower
¯
Member # 5955

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for adower  Ford pictures for adower    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If you go with a rebuild your person will be local. If anything happens you can always drive there and have them look at it. However, if you go crate you cant do that.

--------------------
98 Cobra
Griggs
S Trim
HRE

CMELEVU
¯
Member # 2563

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for CMELEVU  Ford pictures for CMELEVU    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You should be able to get the bottom end done really nice for 1500-2000. Definitely get your self some nice aftermarket pistons, and decent set of rods. Do you want to stay stock displacement? There are some nice engine kits out there. Have a local shop do the machine/assembly work if you cant do it yourself.
Posts: 201 | From: Marysville | Registered: Mar 2003  |  :
CSR1909
Member # 7400

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for CSR1909  Ford pictures for CSR1909    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I am by no means a mechanic which is why I'm concerned about all of this. I can do basic things like oil changes but when it comes to rebuilding an engine i have NO chance at all. I'd really like to beef up the power since I'm trying to build a quick car, but it seems like in parts and labor i'd be spending a lot more buying it seperately when I could get a GT40 crate for like 3500. On the other hand, it seems like rebuilding an engine would be a lot less overall work and i could do all of these things in steps. I'm not sure though
kingmoochr
¯
Member # 5834

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for kingmoochr  Ford pictures for kingmoochr    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
get the long block assembled. theres a place in sf that has been in business for 40 years. @2400 would get you a ewbuild w/ new pistons, clevite bearings, double roller timing chain, valve job, all new wear parts in the head (locks, seals, etc) balance and zero deck. heads can also be milled to achieve @10.5-1 compression, which is about max you want to run on the street and a decent cam. the shop is nick rescino performance engines, and their number is 415 647 9575. they have my 408 their that im building, but its just a little bit more than a std rebuild, more like h beam rods, solid roller lifters and shaft rockers [burnout]

the main issue with a crate motor is where you going to take it if you have a problem? gonna yank it out and crate it up and send it back? and you are much more likely to have an issue than with a local shop, because crate motors are basically built on an assembly line, where, at least at the shop above, a lot more care and time is taken to make sure all the clearances are within spec, so not only does it run harder, but longer as well.

[ January 22, 2007, 10:15 PM: Message edited by: kingmoochr ]

JohnB
Tech Moderator
Member # 969

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JohnB  Ford pictures for JohnB    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Depends on what you want. You can get a decent, long-lasting crate from an established builder or go cheap and do a basic rebuild.

--------------------
1965 Shelby Cobra
1993 Cobra
2012 F150 Raptor
2020 GT500

Posts: 6523 | From: Orlando FL/Redding CA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :
408sbfmustang
¯
Member # 3820

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 408sbfmustang  Ford pictures for 408sbfmustang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Hey if you want a engine rebuilt email me at 408sbfmustang@sbcglobal.net
92stangLX
¯
Member # 3252

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 92stangLX  Ford pictures for 92stangLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by adower:
If you go with a rebuild your person will be local. If anything happens you can always drive there and have them look at it. However, if you go crate you cant do that.

I like this idea too. I would price out a crate motor vs. having it built by a reputable local builder. I am guessing the cost difference isn't that much.
Posts: 5302 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Sep 2003  |  :
DLo
¯
Member # 6133

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for DLo  Ford pictures for DLo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I was in the same situation and opted for a local builder for the same reasons as listed above. At least I can get someone to tow the car to the shop instead of shipping something to the other side of the continent if something goes wrong [patriot]

--------------------
94 GT

Posts: 1876 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Oct 2005  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com