Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » long tube help!

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: long tube help!
full throttle
¯
Member # 7220

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for full throttle  Ford pictures for full throttle    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i installed long tubes on my 88 fox body yesterday, and ran into a few problems.

The flange on the headers don't sit flush with the head, it seems like the runners are bigger than the head port or something. is it the wrong header?

2nd, i couldn't use my stock bolts to bolt it up, the washer on the bolt hits the runners. Do people always use after market bolts, if so, is there a certain brand?

any help would be appreciated thank you

[ January 13, 2007, 04:37 PM: Message edited by: full throttle ]

JohnB
Tech Moderator
Member # 969

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JohnB  Ford pictures for JohnB    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Is this on a auto trans car? If so, check the clearance at the bellhousing. Also check to make sure they aren't hitting the K member.

And yes, you'll need new bolts.

--------------------
1965 Shelby Cobra
1993 Cobra
2012 F150 Raptor
2020 GT500

Posts: 6523 | From: Orlando FL/Redding CA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :
full throttle
¯
Member # 7220

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for full throttle  Ford pictures for full throttle    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
5 speed car, its not hitting anything. is it stil ok to run it even though the flange isn't flush with the head?
JohnB
Tech Moderator
Member # 969

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JohnB  Ford pictures for JohnB    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
What gaskets are you using? Have you swapped the bolts out?

--------------------
1965 Shelby Cobra
1993 Cobra
2012 F150 Raptor
2020 GT500

Posts: 6523 | From: Orlando FL/Redding CA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :
full throttle
¯
Member # 7220

im using a fel pro gasket, you think that could be the problem, im about to get allen key bolts. you think that would work?
CornOil_&_Boost
¯
Member # 5888

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for CornOil_&_Boost  Ford pictures for CornOil_&_Boost    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I personally don't the like allen bolts...I always prefer ARP header bolts...

what gasket are you using?

[ January 14, 2007, 03:41 AM: Message edited by: jordan_0806 ]

--------------------
https://www.facebook.com/pushrodpoweredmustangs
'95 Cobra - small engine / small turbo -
'02 Excursion 7.3 - tow vehicle
'14 - Chevy Volt - DD

full throttle
¯
Member # 7220

fel pro gasket
Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
if it isn't flush, get another set of gaskets (stack 2 on each side), and a set of arp header bolts that are longer than the bolts you have now and you'll be good.

[ January 14, 2007, 07:18 PM: Message edited by: Blind ]

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
full throttle
¯
Member # 7220

i got everything in, now my steering rack is rubbing against my 4th runner on the driver side, the mounts aren't bolted up yet, it doesn't look like it will clear, anyone have any problems with this? so far i hate the design of hedman headers
CornOil_&_Boost
¯
Member # 5888

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for CornOil_&_Boost  Ford pictures for CornOil_&_Boost    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by full throttle:
i got everything in, now my steering rack is rubbing against my 4th runner on the driver side, the mounts aren't bolted up yet, it doesn't look like it will clear, anyone have any problems with this? so far i hate the design of hedman headers

that's pretty muc normal on any long tube install abotu the rubbing...you can do a couple of things....

1) hammer is your friend for clearance
2) pry bar is another friend for clearance
3) change the motor mounts otu to energy suspension..they lift the motor up enough for clearance...at least that what I have come across

--------------------
'14 - Chevy Volt - DD

full throttle
¯
Member # 7220

quote:
Originally posted by jordan_0806:
quote:

that's pretty muc normal on any long tube install abotu the rubbing...you can do a couple of things....

3) change the motor mounts otu to energy suspension..they lift the motor up enough for clearance...at least that what I have come across

i'm using prothane motor mounts.. would that help?
CornOil_&_Boost
¯
Member # 5888

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by jordan_0806:
quote:

i'm using prothane motor mounts.. would that help?
My friend had the same problem with prothane mounts...we switched them to Energy and it cleared

--------------------
'14 - Chevy Volt - DD

CMELEVU
¯
Member # 2563

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for CMELEVU  Ford pictures for CMELEVU    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
yeah i have all kinds of clearance issues with my long tubes. but i have a scatter shield, and the car used to be and auto. I think to make mine clear next time i'm going with a set of customs. combo now just doesnt warrant the cost of custom headers
Posts: 201 | From: Marysville | Registered: Mar 2003  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com