Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » 31 spline axles

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: 31 spline axles
Ty
¯
Member # 4920

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ty  Ford pictures for Ty  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
ok so the time has come for me to put a new rear end in my car. basically i wanna go with a locker of some sort but im not sure which one yet. i noticed that there arent alot of applications for the 28 spline, only the 31. so why exactly are the 31 slpines better and what does everyone recoommend

--------------------
DRIVE FAST TAKE CHANCES
----------------------------
90 gt nothin special, just your average bolt ons...OUT TO PASTURE
69 fastback project car

uncle bill
¯
Member # 3953

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for uncle bill  Ford pictures for uncle bill  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
the 31s well take more abuse, go with the detroit locker
stangless
¯
Member # 1414

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for stangless  Ford pictures for stangless    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
what's up man..
is this for your 50? do you think you'll have enough power to make it worth the $$$.. it get's pretty expensive to swap axles including all the other parts..
Might wanna put that money on other mods first.. dunno.. just my opinion.
I was looking into getting 31 spline axles also.. not becuase i have a high hp car cause i don't. Mine is almost stock.. but because i dump them at 4-5k regularly and didn't want to break the stockers.. after figuring out how much it would be, i just decided to take my chances with the stock ones.
good luck

--------------------
=(

91Trunkster
¯
Member # 6598

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 91Trunkster  Ford pictures for 91Trunkster    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The 31's are stronger and I would recommend you upgrade them once you go in as it would be costly to do the same job twice if you ever need to upgrade in the future, other than a locker you can look at an Explorer 31 Spline TracLoc, go with a nice set of 31 spline axles and whatever gears you want and a rebuild kit, also it would be a good time to convert to 5 Lug.

--------------------
Yellow94GT never touched anyone's sig or banned anyone, so I'm going to quit spreading that rumor. It's not like I have any proof anyways. All yellow94gt and other mods have done is volunteer their time to help other people buy/sell parts, learn how to make their cars go faster and meet fellow enthusiasts. I'm a hater, but it's hard to hate on these facts. I have saved hunrdeds, maybe thousands of dollars here buying and selling parts over the years alone, but I don't care, this website owes me damnit, and I'll piss on it as much as I want. Us haters gonna hate. Why contribute to something when you can take for free?
I act like I'm@Age15
I make friends on the internet that are@Age18
I was picked on in my youth so I became a bully@Age24
My mouth started to run 24/7 on the internet, but my car never at the track@Age26
First pubic hair@Age30
Troll@Age31
My internet friends and I ALL just got the boot for good!@Age31
Yes, you read it right, 31 and just as childish as my fresh out of highschool internet friends@31
Oh yeah, this isn't my website, so no one has to ask for my permission to change my sig. Hell, not like I pay the CAFORDS bill, so why should they need my permission to put what they want on their site? We're all guests here. Maybe some of us should start acting like guests or leave?

(510)375-1589

Ty
¯
Member # 4920

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ty  Ford pictures for Ty  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Jmir018:
what's up man..
is this for your 50? do you think you'll have enough power to make it worth the $$$.. it get's pretty expensive to swap axles including all the other parts..
Might wanna put that money on other mods first.. dunno.. just my opinion.
I was looking into getting 31 spline axles also.. not becuase i have a high hp car cause i don't. Mine is almost stock.. but because i dump them at 4-5k regularly and didn't want to break the stockers.. after figuring out how much it would be, i just decided to take my chances with the stock ones.
good luck

yea its for the 5.0, the only reason i ask this is because im tired of having a posi that decides when it wants to work and it keeps costin me every wed nite in thelater rounds.

--------------------
DRIVE FAST TAKE CHANCES
----------------------------
90 gt nothin special, just your average bolt ons...OUT TO PASTURE
69 fastback project car

1Sicgt
CAFords OG
Member # 714

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1Sicgt  Ford pictures for 1Sicgt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If on a budget grab a track loc from an F150. Otherwise for good drivability on the street as well as at the track, look into a worm drive. Detroit Locker has a sister company called Detroit True-Trac. They make one of the best.

--------------------
14 Focus TS ST3 full Stg3, ready for bigger Turbo
2003 Cobra Track Car

Posts: 8145 | From: Hitting the Apex | Registered: Jan 2002  |  :
bunchmyfunky
CAFords Drag Racing Mod
Member # 360

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for bunchmyfunky  Ford pictures for bunchmyfunky    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I run an 03 Cobra Trac-Loc with 31 spline Mosers in my GT. I bought the Trac-Loc off of ebay and then had it rebuilt. Works great. There are a few others on the site that run this setup also.

--------------------
01 GT 5spd

1.76 12.79@105.49

Posts: 2433 | From: Vacaville | Registered: Jul 2001  |  :
Mr.Smith
Member # 7119

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr.Smith  Ford pictures for Mr.Smith    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
V-Town...it sounds like you need to have the posi rebuilt...it should fix your traction problem...
SF Coupe
¯
Member # 1810

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SF Coupe  Ford pictures for SF Coupe    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I just installed a rebuilt 31 spline ford trac lok with moser axles. I haven't run it yet but that setup was recommended by a lot of folks.
phil a
¯
Member # 6951

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for phil a  Ford pictures for phil a    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
the more splines the stronger, just like a fine-thread screw is stronger than a coarse-thread of the same material and diameter - more area to spread the load over
Posts: 1261 | From: toledo oh | Registered: Jul 2006  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com