Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Put motor in 87 mustang and it wont start.

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Put motor in 87 mustang and it wont start.
PopTheHood
¯
Member # 7040

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for PopTheHood  Ford pictures for PopTheHood    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I just got done swapping a 331 into my 85. I Put the motor that came out of the 85 into the 87. Hooked it all up all the connections, hoses, ect.
got the distributor to TDC. Tryed to start it and i got one pop out of it. then nothing again. the 87 has been sitting in my driveway for a year and a half. hasn't been running. the motor that i just put in it has 10,000 miles on it. its getting spark, and getting gas. i pulled the plug and it smelled like gas. Is there a computer reset switch? i dont know anything about fuel injection so any info would help. Thanks

PWR HNGRY 302
¯
Member # 6000

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for PWR HNGRY 302  Ford pictures for PWR HNGRY 302    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
How old is the fuel thats in the tank?

--------------------
87 Fox- Restoration in progress
2014 Tacoma DCLB MGM
2017 Prius Prime (The Daily)

Posts: 2655 | From: SF Bay Area | Registered: Sep 2005  |  :
PopTheHood
¯
Member # 7040

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for PopTheHood  Ford pictures for PopTheHood    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
some old, some new
92stangLX
¯
Member # 3252

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 92stangLX  Ford pictures for 92stangLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Are you getting spark? I would also double check your timing.
Posts: 5302 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Sep 2003  |  :
JBeezy53
CAFords OG
Member # 3960

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JBeezy53  Ford pictures for JBeezy53    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
What firing order do you have hooked up? If its not a roller motor then you have to use the older firing order. Supposedly only 86 and newer have the windsor firing order but my brother's 84 has the windsor firing order.

--------------------
89 Gt
98 Cobra
88 Notch
05 GSXR 750 Blk/Yel

Posts: 1782 | From: Sacramento, Ca | Registered: Jan 2004  |  :
66 AC COBRA
Nitrous King
Member # 904

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 66 AC COBRA  Ford pictures for 66 AC COBRA    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by JBeezy53:
What firing order do you have hooked up? If its not a roller motor then you have to use the older firing order. Supposedly only 86 and newer have the windsor firing order but my brother's 84 has the windsor firing order.

it should start with a slightly wrong firing order

are you sure the distributor isnt 180* out

--------------------
FFR AC Cobra
72 Vega - WCHRA Extreme 10.5

PopTheHood
¯
Member # 7040

I am possitive about it being at TDC. It is also a roller motor. I bought it new not to long ago. it has 10,000 miles on it. Could it be the gas? whatever was left was bad? if so should i unplug the fuel line and run some of the fuel out?
modular
¯
Member # 6599

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for modular  Ford pictures for modular    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Prolly TDC on the wrong stroke i vote 180 out.

--------------------
I had no idea that so many people knew everything until I joined this site.
I was prolly drunk. Get over it
***BEWARE*** COP CALLERS! Eljefe-Adower!

Posts: 548 | From: sacramento | Registered: Mar 2006  |  :
SlowStockFox
Stock Fox
Member # 1081

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SlowStockFox  Ford pictures for SlowStockFox  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
do you got the ground on the back of the heads

--------------------
i walk around....dont drink and drive

Eddie510-
CAFords OG
Member # 2354

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eddie510-  Ford pictures for Eddie510-    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
if you was close to me i would help you out bro, bet we would get that thing up n running,good luck bro [patriot]

[ February 27, 2007, 02:14 AM: Message edited by: Eddie510- ]

--------------------
"I like to be more politicaly correct than what I really believe so I can get more frinds here on CaFords"-Cummings "TIPICKLE"

cummins
¯
Member # 5931

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for cummins  Ford pictures for cummins    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
180 out? If that was the case it would pop more than once. He said it only popped once. 180 out would be nasty poppin!! But who knows maybe it is!!!

If its not 180 then it does sound like you have a firing order issue. You can rule out fuel by measuring fuel pressure and making sure that its correct. Test spark and make sure its still good. Get a damn timing light and make sure timing is correct. If you pulled the plug and it smells like gas then you have the wrong firing order (timing fucked up) or your not getting spark.

--------------------
Your definitely jealous of my strength and brains. - 68_427_Fastback

Cummins looks like the Wendy's girl......without the pig tails. - JT

Posts: 3441 | From: The Rice Fields | Registered: Aug 2005  |  :
JohnB
Tech Moderator
Member # 969

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JohnB  Ford pictures for JohnB    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If it's getting spark and getting gas, you have a timing issue. Did you pull the #1 plug and check TDC that way or did you rotate it over to TDC and stab the dizzy?

--------------------
1965 Shelby Cobra
1993 Cobra
2012 F150 Raptor
2020 GT500

Posts: 6523 | From: Orlando FL/Redding CA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :
HaulinAss Motorsports
Its a STREETRaceCar!
Member # 541

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for HaulinAss Motorsports  Ford pictures for HaulinAss Motorsports    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
ummmm this thread is almost 2 months old [Wink] I would HOPE he has figured out the problem since! [Big Grin]
Posts: 22472 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Nov 2001  |  :
PWR HNGRY 302
¯
Member # 6000

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for PWR HNGRY 302  Ford pictures for PWR HNGRY 302    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Yea he got it figured out a while back.

--------------------
87 Fox- Restoration in progress
2014 Tacoma DCLB MGM
2017 Prius Prime (The Daily)

Posts: 2655 | From: SF Bay Area | Registered: Sep 2005  |  :
PopTheHood
¯
Member # 7040

Yea the two throttle body gaskets were switched. one had holes one didn't. the one without hole was put in the place that needed holes. so the motor couldn't breath. Thats what the shop said was wrong. Thanks for all the help anyway guys. [patriot]

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com