Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » TURBO VS SUPERCHARGER-(as many responses possible please)

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: TURBO VS SUPERCHARGER-(as many responses possible please)
351R
¯
Member # 5053

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 351R  Ford pictures for 351R    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
this question has been asked before however anyone with a good I.Q on the topic please let me know(thanks alot)...

a.whats the big difference?

b.can any charger compete with turbo?

c.why is turbokit so expensive.

d.please give a general background on the topic.

e.how does procharger sc stand against turbo sc.

thanks for the replys-i will list why i asked the question later...

--------------------
06 R6 BLACK/RED RAVEN ALL STOCK 4 NOW
66 COUPE
88CHP/FOR SALE

"THE STREET DISCIPLE"
"SOON THEY WILL BELIEVE"

Posts: 339 | From: prideland(featuring oakland) | Registered: Nov 2004  |  :
93PONY
Mr. Valve Events
Member # 60

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 93PONY  Ford pictures for 93PONY        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
a. Full boost at peak torque. A Centrifugal SC can't do that.

b. There are no SC kits readily available that make as much HP per LB of boost than a good Turbo setup.

c. You have to pay to play. Turbo kits have many more parts than SC kits...including much of the exhaust system.

d. www.turbomustangs.com

--------------------
www.advancedenginedevelopment.com
SCT dealer
Dynotuning

(916)715-7569

Posts: 4265 | From: Fair Oaks, CA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  :
talaposa
¯
Member # 2460

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for talaposa  Ford pictures for talaposa    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Two other items to add: The turbo will give better fuel economy relative to the centrifugal but the centrifugal will give better low rpm boost. No doubt whatsoever that the turbo will deliver the top end Horsepower.
66 AC COBRA
Nitrous King
Member # 904

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 66 AC COBRA  Ford pictures for 66 AC COBRA    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by talaposa:
Two other items to add: The turbo will give better fuel economy relative to the centrifugal but the centrifugal will give better low rpm boost. No doubt whatsoever that the turbo will deliver the top end Horsepower.

definetly do not listen to this guy [Roll Eyes]
hopefully you just got it backwards
and if you are worried about gas mileage drive a honda we are takin power [patriot]

--------------------
FFR AC Cobra
72 Vega - WCHRA Extreme 10.5

GOT 50
¯
Member # 1960

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for GOT 50  Ford pictures for GOT 50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:

If you are going to take any advice from anyone. Dont take it from that person.
Posts: 2139 | From: SF/DALY CITY/MILLBRAE | Registered: Oct 2002  |  :
happygmore
¯
Member # 7159

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for happygmore  Ford pictures for happygmore    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:

wow!

so far from the truth.

changing to a smaller AR will give you better boost at lower rpms, but may tap out at a higher Rpm. When choosing a turbo you need to see where you want your power to be and how much boost your going to push, then find a motor that will support the size turbo(s) you have.

going with a turbo is not cheap because you basically have to upgrade everything, but it will be a stout setup when done right. there is a ongoing joke of people who choose to go turbo will NEVER have a running car because its sooooo expensive.

Posts: 421 | From: west san jose | Registered: Oct 2006  |  :
JohnB
Tech Moderator
Member # 969

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JohnB  Ford pictures for JohnB    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
A. Cost. Cost is the primary hinderance to anyone who is doing a buildup. SC's are inherantly cheaper due to be a "all-inclusive" package, meaning you don't need alot of extras outside of the fuel system upgrades. Turbo's have issues like headers, piping, etc to deal with.

B. ProCharger. Hands down.

C. See item A.

D. SC's online has a good narrative.

--------------------
1965 Shelby Cobra
1993 Cobra
2012 F150 Raptor
2020 GT500

Posts: 6523 | From: Orlando FL/Redding CA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :
92stangLX
¯
Member # 3252

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 92stangLX  Ford pictures for 92stangLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 351R:
this question has been asked before however anyone with a good I.Q on the topic please let me know(thanks alot)...

a.whats the big difference?

b.can any charger compete with turbo?

c.why is turbokit so expensive.

d.please give a general background on the topic.

e.how does procharger sc stand against turbo sc.

thanks for the replys-i will list why i asked the question later...

