Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » stuttering and dying engine..

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: stuttering and dying engine..
full throttle
¯
Member # 7220

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for full throttle  Ford pictures for full throttle    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
my engine stutters when i get on it, i just installed hedman long tube headers, and after it started stuttering when i get on it. also the engine dies out when it comes to a stop and stuff unless i stay on the gas.. is there anything i can check?
Jdub07
( O Y O )
Member # 2728

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jdub07  Ford pictures for Jdub07    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Run the codes...but sometimes it takes the computer some time to reset itself when changing air flow.
full throttle
¯
Member # 7220

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for full throttle  Ford pictures for full throttle    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
how do i runt he code? my car doesn't even have a check engine light.. last owner took it out or something. PLUS i'm hella new to stangs..
5.0JerM
¯
Member # 5149

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 5.0JerM  Ford pictures for 5.0JerM    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
check and make sure the o2 sensors are connected

--------------------
1987 Black Notchback (I'm back!)
1989 White Notchback (4cyl-V8 conversion) R.I.P
1990 Blue Notchback (orginal 5.0) Sold
1996 Saturn SL2 R.I.P

Jdub07
( O Y O )
Member # 2728

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jdub07  Ford pictures for Jdub07    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Check engine light doesn't need to be on for something to be wrong.

What year car is it?

Run the codes with a code scanner 94+ OBD II 93- use a paper clip or cheap kragan scanner

modular
¯
Member # 6599

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for modular  Ford pictures for modular    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Did you burn a spark plug wire on the headers? Maybe they are backwards? Check firing order and make sure you didnt burn a wire.

--------------------
I had no idea that so many people knew everything until I joined this site.
I was prolly drunk. Get over it
***BEWARE*** COP CALLERS! Eljefe-Adower!

Posts: 548 | From: sacramento | Registered: Mar 2006  |  :
89goose
¯
Member # 7196

Ford Icon 6 posted      Profile for 89goose  Ford pictures for 89goose        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by full throttle:
my engine stutters when i get on it, i just installed hedman long tube headers, and after it started stuttering when i get on it. also the engine dies out when it comes to a stop and stuff unless i stay on the gas.. is there anything i can check?

mine was doing the exact same thing.when at a stop and trying to go it might cut off or sputter- i messed with my throttle cable-and spring on the side of the trottle body- mine was kinda stuck/stiff - so i kept moving it to get it kinda looser 9while the car is off of course)
then i did a tune-up
plugs, wires, cap & rotor, fuel filter, new tps, cleaned the MAF sensor and the IAR.
try first cleaning the MAF sensor- and the IAR and while doing that unhook your battery for at least 30min - it clears the computers memory- thus everything gets reset.
here is a link that greatly helped me- thanks to another member here !
http://www.muscularmustangs.com/maintain.php

full throttle
¯
Member # 7220

thx for the help guys. really appreciated it. but i changed my spark plugs and spark plug wires. my brand new MSD wires were somehow touching the headers, and i guess it didn't spark. i fucked with the idle screw too and now everything is cool

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com