Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Can these wheels be used on the street?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Can these wheels be used on the street?
hidnn.o.s.
¯
Member # 1219

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for hidnn.o.s.  Ford pictures for hidnn.o.s.        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I ask because when I called the person at Weld said not to even drive my car the 25 miles each way from the track n back, that they were for straight down the track and that's all. I've looked at other listing for Weld like the typical ones with many holes etc and they do not say that. Any help is appreciated.

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=WLD%2D788%2D1704204&N=700+4294923105+4294793320+4294906456+115&autoview=sku

"They are designed for drag race applications only, and are not legal for street use."

[ November 05, 2006, 09:25 PM: Message edited by: hidnn.o.s. ]

--------------------
R.I.P. Willie G. You are missed on this forum

JohnB
Tech Moderator
Member # 969

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JohnB  Ford pictures for JohnB    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I'm going to lean towards no. The primary design/function of those wheels is weight reduction. Unfortunately, this compromises the integrity of the wheel and is potentially dangerous. I'd pass on them, unless you reaaaaaally wanna pad Weld's pockets. They need it right now! [Big Grin]

--------------------
1965 Shelby Cobra
1993 Cobra
2012 F150 Raptor
2020 GT500

Posts: 6523 | From: Orlando FL/Redding CA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :
hidnn.o.s.
¯
Member # 1219

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for hidnn.o.s.  Ford pictures for hidnn.o.s.        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I'm wanting to put the DR's on the back and something skinny upfront. ONLY put them on for Wednesday events and remove them Thursday etc. Same suggestion? Technically I'd be padding American Racing's wallet [Wink]

I am wanting to drive to and from the track, the guy on the phone said even though that's what I'm wanting he does not suggest using them for that.

--------------------

JohnB
Tech Moderator
Member # 969

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JohnB  Ford pictures for JohnB    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If that is there ONLY use, I say go for it. I would not do any extended street driving nor hard cornering.

--------------------
1965 Shelby Cobra
1993 Cobra
2012 F150 Raptor
2020 GT500

hidnn.o.s.
¯
Member # 1219

I will not do ANY hard cornering with them. Just drive to and from the track. Do you really think they're safe for that John? I really do want those on the 06, but want to make sure they'll be safe. Again, it's backroads to and from the track. There are turns through Sonoma, but none that I'd take aggresively. Only 4.5" wheels on the front.

--------------------

SmokinLX
¯
Member # 1684

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SmokinLX  Ford pictures for SmokinLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If You just cruise to the track and back they would be fine. They probably just don't trust most people who say they won'd get crazy with em on the street. They have to expect moderate cornering if You can drive them on the return road's and turning off at the end of the 1/4.

--------------------
Dont claim power if ya cant mile per hour. 10 second AOD

JohnB
Tech Moderator
Member # 969

I'd use them. The disclaimer from the maker is to keep folks from using them on daily drivers. I've driven that route from your place quite a few times, it's nothing crazy. Keep the driving sane, you'll be just fine.

--------------------
1965 Shelby Cobra
1993 Cobra
2012 F150 Raptor
2020 GT500

hidnn.o.s.
¯
Member # 1219

I CANNOT WAIT TO SEE THE STANCE WITH THESE ON MY 06 [patriot]

Thank you two for your input!

--------------------

TRIXSNK
¯
Member # 2844

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for TRIXSNK  Ford pictures for TRIXSNK    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I've been contemplating what skinny rim to go on the Cobra and have seen a few other Cobra owners with these Alumistars on them and they look very nice.

I know they do the same thing you plan on driving to and from the track and haven't heard any probs.

Since they are fairly light and not too wide why not just bolt them up there? Just another thought...but then again i'm not sure how safe it would be to just leave them at Infineon.

--------------------
9 Sec EVO 9 is GONE!

New project in the works.......

hidnn.o.s.
¯
Member # 1219

quote:
Originally posted by TRIXSNK:
not sure how safe it would be to just leave them at Infineon.

EXACTLY, I'm not dealing with on/off at the track.

--------------------

166 Merlo
FELONY
MOTORSPORTS
Member # 1549

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 166 Merlo  Ford pictures for 166 Merlo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
that's what the tires is for to absorb all the bumps [burnout]

--------------------
'89 - Boss Coupe
'70 - Drop Cutthang
'68 - Cougnut
'87 - 0166, Its real

cvr 5.0
¯
Member # 2962

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for cvr 5.0  Ford pictures for cvr 5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i some times drive on the street with my Center Line Wheels Terminator Series 15 x 4in in front and 15 x 8in in back... it is fine if you do not drive like a nut.. [burnout]

--------------------
-89 MUSTANG 5.0 lx vert (sold as of 2-10-08 for $8K)
-Ford F-100 with blown chevy 502
2004.5 dodge ram, 500hp and 1100tq
-84 yoda on 39s

Posts: 977 | From: Fremont ,ca | Registered: Jun 2003  |  :
66 AC COBRA
Nitrous King
Member # 904

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 66 AC COBRA  Ford pictures for 66 AC COBRA    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
what's going to kill the rims is pot holes, one good california pothole and you are the proud owner of oval wheels

other than that they should be fine

--------------------
FFR AC Cobra
72 Vega - WCHRA Extreme 10.5

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com