Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » non ford question about over heating

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: non ford question about over heating
NonOpSlow2V
¯
Member # 6111

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NonOpSlow2V  Ford pictures for NonOpSlow2V    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
my daily driver GMC jummy S-15 (4.3L Vortech) has been over heating and now its way up there in the redzone...and wont come down to normal op temp. What the hell could it be?...i was thinking it may be the water pump, i checked the thermostat and it looked fine...but i also have a doubt that i mightbe the radiator too...its never been changed and the truck has 137k miles on...so far i've been walking everywhere...so if anyone can give me some tips i'd appreciate it thanks... [burnout]

--------------------
1997 Autumn Orange GT vert
1996 Mystic Cobra
2005 95ci Harley Road King
2011 F150 Raptor

Posts: 2139 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Oct 2005  |  :
two-gun kid2
¯
Member # 5891

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for two-gun kid2  Ford pictures for two-gun kid2    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by autumnstang97:
my daily driver GMC jummy S-15 (4.3L Vortech) has been over heating and now its way up there in the redzone...and wont come down to normal op temp. What the hell could it be?...i was thinking it may be the water pump, i checked the thermostat and it looked fine...but i also have a doubt that i mightbe the radiator too...its never been changed and the truck has 137k miles on...so far i've been walking everywhere...so if anyone can give me some tips i'd appreciate it thanks... [burnout]

you ever try flushing the cooling system and putting in new coolant?
Posts: 5566 | From: Hayward,Ca | Registered: Jul 2005  |  :
Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
change the thermostat and flush the coolant really good using the prestone flush kit from kragen/pepboys/wherever you go.

then fill it with new coolant and bleed the system.

gm used dextron coolant in those things and it clogs and gets fucked up

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
NonOpSlow2V
¯
Member # 6111

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NonOpSlow2V  Ford pictures for NonOpSlow2V    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i'll give that a shot...hope it works...thanks...oh yeah how the hell do you bleed the system?...is theier some type of bleed valve for it?...thanks

[ September 11, 2006, 10:20 PM: Message edited by: autumnstang97 ]

--------------------
1996 Mystic Cobra
2011 F150 Raptor

Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
just let the engine idle with the radiator cap off until the thermostat opens and all the air will come gargling out of the radiator cap opening.

it's best to either jack up the front corner with the cap or to park on an incline so that opening is the highest point to give the air the best chance at getting out.

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
modular
¯
Member # 6599

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for modular  Ford pictures for modular    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
My buddies 96 firebird did have a bleed valve on one of the lines. I doubt flushing the system will help your red zone problem. Does it lose water/ have air bubbles in the radiator, or leak from under the water pump?

--------------------
I had no idea that so many people knew everything until I joined this site.
I was prolly drunk. Get over it
***BEWARE*** COP CALLERS! Eljefe-Adower!

Posts: 548 | From: sacramento | Registered: Mar 2006  |  :
NonOpSlow2V
¯
Member # 6111

I've seen airbubbles and steam coming from near the valve cover...could this indicated a blown head gasket or a cracked head?...

--------------------
1996 Mystic Cobra
2011 F150 Raptor

Wildfire532FB
CAFords OG
Member # 1482

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wildfire532FB  Ford pictures for Wildfire532FB  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by autumnstang97:
I've seen airbubbles and steam coming from near the valve cover...could this indicated a blown head gasket or a cracked head?...

either or

--------------------
./_ _ _ ___ __\
(]]]_ _ o _ _[[[)
|\_o_ __ __o_/|
|__|..........|__|
68 Fastback
84 CJ7
94 HMMWV
95 GT
03 F350
17 Fusion Hybrid

cummins
¯
Member # 5931

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for cummins  Ford pictures for cummins    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Sounds like you need to pressure test the system.

--------------------
Your definitely jealous of my strength and brains. - 68_427_Fastback

Cummins looks like the Wendy's girl......without the pig tails. - JT

Posts: 3441 | From: The Rice Fields | Registered: Aug 2005  |  :
BlownNOSMustang
¯
Member # 158

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlownNOSMustang  Ford pictures for BlownNOSMustang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
1- Pressure test.2- Change T-Stat.3- Is the radiator clogged?(Runners).4- Does coolant run through the system? If not, Impeller. WP. Good luck.

--------------------
1993 Hatch,363 CI,670 RWHP

Posts: 238 | From: Cow Town,USA. | Registered: Feb 2001  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com