Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » failed smog, high NOX see image -*UPDATE, PASSED*

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: failed smog, high NOX see image -*UPDATE, PASSED*
the walrus
¯
Member # 6010

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for the walrus  Ford pictures for the walrus    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Car is basically stock 5.0, 225,000 miles. Full tune up maybe 2 years ago, the last time I had to smog it. Timing at 10*, catted h-pipe, any thoughts?

Justin

-

[ November 16, 2006, 08:54 PM: Message edited by: the walrus ]

--------------------
1992 LX Hatch 13.9@99, sold and bought back after 11 years and restored.
1965 FFR Cobra (sold)
2003 Mach 1 (sold)
Moved from Sac, CA to SLC, UT

1FAST89GT
¯
Member # 5071

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1FAST89GT  Ford pictures for 1FAST89GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
warm that bitch up!
the walrus
¯
Member # 6010

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for the walrus  Ford pictures for the walrus    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Dude I was on the freeway in 3rd gear trying to get it hot. Smog place is right off the freeway. Maybe I need to clean up the EGR or something.

[Confused]

--------------------
1965 FFR Cobra (sold)
2003 Mach 1 (sold)

CornOil_&_Boost
¯
Member # 5888

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for CornOil_&_Boost  Ford pictures for CornOil_&_Boost    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by the walrus:
Dude I was on the freeway in 3rd gear trying to get it hot. Smog place is right off the freeway. Maybe I need to clean up the EGR or something.

[Confused]

EGr would affect more on the HC side....more than likely a cat clogged or just needs to get hotter....

--------------------
https://www.facebook.com/pushrodpoweredmustangs
'95 Cobra - small engine / small turbo -
'02 Excursion 7.3 - tow vehicle
'14 - Chevy Volt - DD

iceman302
¯
Member # 7180

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for iceman302  Ford pictures for iceman302    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Do you have an adjustable fuel pressure regulator? High NOX is usually a lean condition. I'd take the fuel pressure up a couple pounds. If not, I'd try running a tank of "Guaranteed to Pass". You should be able to find it in the fuel additives section at the local parts store. I think it's a green container/box. The car didn't miss by much so it won't take much to get it to pass.

--------------------
'65 Mustang Fastback

Posts: 4171 | From: Rancho Murieta | Registered: Oct 2006  |  :
88DroptopGT
¯
Member # 2535

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 88DroptopGT  Ford pictures for 88DroptopGT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The 2 year old tune up seems like the culprit for me. Believe it or not, a tune up goes a long way!

Check your spark plugs if they're fouled up or not.

forced331
¯
Member # 1270

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for forced331  Ford pictures for forced331    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
High nox is from running too lean. Change the plugs with stock coppers, and check to see if the cats are clogged.

--------------------
1992 Ford Mustang LX (Original Owner)"Titanium Frost" 331stroker S-Trim, 5spd

2014 Ford Mustang GT- daily driver

Posts: 1154 | From: Sonoma County | Registered: May 2002  |  :
89goose
¯
Member # 7196

Ford Icon 5 posted      Profile for 89goose  Ford pictures for 89goose        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i just got my 50 smogged last week and it didnt pass either .....on the side you have highlighted....my numbers were hella high too- the guy told me that was because of a bad EGR - the fist section on that smog sheet - i didnt pass either- he said that was because it needed a tune-up.
i havent put the new parts in yet- i will this weekend and try it again- ill post my results when i get them- if you get it to pass- can you post what the casue was ??
thanks

the walrus
¯
Member # 6010

***UPDATE: PASSED***

NOx came down 400 ppm on the 15 mph test. Here is what I did:
-put stock intake on (had Mac CAI on before)
-put on a different EGR that I had laying around.
-discovered rear tires were at only 20 psi(doh!), inflated to 40 psi just for the test for less rolling resistance
-oil change
-drove 2 miles on the freeway in 3rd/4th gear, tried to get the cats super hot.

Well, not sure exactly what it was but something worked:

-

Thanks for all the tips.

Justin

--------------------
1965 FFR Cobra (sold)
2003 Mach 1 (sold)

wikaweez
¯
Member # 7171

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for wikaweez  Ford pictures for wikaweez    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Congrats bra! I know what you were going thru... lol
Posts: 108 | From: From Da Bay to SAC/Elk G. | Registered: Oct 2006  |  :
925five.0
¯
Member # 3292

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 925five.0  Ford pictures for 925five.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i just failed smog today due to high hc's. its on a 88 cadillac btw. i am going to change the plugs and go from there.

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com