Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Ford Racing MAF conversion Kit?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Ford Racing MAF conversion Kit?
PWR HNGRY 302
¯
Member # 6000

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for PWR HNGRY 302  Ford pictures for PWR HNGRY 302    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have a speed density 87 5.0 and want to convert over to maf, has anybody used this kit from Ford Racing ? Any good/bad experiences and also would i need anything else? Thanks.

--------------------
87 Fox- Restoration in progress
2014 Tacoma DCLB MGM
2017 Prius Prime (The Daily)

Posts: 2655 | From: SF Bay Area | Registered: Sep 2005  |  :
MustangNate
¯
Member # 4559

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for MustangNate  Ford pictures for MustangNate    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
That kit requires you to find a stock or aftermarket wiring harness for installation.

{insert plug}
The kit that I am selling is the same setup with one major exception, it comes with the necessary wiring for the installation.
{/plug}

--------------------
1989 Mustang LX Vert, 5.0 Auto

92stangLX
¯
Member # 3252

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 92stangLX  Ford pictures for 92stangLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
That kit is a lot of money. I would recommned buying the parts on here. You will save yourself a ton of money and end up with the same thing [patriot]
Posts: 5302 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Sep 2003  |  :
MustangNate
¯
Member # 4559

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for MustangNate  Ford pictures for MustangNate    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
{insert plug}
Mine is cheaper..hehehehe...
{/plug}

--------------------

Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
that price is rediculus, you can get a stock MAF for $20, an A9L computer for $80 tops, that plastic tube for $5.

and after buying that kit for $340 you'll still need to find a 1989 MAF engine harness to swap into your car to make it work...

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
50DADDY
CAFords OG
Member # 3076

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 50DADDY  Ford pictures for 50DADDY    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I can do the conversion using your current wiring harness.You just need a computer and an air meter.125.00......LMK.

--------------------
"Im not stupid,i just act that way so i dont make you dummies uncomfortable."

"Old age and treachery shall overcome youth and skill."

Posts: 4827 | From: Suckramento | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
MustangNate
¯
Member # 4559

quote:
Originally posted by Blind:
that price is rediculus, you can get a stock MAF for $20, an A9L computer for $80 tops, that plastic tube for $5.

and after buying that kit for $340 you'll still need to find a 1989 MAF engine harness to swap into your car to make it work...

Actually you don't need the 89 harness, because it's a simple 1 wire hookup. Takes all of 10 - 15 minutes to do the conversion. That includes the sit back and admire while drinking a beer time.

[ December 23, 2006, 09:36 PM: Message edited by: MustangNate ]

--------------------

modular
¯
Member # 6599

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for modular  Ford pictures for modular    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
1 wire? Air meters are 4 wire style and 5 wire style. How is it 1 wiring.

--------------------
I had no idea that so many people knew everything until I joined this site.
I was prolly drunk. Get over it
***BEWARE*** COP CALLERS! Eljefe-Adower!

Posts: 548 | From: sacramento | Registered: Mar 2006  |  :
HaulinAss Motorsports
Its a STREETRaceCar!
Member # 541

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for HaulinAss Motorsports  Ford pictures for HaulinAss Motorsports    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have the complete setup that includes the computer,mass air meter,map sensor,complete efi harness and all the rubber ducting and clamps from the intake to the airbox.

$195.00/all

408-420-3003

Posts: 22469 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Nov 2001  |  :
MustangNate
¯
Member # 4559

quote:
Originally posted by modular:

-

Look at the picture. 1 wire coming off the MAF to the computer. Yes it works because I was running it, this is the MAF conversion from Ford Racing.

--------------------

90lxfoxbody
¯
Member # 6947

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 90lxfoxbody  Ford pictures for 90lxfoxbody    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Okay this is a simple change over.....When you swap your ecu just ad 2 wires from the harness...I think its pin 26 and i cant remember the other one...I can go look if you need it...

MAF wiring
There are 4 wires that need to be run to the MAF, 2 signal wires and 2 power wires. If you do not have a prefabricated harness, you will have to come up with the MAF connector and two pins for the EEC-IV connector. The MAF can have two types of connectors on it, a 4 pin or a 5 pin connector. The pins are marked A B C D (E) on the MAF sensor. The chart below shows what wire needs to be connected to which pin number on the EEC connector:
4 pin 5 pin
MAF EEC-IV MAF EEC-IV
A 37 (power
B 40 or 60 (ground)
C 9 (signal return)
D 50 (signal)
what i did was run the power and ground wires right to the a/c relay under the mass.If not its really easy to get a key on power source and the ground is just a simple ground to the body....The sig wires just route in under the heater core and can be punched threw with a hanger then put in the correct pins of the ecu.
Very easy and straight forward...

Also you can use all stock parts on this swap or after market...Shit i got a maff plug from a mass tauras.It takes about 30 minutes to do the swap.....Then make sure you unhook the vac line to the old map and just leave it open and it will operate just like the late model ones....

--------------------
Owner Of All Out Performance
Ya I own that Cobra
Old setup whipple and jug 9.37 155
New twins hoping for 8.50s at 165

HaulinAss Motorsports
Its a STREETRaceCar!
Member # 541

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for HaulinAss Motorsports  Ford pictures for HaulinAss Motorsports    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by MustangNate:
quote:
Originally posted by modular:

-

Look at the picture. 1 wire coming off the MAF to the computer. Yes it works because I was running it, this is the MAF conversion from Ford Racing.

Yeah thats a killer setup.I have that one in my 86.It is a jumper deal that goes inbetween your computer and the factory harness.No wiring to do just a plug and play.BUT there are 4 wires within that lil harness [Wink]
Posts: 22469 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Nov 2001  |  :
90lxfoxbody
¯
Member # 6947

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 90lxfoxbody  Ford pictures for 90lxfoxbody    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Dont waste the money on something like that.Yes its easy to just plug it in but the way i told you to do it is a snap and really only takes about 30 minutes....Longest part is getting the wires threw the rubber bulk head in the firewall...Thats where the hanger comes into play.....

--------------------
Owner Of All Out Performance
Ya I own that Cobra
Old setup whipple and jug 9.37 155
New twins hoping for 8.50s at 165

PWR HNGRY 302
¯
Member # 6000

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for PWR HNGRY 302  Ford pictures for PWR HNGRY 302    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 50DADDY:
I can do the conversion using your current wiring harness.You just need a computer and an air meter.125.00......LMK.

You have a pm

--------------------
2014 Tacoma DCLB MGM

PWR HNGRY 302
¯
Member # 6000

quote:
Originally posted by 90lxfoxbody:
Dont waste the money on something like that.Yes its easy to just plug it in but the way i told you to do it is a snap and really only takes about 30 minutes....Longest part is getting the wires threw the rubber bulk head in the firewall...Thats where the hanger comes into play.....

Thanks for the info.

--------------------
2014 Tacoma DCLB MGM

50DADDY
CAFords OG
Member # 3076

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 50DADDY  Ford pictures for 50DADDY    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Look at the picture. 1 wire coming off the MAF to the computer. Yes it works because I was running it, this is the MAF conversion from Ford Racing. [/QB][/QUOTE]

HUH???????????
How in the.......... [Confused]

--------------------
"Im not stupid,i just act that way so i dont make you dummies uncomfortable."

"Old age and treachery shall overcome youth and skill."

Posts: 4827 | From: Suckramento | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com