Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » SMOG HELP!!!

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: SMOG HELP!!!
wikaweez
¯
Member # 7171

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for wikaweez  Ford pictures for wikaweez    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I just got back from getting my SMOG and I failed at 25 mph. Also, since I didn't have the stock four cats installed and a screw was in a valve used as a plug.

Due the somg rules the 88gt need four cats which they failed me on. Also, the setup I have right now are on Magnaflow-h-pipe w\2 chamber dumps.

I was toild be a friend since the readings below are high during 25mph I need to have my 02's changed. Also, where does the second hose plug into?

CO % NOx (PPM)
15 MPH MAX AVE MEAS MAX AVE MEAS
0.76 0.10 0.00 807 237 14

25 MPH MAX AVE MEAS MAX AVE MEAS
0.65 0.09 0.93 746 199 17

HC (PPM)
15MPH MAX AVE MEAS
121 31 10

25MPH MAX AVE MEAS
14.30 20 53

C02
15mph Meas (15.50)
25mph (14.30)

15mph (0.09)
25mph (0.02)

Thanks in advanced

Posts: 108 | From: From Da Bay to SAC/Elk G. | Registered: Oct 2006  |  :
wikaweez
¯
Member # 7171

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for wikaweez  Ford pictures for wikaweez    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
passed at 15mph and failed at 25mph

thanks..

wikaweez
¯
Member # 7171

Just to clarigy I have a 2cats in 1 magnaflow h-pipe w\2 chamber flows.. Should I replace the stock h-pipe?

thanks.

CornOil_&_Boost
¯
Member # 5888

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for CornOil_&_Boost  Ford pictures for CornOil_&_Boost    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by wikaweez:
Just to clarigy I have a 2cats in 1 magnaflow h-pipe w\2 chamber flows.. Should I replace the stock h-pipe?

thanks.

it's kind of tough to say...

the B.A.R. says that you need to have cats there....it does not say you have to have 4.

some shops are super strict about it because they are afraid that you HAVE to have 4 cats...

the truth is that you only need 2 to pass....as long as they are there...it'll pass....

also...since you high speed test failed..it IS most likely the O2 sensors and possibly a vacuum leak of some sorts....

but more than likely o2's...just replace them and you should pass fine.....go to a different shop though...because ALL smog techs just learn to check to see if cats are there...if they go into the whole computer system and check something like ALLDATA..you could be failed but more than likely most shops will pass you once they see the cats there...

--------------------
https://www.facebook.com/pushrodpoweredmustangs
'95 Cobra - small engine / small turbo -
'02 Excursion 7.3 - tow vehicle
'14 - Chevy Volt - DD

bunchmyfunky
CAFords Drag Racing Mod
Member # 360

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for bunchmyfunky  Ford pictures for bunchmyfunky    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Don't just go and replace your O2's. I failed the 25mph my NOX was in the 800s, turned out to be a bad cat. If I were you I would put the stock H-pipe back on and try again. If it fails I would then take it to a smog shop that does diagnostic's pay the $80 bucks and they will tell you what is wrong. Otherwise you will be throwing a bunch of money blindly into it. Just an FYI I had a non OEM aftermarket cat on that went bad.

--------------------
01 GT 5spd

1.76 12.79@105.49

Posts: 2433 | From: Vacaville | Registered: Jul 2001  |  :
wikaweez
¯
Member # 7171

Thanks.

Also, i noticed that on line connected to the fuel rail is cut in half and plugged and they said my coolany hose is disconnected. I just checked today and he must have been smokin crack. lol Do you know what size is this hose? Both end are cut in the middle and plugged. I am not sure if the last guy used a fule hose becasue is has white letter marking indication fuel. I need to swap this hose out and changed the oil, clean the intake . Hopefully this should do it. Unless I should install my stock 4 cat h'er I bought here in CAF.

Thanks for the info.

wikaweez
¯
Member # 7171

Man rather than buying 4 new cats for the stock I went to a shop out here in sac that had the Magnaflow cat back and kept my 2 chambers dumped on. I just wnet to the wrong shop due to the fact I even failed visually. lol This mark ass even showed me the SMOG bible indicating I need 4 cats. lol

Yeah! I will swap out my 02's and place the stock h-pipe on. On the last note do these o2's come stock the short wire or the long wire? Which one do I buy? Kragen had 2 o2's with a short fuse and a long fuse.

Thanks Man..

adower
¯
Member # 5955

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for adower  Ford pictures for adower    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
U can pickup a stock h pipe with 4 cats for like 40$...

--------------------
98 Cobra
Griggs
S Trim
HRE

wikaweez
¯
Member # 7171

Thanks! I bought one from svt3773 and decied to use the magnaflows which the smog center denied. lol. I' be swapping out h's before i head out.

thanks

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com