Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » lowering a 68 mustang (cuting coils)?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: lowering a 68 mustang (cuting coils)?
68dustin
CAFords OG
Member # 5388

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 68dustin  Ford pictures for 68dustin    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i just put in some grab a track 620 coils and the car sits a little high in the front. my question is: if i cut the coils how much of a ride will i loose. the other question is how much should i take off if i want to lower it about an 1 inch to and 1 inch and a half? thanks dustin.

--------------------
"As I lay rubber down the street, I pray for traction that I can keep, and if I do begin to slide, please dear God protect me and my ride!"

Posts: 3986 | From: neverland | Registered: Feb 2005  |  :
Ty
¯
Member # 4920

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ty  Ford pictures for Ty  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
usually each coil you cut off equals about an inch of drop

--------------------
DRIVE FAST TAKE CHANCES
----------------------------
90 gt nothin special, just your average bolt ons...OUT TO PASTURE
69 fastback project car

68dustin
CAFords OG
Member # 5388

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 68dustin  Ford pictures for 68dustin    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
will i notice a big difference in the ride?

--------------------
"As I lay rubber down the street, I pray for traction that I can keep, and if I do begin to slide, please dear God protect me and my ride!"

SPEC -Fabrication
¯
Member # 4980

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SPEC -Fabrication  Ford pictures for SPEC -Fabrication    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 68dustin:
will i notice a big difference in the ride?

YES, exspecially a specific rate

--------------------
1999 Saleen#124
1997 Tahoe
2006 ZX636R
CWS certified welder

Posts: 1321 | From: drinkin BEER! | Registered: Oct 2004  |  :
v-town coupe
fordologist
Member # 2771

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for v-town coupe  Ford pictures for v-town coupe    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
when i was at maier racing the way he explained it to me was a coil spring has two ends a flat end and a end where the coil is un even . the un even end on ur coil would be the side that sits in the sprimg perch so u would basically pull the spring out of the car and turn it upside down .then u set it on flat ground and take a tape measure and measure to the highest point and that is the spring total height.now when u cut the spring do NOT use a cutting torch. and depending on how much u want to lower the car u cut half of that out of the coil for example if u want another inch lower u cut a half inch out of the coil. so u would take the tape measure. and follow the coil arond to the bottom it only coils one way like a bolt has thread and u follow the coil down till the tape measure stops at the desired cutting point. keep in mind at all time this is already a higher rate spring so it will already ride stiffer and its already shorter so making it too short u will no longer have any travel. and making a spring too short will not be safe cause if u hit a big enough pot hole or what not and the suspension releases too small of spring will actually move in the spring pockect causing the car to upset its self and u could end up wrecking. the guys at maier racingsad u should never ever cut a whole coil out of ur car and really u should never cut even a half coil out of ur car depending on application. and the lower u make ur car the more bumpsteer u will aquire. if u have a huge sway bar on the front it will also cause the front of ur car to sit higher a 1" bar more then good enough the 1 1/8 is not really needed. if u still cannot get the desired height u want with trimming the spring u may want to try the shelby control arm mod it will give u more negative camber which helps the tire from wearing funny and it will also lower the car an inch with the stock spring but will create ball joint bind which they make a kit to fix that . thats about it just call that suspension 101 for ur old school mustang ill pm u my number if u have any more questions or if u need me to explain not sure if i was clear. good luck
Posts: 4597 | From: the V-town | Registered: May 2003  |  :
Wildfire532FB
CAFords OG
Member # 1482

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wildfire532FB  Ford pictures for Wildfire532FB  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Why not getting some adjustable coil overs?

--------------------
./_ _ _ ___ __\
(]]]_ _ o _ _[[[)
|\_o_ __ __o_/|
|__|..........|__|
68 Fastback
84 CJ7
94 HMMWV
95 GT
03 F350
17 Fusion Hybrid

86BackInBlack
¯
Member # 5372

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 86BackInBlack  Ford pictures for 86BackInBlack    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
unless your trying to road race or just want the look of a lowered car, just leave it like it is. having the car sit higher in the front allows it to take off better in a straight line

--------------------
http://i.imgur.com/go1nj.gif

68dustin
CAFords OG
Member # 5388

thanks

--------------------

ntimid8
¯
Member # 1498

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for ntimid8  Ford pictures for ntimid8  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
We almost always cut an inch out of the spring at my shop to get the right look.
68dustin
CAFords OG
Member # 5388

thats what about need, an inch to an inch in a half. i tryed to use the clamps, but they are shit and look like shit. i have the mid eye leaf springs in the back so the back sits lower than the front. im not really worried about how stiff the ride is, but i dont want to cut too much off and cause any damage. im going to try cuttin off some tuesday.

--------------------

v-town coupe
fordologist
Member # 2771

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for v-town coupe  Ford pictures for v-town coupe    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 1968_Fastback:
Why not getting some adjustable coil overs?

no one makes adjustable coil overs for a stock application u have to get complete upper and lower control arms and the whole bit im thinking that hes on a budget.
Posts: 4597 | From: the V-town | Registered: May 2003  |  :
68dustin
CAFords OG
Member # 5388

yeah budget spent have a kid on the way... have to make due with what i have.
Fostang
¯
Member # 3752

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fostang  Ford pictures for Fostang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Just cut it and don't look back.

--------------------
67' Fastback TT 408
67' Camaro Lsx
64' Corvette Fuelie
57' Chevy Bel Air Lsx
68’ Pony Convertible
66’ Pony Coupe

Posts: 3011 | From: Stockton/Danville | Registered: Nov 2003  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com