Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » help again on 94GT

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: help again on 94GT
NonOpSlow2V
¯
Member # 6111

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NonOpSlow2V  Ford pictures for NonOpSlow2V    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
fuckin thing isnt starting again, and i just smoogged and registered it. When i start it, it fires up, and the idle is all shitty, and when i rev it a little it bogs hella and wont rev past 2k until i floor it, then it bogs and dies, then i started it today and it did the same but i let it warm up a ittle on the shitty idle, then it was fine for a bit, i drove it up and down my street and put her back into the drive way adn it was fine. So i turned it off, and restarted it and it just wont fire up again, almost like the engine is flooded and i smell a lot of gas, and the low coolant light comes on on the dash, and I need this car drivable soon. Anyone near san bruno that can come by and take a look, or maybe i cna get a video of it or something but i need help asap i need my wheels on the road. [Confused]

--------------------
1997 Autumn Orange GT vert
1996 Mystic Cobra
2005 95ci Harley Road King
2011 F150 Raptor

Posts: 2139 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Oct 2005  |  :
asskickn88
¯
Member # 4957

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for asskickn88  Ford pictures for asskickn88    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Had the exact same problem with my 95 GT when we got it. It was the mass air sensor. I changed it and the car ran great.

--------------------
Three 540 Bimmers and a 5.0 Explorer.... got a Ford back in the stable!

It's time for the country to do what Obama's own father did.
Abandon him.

Posts: 6069 | From: Rocklin, Ca | Registered: Oct 2004  |  :
BOTIH8R
¯
Member # 7295

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BOTIH8R  Ford pictures for BOTIH8R  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
you can probably get away with cleaning it.little bit of rubbing alcohol on a qtip gently rub it down.spray the screen if equipped with carb clean and let dry.
Posts: 1143 | From: sacramento | Registered: Dec 2006  |  :
sikstang916
¯
Member # 6704

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for sikstang916  Ford pictures for sikstang916    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Ya my 96gt was doin that so i changed the mass air sensor and fuel filter and ran good after that

--------------------
1996 Red Gt
Slp Loudmouth Catback
K&N FIPK Cold Air Intake
UPR Off Road X-Pipe

NCALSVT
¯
Member # 3205

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NCALSVT  Ford pictures for NCALSVT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
oh my god, bro i got a 95 gt, and it was laxcking of power, and it would sputter, i changed my fuel pump, to a holly 190 today, and also cleaned my MAF, and would really huge differnce, the most was the cleaning of the MAF, got the stuff at kragen
NonOpSlow2V
¯
Member # 6111

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NonOpSlow2V  Ford pictures for NonOpSlow2V    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
wow thanks ya';; i'm gonna tear into it 2marrow...hopefully that solves the problem, it would probably help if i change the filter too, it was pretty bad when i bought it...once again guys thanks again...

--------------------
1996 Mystic Cobra
2011 F150 Raptor

94gt
¯
Member # 3060

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 94gt  Ford pictures for 94gt  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
My old 94 had an issue that sounds just like what you are describing... turned out to be the PIP sensor inside the Distributor.

the low coolant light is coming on because you are losing fluid somewhere... Probably the heater core... add water and let it idle (to norm op temp) with a piece of carboard beneath it to help you track it down. If it looks like its coming from the passenger side firewall, there's a little drain for the heater core that likes to spit out water when the heater core dies.

--------------------
2020 Explorer ST
2011 Silver Raptor 'Screw

Posts: 5777 | From: Beavercreek, OH | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
v-town coupe
fordologist
Member # 2771

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for v-town coupe  Ford pictures for v-town coupe    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
not sure if anyone has used all-data before but a ton of of ford products from 92-98 had mass air issues usually u cant get away with cleaning them i have always used brake cleaner and had no issues using it and one time i even picked up 5 mpg and the pinging stopped this may not be ur problem but i thought id throw that info out there.
Posts: 4597 | From: the V-town | Registered: May 2003  |  :
94gt
¯
Member # 3060

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 94gt  Ford pictures for 94gt  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by v-town coupe:
not sure if anyone has used all-data before but a ton of of ford products from 92-98 had mass air issues usually u cant get away with cleaning them i have always used brake cleaner and had no issues using it and one time i even picked up 5 mpg and the pinging stopped this may not be ur problem but i thought id throw that info out there.

That has to be the longest run on sentence I have ever seen. [Eek!]

--------------------
2020 Explorer ST

NonOpSlow2V
¯
Member # 6111

So i cleaned the MAF sensor, the IAC and the TPS, and still the thing started up with a shitty idle. I drove it around the block and it kind of settled down alittle, still has that power loss feeling when i accelerate, and then i turned it off, and tried to restart it and it failed to fire up again...for some reason it only fires up the second time when i have the pedal all the way to the floor...what the hell does that mean? Wheil at Kragen when i bought the MAF cleaner, i also bought a new fule filter cuz i dont know when it was replaced, and I also have the new Cap and Rotor from FOrd that i havent put in yet...any freakin ideas?...If someone near the 650 can come and drive it to diagnosis it...i would appreciate it...