A. Turbos don't run on belts so there is no parasitic HP loss like a blower. Turbo kits cost way more than blower kits probably 'cause of all the custom bent tubing and SC's like Vortech are produced in high volume and turbos usually require an intercooler. SC kits are easier to install. Some SC kits are 50 state legal. Tubros aren't (excpet Incon which is out of business).

B. Sure. What are your goals? There are blowers and turbos out there making mad HP.

C. Turbo kits cost way more than blower kits probably 'cause of all the custom bent tubing and SC's like Vortech are produced in high volume.

D. Please tell us what you're goals are. Do you just want to add a turbo/SC to your street car? Do you want it to be smog legal? Are you building an all out race machine?

E. Have no idea.

Posts: 5302 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Sep 2003  |  :
onesicklx
¯
Member # 285

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for onesicklx  Ford pictures for onesicklx  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by JohnB:
A. Cost. Cost is the primary hinderance to anyone who is doing a buildup.

i totally agree with you, but ive notice turbo kit prices going down on late model mustangs... [patriot]
Posts: 1955 | From: san jose, CA | Registered: Jun 2001  |  :
351R
¯
Member # 5053

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 351R  Ford pictures for 351R    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
FIRST OFF I WONT BE LISTENING TO:talaposa

AND SECOND,I WANT THE ABOVE AVERAGE CAR,I HAVE JUST COMPLETED (DAVES ENGINES AND MACHINING)A DART BLOCK 428 ETC(SIZE WAS DECIDED BY BUILDER NOT ME ,I JUST SAID ITS YOUR PROJECT ,I WANTED A 408),WITH AFR 225,AND A F1R PROCHARGER WITH COOLER.THIS MIGHT SOUND SILLY BUT I JUST DONT WANT TO BE SCARED TO RACE A A GUY WITH A TURBO AND ALSO I JUST SEE ALOT OF PEOPLE CONVERTING TO TURBOS.WITH MY OLD V2 I HAD PROBLEMS WIT THE BELT BUT THIS ONE HAS COG PULLY BELT SYSTEM.I MEAN EVEN THE PERSON I PURCHASED MY KIT FROM SOLD ME THE KIT TO GET A TURBO SET UP.I KNOW EVEN WITH WHAT I HAVE WILL BE WAY MORE THAN AVERAGE BUT I GUESS IM JUST HELLA INDECISIVE.IM JUST TRYING TO MAKE THE RIGHT DECISION...YOUR THOUGHTS

--------------------
66 COUPE
88CHP/FOR SALE

"THE STREET DISCIPLE"
"SOON THEY WILL BELIEVE"

poisonpony96
¯
Member # 3942

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for poisonpony96  Ford pictures for poisonpony96    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Get blown by twins! (Turbos) They are the way to go!
75 chevy
¯
Member # 6717

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 75 chevy  Ford pictures for 75 chevy    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
if money is no object... turbo is the "in thing to do."

--------------------
2009 prius
1975 monza

Posts: 1917 | From: california | Registered: Apr 2006  |  :
talaposa
¯
Member # 2460

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for talaposa  Ford pictures for talaposa    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Interesting. There seems to be more bias than common sense. Check out WWW.superchargersonline.com and others that sell and install them and see what they have to say. The comparison is similar to comparing intake manifolds, cams and heads where the intended use should be compatible with the application. Healthy debate is always good.
93PONY
Mr. Valve Events
Member # 60

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 93PONY  Ford pictures for 93PONY        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Judging by the combo I'd guess that money & staying street legal aren't real issues.
I'd also guess this will be strickly a race-gas setup with 20+psi, so if mid/low 8's aren't good enough for you, you may want to go with a turbo setup.

I personally don't really see a need to for any more power than what you'll get with the F1R. It can put out WAY more power than you'll ever be able to use on the street.....if that's your thing. & it'll take a pourpose built suspenssion/chassis setup to take full advantage at the strip.
But if you are worried about a turbo car beating you with a similar combo.....you may want to go turbo or twin turbo. Most of the fastest street/strip EFI stangs out there are Turbo cars.

