Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » SN95 Problems

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: SN95 Problems
MustangNate
¯
Member # 4559

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for MustangNate  Ford pictures for MustangNate    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Okay, so I just bought this 1995 Mustang GT.
 -
It has 78,000 miles. Completely stock 5.0. AODE tranny.

So here are the problems that I'm having with it:

1) LACK OF POWER! The thing will not chirp the tires at all. Out of curiousity, I decided to power brake it and it just sat there and revved, wouldn't spin the tires. I have to push the go pedal down between 1/4 and 1/2 way just so it'll get up to speed at a decent rate.

Now, what could be causing this? The plugs, plug wires, cap n' rotor, coil are all new. The timing is set at 10* BTDC. This engine is clean, looks brand new. Any ideas?

2) The shifter, seems to have alot of play in it. When I have it in gear, I can movie it back and forth about 1/16th of an inch. When I put it in D I have to move it up a little to get it to "lock" so the shifter doesn't move.

--------------------
1989 Mustang LX Vert, 5.0 Auto

BOTIH8R
¯
Member # 7295

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BOTIH8R  Ford pictures for BOTIH8R  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
if that has a tv cable check the adjustment o;n it.
Posts: 1143 | From: sacramento | Registered: Dec 2006  |  :
MustangNate
¯
Member # 4559

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for MustangNate  Ford pictures for MustangNate    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I think these have some sort of sensor or something because it's electronically controlled. I just hope my tranny isn't going out.

--------------------
1989 Mustang LX Vert, 5.0 Auto

1bdpone
¯
Member # 6708

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1bdpone  Ford pictures for 1bdpone    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Clean your MAS. Use some elctrical contact cleaner and a Q-Tip. The wires are fragile, be careful.
Posts: 182 | From: Tri Valley | Registered: Apr 2006  |  :
asskickn88
¯
Member # 4957

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for asskickn88  Ford pictures for asskickn88    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I hate to burst your bubble but 94-5 GTs stock are turds and with an AOD its even worse. If you change the upper end of the motor, gears and converter then you should be happy. I know thats a lot but thats what it takes. My GF has a mostly stock 95 (has 3.55s and flows) and is still slow.... I just dont tell her that [Big Grin]

--------------------
Three 540 Bimmers and a 5.0 Explorer.... got a Ford back in the stable!

It's time for the country to do what Obama's own father did.
Abandon him.

Posts: 6069 | From: Rocklin, Ca | Registered: Oct 2004  |  :
92stangLX
¯
Member # 3252

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 92stangLX  Ford pictures for 92stangLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I would start by changing the fuel filter, adjusting the TPS voltage, and advancing the timing (try 12-14 degrees and back it off until it doesn't ping).

Here are a list of some basic mods you can do to next:

1. Remove air silencer and put in a K&N
2. Underdrive pulleys
3. Gears
4 tranny upgrades
5. Headers and H/X pipe
6. Cobra/TrickFlow/GT-40 intake and 65mm tb

Next step is to install H/C/I, a stroker, or a power adder.

Posts: 5302 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Sep 2003  |  :
87Fox916
¯
Member # 6399

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 87Fox916  Ford pictures for 87Fox916    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by MustangNate:
Okay, so I just bought this 1995 Mustang GT.
 -
It has 78,000 miles. Completely stock 5.0. AODE tranny.

So here are the problems that I'm having with it:

1) LACK OF POWER! The thing will not chirp the tires at all. Out of curiousity, I decided to power brake it and it just sat there and revved, wouldn't spin the tires. I have to push the go pedal down between 1/4 and 1/2 way just so it'll get up to speed at a decent rate.

Now, what could be causing this? The plugs, plug wires, cap n' rotor, coil are all new. The timing is set at 10* BTDC. This engine is clean, looks brand new. Any ideas?

2) The shifter, seems to have alot of play in it. When I have it in gear, I can movie it back and forth about 1/16th of an inch. When I put it in D I have to move it up a little to get it to "lock" so the shifter doesn't move.

I had this problem before and my 94 was running a 17 sec 1/4 mile. Replace the Mass Air Sensor with a new one. It fixed the problem and was easy to replace. It isn't cheap though.

--------------------
87 Mustang GT

Posts: 1652 | From: SACRAMENTO | Registered: Jan 2006  |  :
stangless
¯
Member # 1414

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for stangless  Ford pictures for stangless    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by asskickn88:
I hate to burst your bubble but 94-5 GTs stock are turds and with an AOD its even worse. If you change the upper end of the motor, gears and converter then you should be happy. I know thats a lot but thats what it takes. My GF has a mostly stock 95 (has 3.55s and flows) and is still slow.... I just dont tell her that [Big Grin]

they might be turds, but that's not the reason why he's having issues.
Something's wrong .. what, i dunno? [Razz]
My 95 gt would spin both tires at will, until the tranny started slipping [Razz] [burnout]

If you step on the gas from a 20 mph roll will the rpms just climb way up but the car won't really accelerate much? if so, then it's probably the tranny slipping.
Mine had the same issue. i fixed it by selling it [Razz]

Make sure you find the reason why you are having issues, before you start modding it. .
good luck

[ January 02, 2007, 09:01 PM: Message edited by: Jmir018 ]

--------------------
=(

94gt
¯
Member # 3060

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 94gt  Ford pictures for 94gt  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
when i 1st had my 94, it was swift, but not as fast as it should have been... I cleaned the MAF really well, and it was night and day. Assume that the previous owner didnt do the usual upkeep, get plugs, wires, dist cap, rotor, fuel filter, and a oil change.

--------------------
2020 Explorer ST
2011 Silver Raptor 'Screw

Posts: 5777 | From: Beavercreek, OH | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
Wildfire532FB
CAFords OG
Member # 1482

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wildfire532FB  Ford pictures for Wildfire532FB  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Put gears in it and exhuast and you'll spin the tires. My 95 breaks loss all the time with the mods i've done to it.

--------------------
./_ _ _ ___ __\
(]]]_ _ o _ _[[[)
|\_o_ __ __o_/|
|__|..........|__|
68 Fastback
84 CJ7
94 HMMWV
95 GT
03 F350
17 Fusion Hybrid

BUKSING
¯
Member # 6594

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BUKSING  Ford pictures for BUKSING    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
man mine is a stock 96 gt 4.6 auto 77k mi. and i can chirp 2nd gear all day long... that sucks
Fourd Man
¯
Member # 7348

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fourd Man  Ford pictures for Fourd Man    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
for sure get ur maf cleaned or replaced .When I had my 94 I had the exact same prob, Igot my maf cleaned and like homeboy said it was like day and night, It improved my accel dramaticly I even burned my clutch out two days after.
Posts: 22 | From: Northern Killla foolyya | Registered: Dec 2006  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com