Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Wheel question: offset VS. backspacing?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Wheel question: offset VS. backspacing?
iceman302
¯
Member # 7180

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for iceman302  Ford pictures for iceman302    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I just ordered some 17x9 Bullit reproduction wheels for my 5 lug conversion I'm doing on my '92 LX. I'm using '94/'95 spindles and then all the rest is typical SN95 stuff.

My question is this: when I ordered the wheels, they told me that they were a +24mm offset which translates into about 1.4mm less than an inch, so that would be about an inch from the wheel center at 4.5" which equals 5.5" of backspacing and not the 5.95" that others tell me a +24mm offset equates to. What's the deal? Am I calculating it incorrectly? I'm concerned b/c the wheels will be a tight fit @ 5.95" and won't work @ 5.5" so someone please clarify. Thanks.

--------------------
'65 Mustang Fastback

Posts: 4171 | From: Rancho Murieta | Registered: Oct 2006  |  :
racercosmo
¯
Member # 1864

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for racercosmo  Ford pictures for racercosmo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Offset is the offset from the center of the wheel. so yes, 24 is just under an inch and you would think that the backspace is roughly 5.5". Backspace is the distance from the hub to the outer rim of the wheel, which is about 1/2" more.
If you ever measure your wheels outside to outside, you will notice that a 9" wheel is really about 10" total width. 9" is the measurement inside where the tire bead sits.

--------------------
Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder

iceman302
¯
Member # 7180

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for iceman302  Ford pictures for iceman302    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by racercosmo:
Offset is the offset from the center of the wheel. so yes, 24 is just under an inch and you would think that the backspace is roughly 5.5". Backspace is the distance from the hub to the outer rim of the wheel, which is about 1/2" more.
If you ever measure your wheels outside to outside, you will notice that a 9" wheel is really about 10" total width. 9" is the measurement inside where the tire bead sits.

Thanks for the clarification. I was more than a bit confused, but after hearing your explanation it makes perfect sense. I knew that backspacing measured all the way out to the edge of the wheel, but the I was getting mixed up by using the center of the wheel as a reference point.

--------------------
'65 Mustang Fastback

Luke87GT
Lay'n more stripes
than Caltrans
Member # 21

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Luke87GT  Ford pictures for Luke87GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
racecosmo is exactly right.

Your 9 inch wheel really measures 10inches from lip to lip and you have to account for that. Most Ford rims have 1/2" of lip on each side of the rim. Thus:

centerline: 10/2 = 5"

offset 24mm = 0.95"

Backspacing = centerline + offset = 5.95"

Good luck!

--------------------
Stangless

Posts: 7802 | From: San Mateo | Registered: Jul 2000  |  :
iceman302
¯
Member # 7180

quote:
Originally posted by Luke87GT:

Your 9 inch wheel really measures 10inches from lip to lip and you have to account for that. Most Ford rims have 1/2" of lip on each side of the rim. Thus:

offset 24mm = 0.95"

Good luck!

It's even easier to see it when you put it like that. I wonder why nobody at any of the wheel distributors (including the Tirerack) could explain that one to me. Thanks.

--------------------
'65 Mustang Fastback

CLEEN 50
CAFords OG
Member # 5867

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for CLEEN 50  Ford pictures for CLEEN 50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Luke87GT:

offset 24mm = 0.95"

Good luck!

Very good explanation [patriot] .

--------------------
91 GT
(cafords reg date: 6/02)

Posts: 2534 | From: Peninsula | Registered: Jul 2005  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com