--------------------
www.advancedenginedevelopment.com
SCT dealer
Dynotuning

(916)715-7569

Posts: 4265 | From: Fair Oaks, CA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  :
kingmoochr
¯
Member # 5834

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for kingmoochr  Ford pictures for kingmoochr    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
tal. id take the word of enthusiasts over the word of salemen any day of the week. that being said, as was stated above, they will be basically equal on the drags. the beauty of turbos is they can be capable of full boost as low as 2500rpm, something a blower has trouble with. if you want to be able to drive around and not have a second thought about that supra that just pulled up to you on the highway, you need to join their realm. keep what you got if ur just dragging it.
talaposa
¯
Member # 2460

Dart 428? Sounds like some asphalt is going to be vulcanized. I put a 427 in my Falcon but I didn't put as much bite in it as you have planned. Still I have a hard time keeping the tires from spinning. Desktop dyno suggests 506 hp for my combo which means much, much more for yours. I'll hide if I see you coming!
351R
¯
Member # 5053

THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT I NEED TO HEAR FROM U-GUYS.BECAUSE REALLY I WANT I MAKE THE BEST DECISION FIRST,SO WITH THAT BEING SAID THANKS-I LEARNED A LITTLE MORE ABOUT TURBOS AND THE ARTICLE THAT JOHN B PUT ME UP ON HELP ALOT IT EXPLAINS EVERYTHING...THANKS ALOT-GOD BLESS

--------------------
66 COUPE
88CHP/FOR SALE

"THE STREET DISCIPLE"
"SOON THEY WILL BELIEVE"

cummins
¯
Member # 5931

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for cummins  Ford pictures for cummins    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by kingmoochr:
if you want to be able to drive around and not have a second thought about that supra that just pulled up to you on the highway, you need to join their realm.

[Smile] [Smile] [Smile] [Smile] [patriot] [patriot]

--------------------
Your definitely jealous of my strength and brains. - 68_427_Fastback

Cummins looks like the Wendy's girl......without the pig tails. - JT

Posts: 3441 | From: The Rice Fields | Registered: Aug 2005  |  :
h8louzn
¯
Member # 1075

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for h8louzn  Ford pictures for h8louzn    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
TRY NOS way cheaper to start with and makes better power on warm to hot days...
2stangs69-91
¯
Member # 1951

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2stangs69-91  Ford pictures for 2stangs69-91    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
A no matter what you will never be the fastest LOL,
B The only reason I went procharger over turbo was I plan on doing some bracket racing and SC cars are easier to stage than turbo cars.(that is my opinion from talking with people who have run both).
C Turbo set ups are bitchen, one of the fastest cars on this board is a Procharger

--------------------
69 Mustang on hold
1991 LX hatch getting a make over
1994 F150 4X4 351
2006 Yamaha V-max 1200 Modded

91Trunkster
¯
Member # 6598

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 91Trunkster  Ford pictures for 91Trunkster    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have a turbo on my fox, it's a thing of beauty when it's running, (the key word when it's running).

At the moment it's down, but will have it up and running shortly. [Smile]

IF YOU HAVE THE MONEY AND THE TIME BUY A TURBO!!!

--------------------
Yellow94GT never touched anyone's sig or banned anyone, so I'm going to quit spreading that rumor. It's not like I have any proof anyways. All yellow94gt and other mods have done is volunteer their time to help other people buy/sell parts, learn how to make their cars go faster and meet fellow enthusiasts. I'm a hater, but it's hard to hate on these facts. I have saved hunrdeds, maybe thousands of dollars here buying and selling parts over the years alone, but I don't care, this website owes me damnit, and I'll piss on it as much as I want. Us haters gonna hate. Why contribute to something when you can take for free?
I act like I'm@Age15
I make friends on the internet that are@Age18
I was picked on in my youth so I became a bully@Age24
My mouth started to run 24/7 on the internet, but my car never at the track@Age26
First pubic hair@Age30
Troll@Age31
My internet friends and I ALL just got the boot for good!@Age31
Yes, you read it right, 31 and just as childish as my fresh out of highschool internet friends@31
Oh yeah, this isn't my website, so no one has to ask for my permission to change my sig. Hell, not like I pay the CAFORDS bill, so why should they need my permission to put what they want on their site? We're all guests here. Maybe some of us should start acting like guests or leave?

(510)375-1589

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com