Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » what suspension

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: what suspension
1sick65
¯
Member # 3957

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1sick65  Ford pictures for 1sick65    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i need new shocks, struts and springs. i dont know what to go with for a daily driven car that will see the track occasionally. i was thinking either a full set of GR-2's with eibach sportlines or going with the tokico gas shocks and springs. any ideas?-Nick
Posts: 1457 | From: Sacramento,CA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  :
poisonpony96
¯
Member # 3942

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for poisonpony96  Ford pictures for poisonpony96    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
call Maximum motorsport. Great people to talk to very help full! got all my suspension from them.
1SiCV8
¯
Member # 4224

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1SiCV8  Ford pictures for 1SiCV8  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I'm on the same boat as you. I heard that the GR-2's arent so great. I have the sportline and plan on getting the Tokico's adjustables.
I don't know why but everyone tells me to get the adjustables.

Let me know what you end up with in the end and how it works out for you.

Posts: 123 | From: GreaterBayArea | Registered: Mar 2004  |  :
2BlueGeeTees
¯
Member # 4702

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2BlueGeeTees  Ford pictures for 2BlueGeeTees    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
adjustables are the way to go. you will be able to set it up for "track use" with the turn of a dial and then return to a mor street friendly setup afterwards. maximum motorsports, qa1 and strange engineering all make really good adjustables that would work well for that use. i would replace the upper and lower control arms too wile you are down there. [Wink]
Posts: 2316 | From: Vacaville | Registered: Jul 2004  |  :
1FAST89GT
¯
Member # 5071

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1FAST89GT  Ford pictures for 1FAST89GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
billstein is the way to go
two-gun kid2
¯
Member # 5891

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for two-gun kid2  Ford pictures for two-gun kid2    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 1SiCV8:
I'm on the same boat as you. I heard that the GR-2's arent so great. I have the sportline and plan on getting the Tokico's adjustables.

you gonna get adjustables and you dont even know why? [Eek!]
Posts: 5566 | From: Hayward,Ca | Registered: Jul 2005  |  :
92stangLX
¯
Member # 3252

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 92stangLX  Ford pictures for 92stangLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by two-gun kid:
quote:
Originally posted by 1SiCV8:

you gonna get adjustables and you dont even know why? [Eek!]
If it's just a street car than adjustables are not needed IMO. If you plan on getting some track time in (like road racing) as well as street driving then you may want adjustables.
Posts: 5302 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Sep 2003  |  :
First Place Performance
¯
Member # 6277

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for First Place Performance  Ford pictures for First Place Performance  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Adjustables are also good for drag racing too. I would stay away from the KYB line, they aren't the best, but for OE or little better then OE, they are ok. Tokico makes a much better shock/strut. I would recomend them over the KYB's anyday.

--------------------
First Place Performance, LTD.
www.fppauto.com
Your One Stop Shop For EVERYTHING Automotive!

Posts: 66 | From: Patterson, CA or Las Vegas, NV. | Registered: Dec 2005  |  :
BUKSING
¯
Member # 6594

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BUKSING  Ford pictures for BUKSING    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by First Place Performance:
Adjustables are also good for drag racing too. I would stay away from the KYB line, they aren't the best, but for OE or little better then OE, they are ok. Tokico makes a much better shock/strut. I would recomend them over the KYB's anyday.

how and why are tokicos better than kyb's...i seen that said before but i was just wondering cause it was never explained.
two-gun kid2
¯
Member # 5891

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for two-gun kid2  Ford pictures for two-gun kid2    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by BUKSING:
quote:
Originally posted by First Place Performance:

how and why are tokicos better than kyb's...i seen that said before but i was just wondering cause it was never explained.
kyb's are somewhat the bottom of the barrel struts/shocks out there they are basicly senseetracks(kragen struts/shocks) tokicos will last longer and take the abuse better than the kyb's
Posts: 5566 | From: Hayward,Ca | Registered: Jul 2005  |  :
poisonpony96
¯
Member # 3942

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for poisonpony96  Ford pictures for poisonpony96    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
when i talked to the guys at MM the turned me away from adjustables because you need to have the right setup for the spring. I have the sport valved bilstien with 400 lbs coilover springs with that shock I can only got with 350-400lbs spring otherwise the suspension wont work together. you need to know what you are doing. when you have adjustables
I Fear No Five O
¯
Member # 5185

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for I Fear No Five O  Ford pictures for I Fear No Five O    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 1FAST89GT:
billstein is the way to go

+1 [patriot]

--------------------
"Haha, he's joking...It feels SO good when he jokes!" - Vince Vaughn, Wedding Crashers

racercosmo
¯
Member # 1864

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for racercosmo  Ford pictures for racercosmo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by poisonpony96:
when i talked to the guys at MM the turned me away from adjustables because you need to have the right setup for the spring. I have the sport valved bilstien with 400 lbs coilover springs with that shock I can only got with 350-400lbs spring otherwise the suspension wont work together. you need to know what you are doing. when you have adjustables

Whoever you spoke to probably misunderstood the engineer's explanation. To say that one spring rate has only one damping value is wrong. Depending on the racetrack, you may run similar spring rates, but the car might need less bump damping, and more rebound damping than another track.
They make a very good product, so I would hope that Maximum Motorsports doesn't tout that line because they sell non adjustable dampers.

--------------------
Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder

poisonpony96
¯
Member # 3942

quote:
Originally posted by racercosmo:
quote:

Whoever you spoke to probably misunderstood the engineer's explanation. To say that one spring rate has only one damping value is wrong. Depending on the racetrack, you may run similar spring rates, but the car might need less bump damping, and more rebound damping than another track.
They make a very good product, so I would hope that Maximum Motorsports doesn't tout that line because they sell non adjustable dampers.

they said it was easier to go non adjustable. I wouldn't have to dial it in. it would just be ready go.
poisonpony96
¯
Member # 3942

I guess I'm just a dee deedee. Don't listen to anything I said.
racercosmo
¯
Member # 1864

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for racercosmo  Ford pictures for racercosmo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
they said it was easier to go non adjustable. I wouldn't have to dial it in. it would just be ready go.

That makes sense and I agree to a point.

--------------------

poisonpony96
¯
Member # 3942

quote:
quote:

What point? please more info. I always want to learn more to make my car better.
racercosmo
¯
Member # 1864

quote:
quote:
quote:

What point? please more info. I always want to learn more to make my car better.
For a novice, not being able to adjust damper settings can be a benefit. If you start playing around with things and don't know what you're doing, you can make the car do bad things and not know why your car isn't handling properly. As you progress, it does help to try different adjustments on purpose to get a better idea of what is happening with the car.

--------------------

poisonpony96
¯
Member # 3942

Thanks!
RED@7kVERT *8850GT*
¯
Member # 5909

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for RED@7kVERT *8850GT*  Ford pictures for RED@7kVERT *8850GT*    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The tockico blue shock and spring kit off ebay for like $360...and the blue oval ind. control arm kit for like $150...this is the best route as far as "bang for the buck" is concerned......IMO. Nothing is adjustable, its all plug n play if you will.....and they all work very well for the price you will pay.....

[ October 09, 2006, 12:07 AM: Message edited by: 8850GT ]

--------------------
02 Z06-11.0 @ 132 1.9 60'
_ _ _ _ _ ____ _ _ _ _ _
Sold:05 CTS-V-13.1@114
Sold:01 Cobra Vert-12.0@119

xcessive50
¯
Member # 2995

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for xcessive50  Ford pictures for xcessive50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i think the sportline springs are too soft if you plan to take it on the track or rail around turns on the street for that matter. softer than stock at first i think.

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com