Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » need some help....all input is great!

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: need some help....all input is great!
98cobraGUY68
¯
Member # 1505

Ford Icon 2 posted      Profile for 98cobraGUY68  Ford pictures for 98cobraGUY68  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
My car has been giving me problems for almost 1yr. now and im finally going to take the steps to get it running agian. here goes...1rst.-broke down on me while giving it some gas at about 75mph on 680 near dublin on the freeway...car just shut off...no response when i hit the gas at all....had it towed to SWANSON FORD DEALERSHIP IN LOS GATOS and they replaced the fuel pump...a few days later it happens agian in SF in a tunnel....(go figure right)...tow truck damages vehicle and they replace a fuel pump relay. Im driving home and less then 2 miles from the dealership...no response on tyhe gas for a second...but then its ok agian....i take it back to swanson the week it is going under and they cant find a problem....i drive it another 50miles or so and it breaks down agian!!!!!!!!!! It sits for about 7 days and replace a large 20fuse under the hood in the main fusebox and it runs fine for about 20miles and breaks down on me agian. I have it towed to Frontier ford in san jose and it sits the weekend....they have to charge the battery up agian and agian they cant find a problem. its running fine and wont fail!!!! Now its in front of my house and the fuse is not blown and i replaced the battery and it started!...drove it around the block about 6 times and then i started away from my house and it shut off agian!...I replaced the fuse and nothing but ...click click click click...trying to turn over. Now its 4 months later ...i charge the battery over night and it starts and after a few min. the idle is purring perfect...i put it in my driveway...and start it for a few days jus to let it run...5 days go by and now its dead agian!...the Fuse is fine right now. WHAT IS THE PROBLEM! i dont know where to take it cuz the problem is hideing. Electrical?...a bad ground?...a bad pump?...a bad relay?...a bad alternater?...replace the battery agian?...a bad sensor in the gas tank?(causeing the pump to shut off?)...i tried the pump reset button in the trunk and nothing. The battery is dead agian... Those are my ideas. I Live Near Los Gatos and if anyone can help at all...PLEASE CALL ME @ (408)688 1748 (BRIAN)...thats my cell at any time...any input or ideas will very much be considered. And i have some things that mustang owners would enjoy if i can get this monster rolling agian....only 70K miles on it today! THANK YOU FOR READING! -BRIAN [patriot]

drove it to kragens...so much fun...ALTERNATER FINE. BATTERY FINE. But the MAXI 26 Fuse under the hood is a 40amp cuz the 20amp is blowing...what should i do.

[ January 19, 2007, 07:48 PM: Message edited by: 98cobraGUY68 ]

--------------------
:'98 SVT Cobra (Laser Red)(5027/5174)

R.I.P.

Posts: 431 | From: San Jose,CA | Registered: Jul 2002  |  :
94gt
¯
Member # 3060

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 94gt  Ford pictures for 94gt  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
when what the fuel filter last changed?

What voltage is the alt putting out? Sounds like its not properly charging the battery.

--------------------
2020 Explorer ST
2011 Silver Raptor 'Screw

Posts: 5777 | From: Beavercreek, OH | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
98cobraGUY68
¯
Member # 1505

Ford Icon 2 posted      Profile for 98cobraGUY68  Ford pictures for 98cobraGUY68  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
what is the easiest and cheapest way to find out the voltage the ALT is putting out and still...what explains the fuse under the hood blowing....possible related? -----------Fuel filter replace very recently

[ January 18, 2007, 10:13 PM: Message edited by: 98cobraGUY68 ]

--------------------

R.I.P.

Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 98cobraGUY68:
what is the easiest and cheapest way to find out the voltage the ALT is putting out and still...what explains the fuse under the hood blowing....possible related? -----------Fuel filter replace very recently

to check the voltage the alt is putting out, get a voltmeter and set if to DC20v, touch the red lead to the power wire on the back of the alt, and the black lead to a bolt on the engine.

compare that voltage with the voltage at the battery terminals.

[ January 18, 2007, 11:06 PM: Message edited by: Blind ]

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
modular
¯
Member # 6599

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for modular  Ford pictures for modular    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Someone said california rewire is good?

--------------------
I had no idea that so many people knew everything until I joined this site.
I was prolly drunk. Get over it
***BEWARE*** COP CALLERS! Eljefe-Adower!

Posts: 548 | From: sacramento | Registered: Mar 2006  |  :
98cobraGUY68
¯
Member # 1505

so now all i have to do is barrow a battery charger to get it running first huh....cuz it wont start right now...

--------------------

R.I.P.

r3dn3ck
¯
Member # 3192

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for r3dn3ck  Ford pictures for r3dn3ck  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
want to see volts... you should be able to do it this way:

turn car to accessory power, turn off radio, hold in the trip reset peg. While continuing to hold the trip reset button, turn the car to the ON position but do not start the engine just yet. After the odometer flashes the mileage (you should still be holding in the reset button) wait till the digital odo readout goes all wacky. You'll know it when you see it. Release the trip reset button now. Your guage cluster is now in diag mode. You can flip through the various diagnostics and on one of them you'll see the volts. You can watch the readout live too. Just start the car and your cluster will still be in diag mode. Pressing the trip reset button again will cycle through to the next data point.

NOTE:
To turn back to normal readout, just turn the key to off. As soon as you do, it's done. There are other metrics in there too, like miles till empty, oil temp, RPM, DTC's, etc... Have fun.

[ January 19, 2007, 04:27 PM: Message edited by: r3dn3ck ]

--------------------
Good judgement comes from experience, experience comes from bad judgement. Via O'Connor

98cobraGUY68
¯
Member # 1505

its a 1998 cobra and there is no digital readout...

--------------------

R.I.P.

98cobraGUY68
¯
Member # 1505

drove it to kragens...so much fun...ALTERNATER FINE. BATTERY FINE. But the MAXI 26 Fuse under the hood is a 40amp cuz the 20amp is blowing...what should i do. [Whoo Whooooo!]

--------------------

R.I.P.

Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by r3dn3ck:
want to see volts... you should be able to do it this way:

turn car to accessory power, turn off radio, hold in the trip reset peg. While continuing to hold the trip reset button, turn the car to the ON position but do not start the engine just yet. After the odometer flashes the mileage (you should still be holding in the reset button) wait till the digital odo readout goes all wacky. You'll know it when you see it. Release the trip reset button now. Your guage cluster is now in diag mode. You can flip through the various diagnostics and on one of them you'll see the volts. You can watch the readout live too. Just start the car and your cluster will still be in diag mode. Pressing the trip reset button again will cycle through to the next data point.

NOTE:
To turn back to normal readout, just turn the key to off. As soon as you do, it's done. There are other metrics in there too, like miles till empty, oil temp, RPM, DTC's, etc... Have fun.

that's cool and all, but that will show the voltage at a point that does not matter when testing the alternator's output.

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
modular
¯
Member # 6599

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for modular  Ford pictures for modular    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I guess you got it started huh? Take it to Ca rewire. Im not sure if they make a majic wand for 98 cobras best to let them look at it. [patriot]

--------------------
I had no idea that so many people knew everything until I joined this site.
I was prolly drunk. Get over it
***BEWARE*** COP CALLERS! Eljefe-Adower!

Posts: 548 | From: sacramento | Registered: Mar 2006  |  :
98cobraGUY68
¯
Member # 1505

yeah..i dont know what to do....the MAXI 26 fuse is blowing...where is CA rewire?...got any contact info?

--------------------

R.I.P.

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com