--------------------
1996 Mystic Cobra
2011 F150 Raptor

92stangLX
¯
Member # 3252

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 92stangLX  Ford pictures for 92stangLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by autumnstang97:
So i cleaned the MAF sensor, the IAC and the TPS, and still the thing started up with a shitty idle. I drove it around the block and it kind of settled down alittle, still has that power loss feeling when i accelerate, and then i turned it off, and tried to restart it and it failed to fire up again...for some reason it only fires up the second time when i have the pedal all the way to the floor...what the hell does that mean? Wheil at Kragen when i bought the MAF cleaner, i also bought a new fule filter cuz i dont know when it was replaced, and I also have the new Cap and Rotor from FOrd that i havent put in yet...any freakin ideas?...If someone near the 650 can come and drive it to diagnosis it...i would appreciate it...

I believe that if you put the pedal to the floor it will shut off the injectors when the motor is cranking. Could be running rich??

Try pulling codes.

Posts: 5302 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Sep 2003  |  :
Hungry Hippo
¯
Member # 537

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hungry Hippo  Ford pictures for Hungry Hippo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
try a new ECT sensor, thats what it sounds like

--------------------
05 S4 Avant(wagon)
09 C6 H/C/I

NonOpSlow2V
¯
Member # 6111

where is the ECT sensor located?

--------------------
1996 Mystic Cobra
2011 F150 Raptor

NonOpSlow2V
¯
Member # 6111

Ok i bought the EEC-IV Code Reader from AZone today and i plugged it in and all and had no idea what i was doing, directions were tough. Anyone know how to use this thing? I need help pulling codes...so i can finally stop bothering you all and actually spend more time driving the 94 rather then wrenching...thanks

--------------------
1996 Mystic Cobra
2011 F150 Raptor

94gt
¯
Member # 3060

Generally, you just plug it in at the connector located under the hood on the passenger side (94/95's) and read away... Some of them will require you to press a few buttons to read the codes. What model did you get?

FYI, the 96+'s read from the DTC connector right near the driver's right leg.

[ January 12, 2007, 11:20 PM: Message edited by: 94gt ]

--------------------
2020 Explorer ST

h8louzn
¯
Member # 1075

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for h8louzn  Ford pictures for h8louzn    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Unplug the mass air meter and see what it does!
If it runs better its the mass air meter.

NonOpSlow2V
¯
Member # 6111

Ok So i took the whole damn top end off the block and re-cleaned everything and checked all the hoses and connections to make sure its all connected, and when i out everything back, i fird it up and it started up fine so then i tested the MAF by unplugging it, which caused the engine to shake, so i'm guessing that its not the MAF, so it was idling fine, and then i drove it down the street, everything was fine, i get to a stop, i look both ways, and then went, i was driving straight , and all of a sudden it started to bog like fuck!...where i had to keep pumping the accelerator to prevent it from dying, i made it back in to my drive way, and i left it on, and i was idling ok, but everytime i hit the throttle plate just a slight bit, the RPM dropped and sputtered and then came back up when i opened the TB plate a little more, then i turned her off, and tried to fire her back up again and this time she didnt, just kept cranking...i'm lost here...also that little code reader i bought works with lights and beeps, theres no little screen like the OBDII one that i have for my 97, it was the one at A-Zone for like 40 bucks...anyway, anyone wanna come and take a look at this poor 94?...I'm Heineken and pizza ready...i dont have much cash either but i can see what i can give ya...i just need this GT up and running soon so i can use it as a daily driver... [Smile]

--------------------
1996 Mystic Cobra
2011 F150 Raptor

NonOpSlow2V
¯
Member # 6111

How can i test the TPS? I pulled it while the car was running and it didnt make a difference...could this indicate that its bad? Anyone got a spare one i can borrow to test it?...thanks...by the way how much do they cost anyway?

--------------------
1996 Mystic Cobra
2011 F150 Raptor

94gt
¯
Member # 3060

Did you even look at the distributor like I suggested man? My old 94 had the same issue and I blew a bit of money on crap parts that didnt help before I asked a buddy for advice.

ask to borrow someones stock one for a test.

--------------------
2020 Explorer ST

NonOpSlow2V
¯
Member # 6111

no i didnt..thanks for reminding me...anyone have a stock PIP sensor that i can borrow and that is near by?...unless u ship it and i can ship it back, and if you want to sell it then i'll send what ever you want for it in return...thanks again...

--------------------
1996 Mystic Cobra
2011 F150 Raptor

94gt
¯
Member # 3060

the pip sensor is inside the distributor

--------------------
2020 Explorer ST

NonOpSlow2V
¯
Member # 6111

Anyone have a PIP Sensor that i cna use to test?...or is there a way to test the one in the distributor right now? I took it out already...and the idiot that i am i forgot to scribe a mark on the rotor prior to removing it, so once i get it back into the block do i have to get the #1 cylinder at the bottom of its compression stroke or something?

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com