Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Broke a rocker stud.

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Broke a rocker stud.
SmokinLX
¯
Member # 1684

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SmokinLX  Ford pictures for SmokinLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Does anyone know what part # I would need for a replacement set of rocker stud's for a set of AFR 185's? I think they are 1/2 X 2 1/2 X 3/8's but I am not sure about the thread type? I will order them from summit if they have them in stock. Any help will be appreciated.

--------------------
Dont claim power if ya cant mile per hour. 10 second AOD

BlueOvalRacing
¯
Member # 1531

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlueOvalRacing  Ford pictures for BlueOvalRacing    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If just the last 3/8" or so broke off, you need to get the longer ones from a chevy application - I broke one stud also on my 185's using Comp Pro Magnum rockers (3/8" studs). Measure the studs you have and add 1/4 - 3/8 inch to the length to be safe.

Here's from AFR's site: ROCKER ARMS:
If you are using Comp. Cams 3/8 Pro Magnum rocker arms you will need to use a longer stud (AFR #6409) because of the thicker trunion on this rocker arm.

http://www.airflowresearch.com/sbf_install.php

SmokinLX
¯
Member # 1684

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SmokinLX  Ford pictures for SmokinLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Ok I will take that into consideration. I am using DSS rocker's. I changed My valvespring's with the head's on the car so I had to use the tool that thread's down on the rocker and it put alot of stress on the bolt's cause You have to pull down pretty hard to compress the spring's, so I think this may have contributed to this one letting go. I am going to change all of them now just to make sure it does'nt happen again soon.

--------------------

93PONY
Mr. Valve Events
Member # 60

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 93PONY  Ford pictures for 93PONY        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Might as well sell your rockers & upgrade to 7/16th.
3/8th studs are weaker than Pedistal mount setups.

--------------------
www.advancedenginedevelopment.com
SCT dealer
Dynotuning

(916)715-7569

Posts: 4265 | From: Fair Oaks, CA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  :
SmokinLX
¯
Member # 1684

quote:
Originally posted by 93PONY:
Might as well sell your rockers & upgrade to 7/16th.
3/8th studs are weaker than Pedistal mount setups.

Would they fit into the existing hole or would it need to be tapped out to accept the 7/16th?

--------------------

StreakMatt
¯
Member # 6257

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for StreakMatt  Ford pictures for StreakMatt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I knew it was something to do with your rockers Marc. What cylinder was it from? Sounds like you have a decision to make. Either go with the longer studs or like Shaun said, upgrade to the 7/16ths since they are overall stronger, but it would take alot more work to do it that way. I'm running the pedestal mount and haven't had a problem yet, but i'm definitely upgrading to 7/16ths stud mount eventually.

--------------------
Custom Blue '88 GT: Garage Built= MM&FF January 2012 Cover and Feature. Tuned by Bob Kurgan

Black '03 Cobra: 2.9 Whipple Tuned by Bob Kurgan

Posts: 1198 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Nov 2005  |  :
93PONY
Mr. Valve Events
Member # 60

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 93PONY  Ford pictures for 93PONY        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
7/16th will bolt right down. No modification to the heads neccessary.

The bottom of 3/8th & 7/16th studs are all 7/16th.

--------------------
www.advancedenginedevelopment.com
SCT dealer
Dynotuning

(916)715-7569

Posts: 4265 | From: Fair Oaks, CA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  :
SmokinLX
¯
Member # 1684

quote:
Originally posted by 93PONY:
7/16th will bolt right down. No modification to the heads neccessary.

The bottom of 3/8th & 7/16th studs are all 7/16th.

Thank's. I will consider it then. [patriot]

--------------------

getjobdone
¯
Member # 4666

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for getjobdone  Ford pictures for getjobdone    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i just broke the #6 intake stud on my 3/8" RRs on my AFR 165s. i ordered these from summit earlier this evening: ARP-134-7104

heres a link: http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=ARP%2D134%2D7104&N=700+0&autoview=sku

[ November 19, 2006, 06:48 AM: Message edited by: getjobdone ]

--------------------
91 notch ^ blown h/c/i

Posts: 677 | From: east bay,ca | Registered: Jul 2004  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com