Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » cometic head gasket question and more

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: cometic head gasket question and more
street_illegal_stang
¯
Member # 1554

Ford Icon 5 posted      Profile for street_illegal_stang  Ford pictures for street_illegal_stang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I bought a set online and the seller told me
"there fitted for a std 4.0 bore"
he gave me 4.03" p/no 5511-040...
will they work okay on a stock bore ?
also do you use any kind of copper coat for the water jacket adhesive?i've seen it installed dry
before but just wanna get a few ideas.
torque spec for arp nuts on 7/16 head studs with iron heads?
thanks [dance]

[ October 04, 2006, 11:24 PM: Message edited by: street_illegal_stang ]

Posts: 1276 | From: Long Beach C.A | Registered: Jul 2002  |  :
Quick 88LX
¯
Member # 1950

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Quick 88LX  Ford pictures for Quick 88LX  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Your bore size should be, if standard, 4.100in. So, to answer your first question, buy the correct size because it is too small.

Secondly, you need no sealant for the headgaskets. My felpros are installed dry and run 10.5 compression with a standard cooling system and do not leak at all. The correct gasket will seal fine, dry.

Lastly, you need to tighten the heads in the correct sequence AND the correct lbs/ft per instructions via manufacturer of the HEADS.

ARP studs can be tightened down way more than the heads can take, so you MUST tighten them down according to the specifications published by the manufacturer.

--------------------
"Men are Made, Not Born"
Car Picture : http://www.angelfire.com/theforce/quick88lx/
Original Member #495. Can I get my number back?

Posts: 1784 | From: Fairfield, CA/Okinawa, Japan | Registered: Oct 2002  |  :
jph331
¯
Member # 665

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for jph331  Ford pictures for jph331    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The head gasket will work fine with a stock bore. The thing with cometic gaskets is the block and head must have a surface finish of 50 RA (roughness average) or finer. That is a mirror finish basically. I spray mine with hylmar sealer or copper coat before assembly.
street_illegal_stang
¯
Member # 1554

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for street_illegal_stang  Ford pictures for street_illegal_stang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quick88lx,standard 4.0" 302 bore. :confused:4.1?

i agree dry with felpro
but MLS gasket? i'm thinkin dry also.
----

i've already lapped the deak with 600 grit wet/dry.should i step it up to 1000?

thanks.

[ October 05, 2006, 12:22 AM: Message edited by: street_illegal_stang ]

Posts: 1276 | From: Long Beach C.A | Registered: Jul 2002  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com