Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Bogging and popping after driving 20 min.

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Bogging and popping after driving 20 min.
*BlueBeast88.306*
¯
Member # 6360

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for *BlueBeast88.306*  Ford pictures for *BlueBeast88.306*  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have a 306 with Performer intake,65mm t/b and spacer,73mm c&l w/24LB inj.,Trick Flow stage one cam, GT-40 alum. heads. I just recently took off my GT-40 intake and installed the Performer and ever since then I can't get to run right. I checked the codes, cleared them and drove it to see what came back. When I first start driving it, IT has crazy power, but after a while when I punch it, it boggs at around 3000 rpm, which is were me I cam usally kicks in. It at the same will pop alittle. The TPS code keeps coming back, but I checked the voltage and its all good at .99 at idle and 4.61 at WOT. Could it possibly be my computer, has anyone else had this problem. PLEASE HELP!

Thank you,
Justin
925-595-3317

GT302PONY
¯
Member # 6658

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for GT302PONY  Ford pictures for GT302PONY  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
is it mass air sensored it might be your mass air sensor ,vaccum leak,injectors might need cleaning
*BlueBeast88.306*
¯
Member # 6360

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for *BlueBeast88.306*  Ford pictures for *BlueBeast88.306*  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Injectors are clean, I do't believe there is a vaccuum leak. Coild the mass air be screwed up and not throw a code?
GT302PONY
¯
Member # 6658

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for GT302PONY  Ford pictures for GT302PONY  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
yes at work i worked on a 03 f 150 and i gave like 3 problem codes it was bogging and running ruff at idle and it said service engine soon all we did was change the mass air sensor and it its running like a champ
*BlueBeast88.306*
¯
Member # 6360

Alright thanks Bro I'll check that out. Its weird how it runs so good though for a short period of time then runs shitty, maybe its a heat induced problem.
925GT50
¯
Member # 2683

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 925GT50  Ford pictures for 925GT50  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by BlueBeast88.306:
Alright thanks Bro I'll check that out. Its weird how it runs so good though for a short period of time then runs shitty, maybe its a heat induced problem.

hey bro i seem to have the same problem as you. whats your timing set at?

--------------------
1990 GT hatch (owned since 05')
1988 GT (sold)
1995 SN95 Cobra (totaled/parted)
1995 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am LT1 (daily driver)

*BlueBeast88.306*
¯
Member # 6360

Okay, it did it again this morning and when I checked the codes there was nothing except a 67 neutral drive switch open or a/c or defroster is on, I don't have any of those items. I'm asuming thats not a threating code though. So what ever it is it does not throw a code. This freaking car is driving me completly nuts.

P.S. I backed my timing down to 18 btdc because of problem, it usually runs best a 20 btdc and yes that is base.

Sk8OnGlass
¯
Member # 6370

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sk8OnGlass  Ford pictures for Sk8OnGlass    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
mass air sensor

--------------------
First On Race Day
FORD
yup that's my stang in da pic

Posts: 533 | From: san Jose, CA. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  :
*BlueBeast88.306*
¯
Member # 6360

Thank you, I'll check that out.
*BlueBeast88.306*
¯
Member # 6360

I noticed today when I rev it hard the fuel preasure spikes up like it should then drops to 15 psi fast. I now see I must be dealing with a pimp or regulator issue, but in my past experience fuel pumps typically are all or nothing. Has anyone had a similar occurance. [Confused]
*BlueBeast88.306*
¯
Member # 6360

LOL, oops pump. I do not have a pimp related issue, but a typing one!
iceman302
¯
Member # 7180

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for iceman302  Ford pictures for iceman302    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I think it could be a bad regulator. I had one go bad once and the car would barely run. The diaphragm could be shot.

--------------------
'65 Mustang Fastback

Posts: 4171 | From: Rancho Murieta | Registered: Oct 2006  |  :
91 5.0 5speed
¯
Member # 1867

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 91 5.0 5speed  Ford pictures for 91 5.0 5speed    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
+1 on the mass air sensor
*BlueBeast88.306*
¯
Member # 6360

Mass air replaced.
92stangLX
¯
Member # 3252

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 92stangLX  Ford pictures for 92stangLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by BlueBeast88.306:
Mass air replaced.

Did that fix it? If you fuel pressure is dropping like you said then you could have issues with the regulator or the pump. What is your base pressure set at?
Posts: 5302 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Sep 2003  |  :
*BlueBeast88.306*
¯
Member # 6360

No, it did not fix it. I also put on my stock regulator to check if that was the problem. I am pretty sure it must be the pump or a connection to the pump, I am so Goddamn tired of dealing with this shit.
iceman302
¯
Member # 7180

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for iceman302  Ford pictures for iceman302    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You'll have to post up if it was the regulator. I want to know whether or not my armchair mechanic skills are still top notch.

--------------------
'65 Mustang Fastback

Posts: 4171 | From: Rancho Murieta | Registered: Oct 2006  |  :
*BlueBeast88.306*
¯
Member # 6360

Sorry. you were close but it was not the regulator. I almost possitive its the pump.
*BlueBeast88.306*
¯
Member # 6360

Ford Icon 7 posted      Profile for *BlueBeast88.306*  Ford pictures for *BlueBeast88.306*  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I changed the fuel pump today,double checked all connections and settings, and almost wrapped it on the test drive. Since I changed all the sensors and put in the new pump she is now making crazy power. THANK GOD, I was about set this thing on fire if I changed another part for nothing. Thanks everyone for your help and input and have a Merry Christmas or whatever holiday you observe.

Thank you,
Justin

[burnout] [burnout] [burnout]

getjobdone
¯
Member # 4666

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for getjobdone  Ford pictures for getjobdone    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I'm glad you fixed the issue. Could you tell us exactly all that you replaced as far as sensors?

I feel I'm experiencing a similar issue but mine pops out the exhaust and bogs/bucks when I get to 2500-3000 rpm.

--------------------
91 notch ^ blown h/c/i

Posts: 677 | From: east bay,ca | Registered: Jul 2004  |  :
*BlueBeast88.306*
¯
Member # 6360

Mass air, coolant temp sensor, TPS and intake temp sensor.

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com