Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » '84 T-5 vs. '89 T-5

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: '84 T-5 vs. '89 T-5
graylx
¯
Member # 3919

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for graylx  Ford pictures for graylx    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Hi,

Recently, the AOD transmission went out on my '89 LX 5.0. I want to do the 5-speed swap and have access to a T-5 from an '84 Mustang. I was wondering what the differences were between an '84 T-5 and a stock '89 T-5 and whether or not I could use the '84 T-5 for the swap?

Thanks...

--------------------
2012 Mustang GT
1989 Mustang LX 5.0 Notch
1995 Impala SS

ChrisS
¯
Member # 6699

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for ChrisS  Ford pictures for ChrisS    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i want to say that the 84 unit is a weaker piece, not 100% sure though
Posts: 632 | From: Dallas Texas | Registered: Apr 2006  |  :
Motorhead6T5
¯
Member # 4969

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Motorhead6T5  Ford pictures for Motorhead6T5    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
They gradualy beefed them up over the years. Not sure what the difference is between those 2 years though. The one you want if you are gonna run a bit of power would be the one that comes in the 91+ mustangs. I had a 1983 t5 in my 65 stang and it didn't last long but the "World class"(91+) has held up great so far. The 93 cobra t5 has a lower first gear,and is rated about 10 ft lbs less then a regular T5 worldclass.

But out of those 2 the 89 is what I would go with.

--------------------
65 Fastback
72 Malibu

FasterDamnit
Bad Attitude
Member # 442

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for FasterDamnit  Ford pictures for FasterDamnit  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/T5ID.htm

--------------------
'92 LX T5
Looked stock, went 11's 11.90 at 115mph.

'65 Mustang 347

www.fordmuscle.com

Livin' in the Carolina Pines

Motorhead6T5
¯
Member # 4969

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Motorhead6T5  Ford pictures for Motorhead6T5    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by FasterDamnit:

Wow that list is confusing me. I guess I got a motorsport 325ft lb in my 65 then. I thought it was the same thing in the 91+ stangs but I guess its not. I remember ford motorsport having a 310ft lb cobra trans with a lower first gear,and then mine which was the 325ft lb one with the taller fist gear and the closer 1st to second ratio.

--------------------
65 Fastback
72 Malibu

FasterDamnit
Bad Attitude
Member # 442

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for FasterDamnit  Ford pictures for FasterDamnit  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Motorhead6T5:
quote:

Wow that list is confusing me. I guess I got a motorsport 325ft lb in my 65 then. I thought it was the same thing in the 91+ stangs but I guess its not. I remember ford motorsport having a 310ft lb cobra trans with a lower first gear,and then mine which was the 325ft lb one with the taller fist gear and the closer 1st to second ratio.
What does the ID tag say? Did you buy it from Summit or some other vendor?
Motorhead6T5
¯
Member # 4969

quote:
quote:
quote:

What does the ID tag say? Did you buy it from Summit or some other vendor?
It was the t5 "worldclass" from ford motorsport. That I know for a fact. There is a 90% chance it came from summit.

--------------------
65 Fastback
72 Malibu

FasterDamnit
Bad Attitude
Member # 442

World Class was the name for all V8 T5's after '85. The Motorsport T5 was the 1352-249 (Borg-Warner ID)/ M-7003-Z (FMS ID). To increase the torque holding capability you have to decrease the numerical first gear. Check the chart and compare the 1st gear ratio w/ the torque ratings.

--------------------
'92 LX T5

'65 Mustang 347

www.fordmuscle.com

FasterDamnit
Bad Attitude
Member # 442

World Class was the name for all V8 T5's after '85. The Motorsport T5 was the 1352-249 (Borg-Warner ID)/ M-7003-Z (FMS ID). To increase the torque holding capability you have to decrease the numerical first gear. Check the chart and compare the 1st gear ratio w/ the torque ratings.

--------------------
'92 LX T5

'65 Mustang 347

www.fordmuscle.com

HaulinAss Motorsports
Its a STREETRaceCar!
Member # 541

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for HaulinAss Motorsports  Ford pictures for HaulinAss Motorsports    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
The 93 cobra t5 has a lower first gear,and is rated about 10 ft lbs less then a regular T5 worldclass

Actually the 91-up and the Cobra T-5 have the same 1st gear.Also you have that backwards the Cobra T-5 is rated at 10ft more.
Posts: 22469 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Nov 2001  |  :
HaulinAss Motorsports
Its a STREETRaceCar!
Member # 541

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for HaulinAss Motorsports  Ford pictures for HaulinAss Motorsports    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
BTW an answer to the original question is if its just a daily driver then yes the 84 trans will be just fine.If you plan on a lot of bolt ons and continuosly racing/getting on it,i'd say go with a stronger unit
HaulinAss Motorsports
Its a STREETRaceCar!
Member # 541

Here is the EASIEST way to figure out all teh specs and tag ID numbers of any T-5

-

[ December 11, 2006, 10:50 PM: Message edited by: HaulinAss Motorsports ]

Motorhead6T5
¯
Member # 4969

quote:
Originally posted by HaulinAss Motorsports:
quote:
The 93 cobra t5 has a lower first gear,and is rated about 10 ft lbs less then a regular T5 worldclass

Actually the 91-up and the Cobra T-5 have the same 1st gear.Also you have that backwards the Cobra T-5 is rated at 10ft more.
I thought mine was the same as 91+ but I guess its stronger than factory.

--------------------
65 Fastback
72 Malibu

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com